E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Earthquake SWS

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 10:50 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, so here is my story. For those of you not familiar with the Earthquake SWS', these are aftermarket subs that fit directly in the stock location of the stock subs (under each front seat).

So during Christmas, I purchased these subs and had them installed at a local shop. You have to run a different amp to the subs to provide sufficient power. My first impression - great, the subs hit pretty good but weren?t overbearing, just enough if you don?t want your ears to hurt. So, I was happy for about 1 month, then all sudden....nothing, subs went out. WTF. So I then take my car to another local shop that specializes in higher end cars and has more experience. They tell me the subs were blown (found this odd because I never cranked up the gain or volume). So, I order another pair because the shop told me that the wiring was all jacked up and the amp was a POS so that might have caused the subs to blow. (they came to this conclusion because I then told them to just hook up my stock subs to the amp....they did, and then THEY blew !, so it must be the amp (oh, which happens to be made from earthquake))

So I get my "new" subs yesterday. Take it to the same shop and they tell me BOTH subs are "stuck". The cone won?t go up or down and doesn?t move freely. They say it is possible too much glue was applied and therefore the magnet is messed up..........so I am back to square one.....basically, Earthquake is pissing me off with this BS quality. I have to send the subs in and then wait for them to diagnose the problem.

Hopefully those that already have these subs have different opinions.
Old 02-26-2009, 12:20 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i /w Sport pkg - SMG - Nav - Premium pkg - PDC - Ready to begin my modding! =)

Hey...hey...dont say that!! I just got my subs yesterday, and Im all jazzed up to take the day off of work to do my sub and amp install 2morrow!!!!

Sorry to hear about your subs being messed up.....I hope you've been at least been able to work with Earthquake to have the subs replaced under warranty??? Especially since you are using their brand of amp!

I have a Rockford Fosgate Punch 400 that I am planning to power mine with.
Old 02-26-2009, 12:27 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i /w Sport pkg - SMG - Nav - Premium pkg - PDC - Ready to begin my modding! =)

One thing I forgot to add....is if you look at the pictures of the SWS-8's on the box the speakers have a white or clear colored woofer shell, however when I got my woofers the are all black.

I wonder if maybe Earthquake Sound is not having the speaker manufatured somewhere else now...maybe somewhere where the labor is cheap and quality not so good????
Old 02-26-2009, 12:27 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by IceyTys' post='802411' date='Feb 26 2009, 05:20 PM
Hey...hey...dont say that!! I just got my subs yesterday, and Im all jazzed up to take the day off of work to do my sub and amp install 2morrow!!!!

Sorry to hear about your subs being messed up.....I hope you've been at least been able to work with Earthquake to have the subs replaced under warranty??? Especially since you are using their brand of amp!

I have a Rockford Fosgate Punch 400 that I am planning to power mine with.
Well, hopefully your experience is a lot better than mine. To make you feel at ease, when they were working, they sounded great. I think my first set of subs were fine but the amp was messed up. The second set, however, are earthquake's fault. Just make sure the subs arent stuck! Let us know how it goes, I am curious to see how your experience is compared to mine.
Old 02-26-2009, 12:28 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by mag75' post='802418' date='Feb 26 2009, 02:27 PM
Well, hopefully your experience is a lot better than mine. To make you feel at ease, when they were working, they sounded great. I think my first set of subs were fine but the amp was messed up. The second set, however, are earthquake's fault. Just make sure the subs arent stuck! Let us know how it goes, I am curious to see how your experience is compared to mine.
Will be doing my install 2morrow, so I should be able to report back in a day or two.
Old 02-26-2009, 12:29 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by IceyTys' post='802417' date='Feb 26 2009, 05:27 PM
One thing I forgot to add....is if you look at the pictures of the SWS-8's on the box the speakers have a white or clear colored woofer shell, however when I got my woofers the are all black.

I wonder if maybe Earthquake Sound is not having the speaker manufatured somewhere else now...maybe somewhere where the labor is cheap and quality not so good????

I had the same issue. My first set had a white colored woofer shell. My second set - black.

Not sure why this was but something seems fishy. Anyhow, I called Earthquake and they want me to supply a receipt, and since i purchased on ebay, I dont know how this will go. We'll see
Old 02-26-2009, 01:13 PM
Members

Wow, I got 2 of them supposedly being delivered tomorrow.. .... I think I'll check out the optional Square Trade warranty and see if it's still available.

EDIT: yep, 3 year coverage for $16..... went ahead and did it.
Old 02-26-2009, 03:13 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by mag75' post='802422' date='Feb 26 2009, 02:29 PM
I had the same issue. My first set had a white colored woofer shell. My second set - black.

Not sure why this was but something seems fishy. Anyhow, I called Earthquake and they want me to supply a receipt, and since i purchased on ebay, I dont know how this will go. We'll see
Mag.....

So I got home and inspected both subs...well one of them is not moving freely....its sticking, so I am assuming there is an issue. I am contacting my seller to see if they will send me another sub. Id be willing to be Earthquake is turning out a new batch and there's something wrong with them.

Stay tuned
Old 02-26-2009, 04:42 PM
Members

Originally Posted by IceyTys' post='802553' date='Feb 26 2009, 07:13 PM
Mag.....

So I got home and inspected both subs...well one of them is not moving freely....its sticking, so I am assuming there is an issue. I am contacting my seller to see if they will send me another sub. Id be willing to be Earthquake is turning out a new batch and there's something wrong with them.

Stay tuned
Ebay? What seller??
Old 02-26-2009, 08:01 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by tom281' post='802623' date='Feb 26 2009, 06:42 PM
Ebay? What seller??

Stereo Needs, I just email them earlier to discuss returning and exchangin the 1 speaker. I hope to hear something back 2morrow

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=320341132259

Quick Reply: Earthquake SWS