E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

e92 LED License Plate Bulbs- PROBLEM!

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 06:49 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i - Deep Sea Blue Metallic, Black Nasca Leather w/ Ventilated Seats, Anthracite Headliner, Sport Pkg, Premium Pkg, Cold Weather Pkg, Sport Auto Transmission w/ Shift Paddles, PDC, Rear Side Airbag, Automatic Sunshades, Heads Up Display, Sat, HD Radio, Navigation, Logic 7

I have been having a ton of problems trying to get LED bulbs to work with my 2008 535 licenese plate lights w/o throwing error codes. I have tried 3 sets of the bulbs from Trinity Autosport and they all have errors. I have found a pair that eventually clears themselves after the car has been on for 1 minute, but I do not want the error code to show up at all from initial start.

In doing research, it looks like I am going to need some resistors from Radio Shack to prevent those errors from happening, and I will go doen that route if need be.

In talking with Garry @ Newport BMW, he told me he has sold some LED fixures that they are putting in the new e92 3-series to e60 membors and they have been working great with no error codes.

So I bought the kit from him and figured I would give it a try. It consists of 2 new bulb housings that replace the factory housings that come with the e60. The LED's are built in, so it is all one unit that would need to be replaced if they ever burned out.

The connectors are different that the e60, so there is are new plugs and wires that comes with it to splice into the e60 wiring.

Anyway, I did everything and got them installed. They look great and I like these units better than the led bulb swaps that people habe been doing on this forum, since they are OEM.

They work but they still give me lamp error codes, but these errors never clear themselves. I wonder if these need resistirs too? I would think any resistor needed would be built into the bulb housing.

Anyway, Garry told me he has sold about dozen of these kits to e60 forum members w/o problems.

To those people who have gone this route, did it work for you or are your getting errors as well? Do I need to take this to my delaer to have them clear the errors?

PLEASE HELP!
Old 08-21-2008, 07:19 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2010 VW Passat Wagon 2.0l Tsi Grey/Grey Budapest 18" Lost to HPFP issues: 08 535i sport pkg Lost to Dreaded E61 Sun roof leaks: 07 E61 530Xi

Check out the group buys section, there is a buy going on for Resistors for the said e92 leds... it's like $50 just for the resistors plus the 36 for the leds from Gery.

I have the same issue with the error codes, it's always the Right side one never the left one. It clears after I put the car in drive or reverse.

The Ebay ones are like X100 worse.
Old 08-21-2008, 07:21 AM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: MY07 525xi Silver Gray
Model Year: 2007

Is your LED light from Garry has p/n = 63 26 7 193 293?
Try check w/ some members like bruce miranda or KnIgHtCoM for their LED license plate retrofit cable.
Old 08-21-2008, 09:00 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535i - Deep Sea Blue Metallic, Black Nasca Leather w/ Ventilated Seats, Anthracite Headliner, Sport Pkg, Premium Pkg, Cold Weather Pkg, Sport Auto Transmission w/ Shift Paddles, PDC, Rear Side Airbag, Automatic Sunshades, Heads Up Display, Sat, HD Radio, Navigation, Logic 7

Originally Posted by BlaSTiWi' post='651493' date='Aug 21 2008, 10:21 AM
Is your LED light from Garry has p/n = 63 26 7 193 293?
Try check w/ some members like bruce miranda or KnIgHtCoM for their LED license plate retrofit cable.
Yes, it is that part number.

After doing some searching, it look slike this project is more of a pain in the azz that I want it to be.

I think I going to talk to Bruce Miranda and buy his retro cables.

Thanks
Old 08-21-2008, 10:05 AM
Former Vendor

My Ride: 14 550i

Try bending the contact points so it holds the LEDs from Trinity Autosport better. This has helped some people including myself.

Michael
Old 08-21-2008, 01:51 PM
Members

Originally Posted by myfootsmells' post='651582' date='Aug 21 2008, 01:05 PM
Try bending the contact points so it holds the LEDs from Trinity Autosport better. This has helped some people including myself.

Michael
I will try that, thanks.

I just ordered a set of cables that Bruce_miranda makes that has the resistors and everything needed to make the OEM fixtures work.

They ran $37 including shipping. I hope they solve all my issues.

At this point, I am obsessed to get them working.

I wonder if I would have the same type of error codes if I replaced the interior bulbs w/ LED's. Trinity has a kit to to this, but I do now want to have to deal with multiple sets of errors codes.
Old 08-21-2008, 01:56 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: MY07 525xi Silver Gray
Model Year: 2007

I don't think iDrive monitor interior lights, easiest way to test take out one (or each one) and see if it's trip the iDrive.

Originally Posted by Dalton550' post='651756' date='Aug 21 2008, 04:51 PM
[...]
I wonder if I would have the same type of error codes if I replaced the interior bulbs w/ LED's. Trinity has a kit to to this, but I do now want to have to deal with multiple sets of errors codes.
Old 08-21-2008, 11:50 PM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

Only exterior bulbs will give you an error.
Old 09-03-2008, 08:02 PM
Members

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda' post='652045' date='Aug 22 2008, 02:50 AM
Only exterior bulbs will give you an error.
I got the cables from Bruce_miranda and they are AWESOME. They worked perfectaly and look OEM. No errors and the resistor he has in them runs very cool. Thanks for the cables!
Old 09-03-2008, 08:14 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 08 535i, A/T & Paddle Shifters, AW, NB Leather, Sport, Premium, Nav, 6FL

Originally Posted by Dalton550' post='661397' date='Sep 3 2008, 09:02 PM
I got the cables from Bruce_miranda and they are AWESOME. They worked perfectaly and look OEM. No errors and the resistor he has in them runs very cool. Thanks for the cables!
hey can you post pics of the cables and installed night time pics? also, is the cable plug and play or do you have to cut and splice? thanks!

Quick Reply: e92 LED License Plate Bulbs- PROBLEM!