E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

E60 preLCI stop and go Cruise retrofit

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2020, 11:47 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 535d e61 max options
Default E60 preLCI stop and go Cruise retrofit

Hello.
I am new to this forum and thanks for having me. I am driving 535d with almost every possible option. I got cic retrofit, LCI cluster with white LEDs, LSD diff and so on. One Last thing I want to do to the car is get stop&go active cruise. Now I have normal active Cruise. I saw threads about this retrofit but I havent found any that are done to preLCI car. Can someone Point me in right direction? I have acc radar on car. What Else do i need to make this happen? Will be looking for replies. Thanks
Old 03-25-2020, 10:26 PM
New Members

Ive seen posts about user BenAnd. He isnt active anymore. Maybe he has instagram? Can anyone give me his contact details? Any?
Old 10-13-2020, 03:50 PM
zok
New Members

My Ride: E60 530xd

I've done it, not as easy task as it sounds, it is way more extensive. I didn't have ACC before but that doesn't change anything as all you can use from your ACC is a stalk, a radar holder and plastic grill trim.

Things that have to be replaced or added for a preLCI car:
-radar - ACC has to be replaced with LRR
-2x SRR with holders
-LDM module
-airbag module
-driver's occupancy sensor (in a seat - there isn't one in a preLCI seat!)
-KGM module (and make another CAN line from KGM to diagnostic port as preLCI uses k-line for OBD port, and LCI uses D-CAN)
-instrument cluster (of corse unsolder eeprom, correct odo and VIN, resolder it back in - warning - odo can be only increased, it is incremental register and can be decreased only with special programmers, made specially for mileage correction)
-DSC/DXC pump (not to mention that you have to fabricate a 39-pin to 47-pin electric adapter, that is a whole project for itself - oh and official wiring diagram has a wrong polarity of a front left ABS sensor - at least for an xdrive version)
-last but not least, the ECU, yes, the engine control unit. That is not an easy task as preLCI and LCI engines while very very similar, are not identical. I am lucky to be in the tuning biz for years, so put my old ISN into the ECU EEPROM (btw WinOLS doesn't know how to calculate checksums so had to reverse engineer and recalculate it manually), sync it with CAS, recalibrate injectors (put preLCI map into LCI ECU), reset adaptations and disable DTCs for communjcation with (LCI) gearbox... ...was quite of a task. Oh and then came up an oil level sensor fault (has to be another, more expensive type, and has to be rewired from dedicated port to BSD line).
-as you're at it you're best off if you fabricate yourself a radar alignment tools, cost of it is only few euros while proper alignment at the dealer's cost 100 eur and up.
-I intentionally didn't write about new wiring as I am sure I must have forgotten few things anyway...

Ah, yes! Coding, coding, coding... Nothing is as it was, you have to operate with fake (LCI) model codes and fake production dates to get that default configuration on some modules, and real model code and production date to code other modules... ...but on the end it works. Just don't let anyone else code your car. Ever again. Specially not a dealer, they would have no idea how to get that... ...thing... ...working again.

I am sure there is not enough gain from a stop and go function for so much work and cost if you already have ACC. Simply not worth the hassle. Would I do it again? No, I would simply buy an ACC radar, a stalk, holder, connector, trim and do the preLCI ACC, from 25 km/h and up they work identical, and I rarely use it under 55 km/h.

Regards,
Zok

Last edited by zok; 10-13-2020 at 04:18 PM. Reason: Typos, forgot to write few things...
Old 10-13-2020, 09:07 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by zok
I've done it, not as easy task as it sounds, it is way more extensive. I didn't have ACC before but that doesn't change anything as all you can use from your ACC is a stalk, a radar holder and plastic grill trim.

Things that have to be replaced or added for a preLCI car:
-radar - ACC has to be replaced with LRR
-2x SRR with holders
-LDM module
-airbag module
-driver's occupancy sensor (in a seat - there isn't one in a preLCI seat!)
-KGM module (and make another CAN line from KGM to diagnostic port as preLCI uses k-line for OBD port, and LCI uses D-CAN)
-instrument cluster (of corse unsolder eeprom, correct odo and VIN, resolder it back in - warning - odo can be only increased, it is incremental register and can be decreased only with special programmers, made specially for mileage correction)
-DSC/DXC pump (not to mention that you have to fabricate a 39-pin to 47-pin electric adapter, that is a whole project for itself - oh and official wiring diagram has a wrong polarity of a front left ABS sensor - at least for an xdrive version)
-last but not least, the ECU, yes, the engine control unit. That is not an easy task as preLCI and LCI engines while very very similar, are not identical. I am lucky to be in the tuning biz for years, so put my old ISN into the ECU EEPROM (btw WinOLS doesn't know how to calculate checksums so had to reverse engineer and recalculate it manually), sync it with CAS, recalibrate injectors (put preLCI map into LCI ECU), reset adaptations and disable DTCs for communjcation with (LCI) gearbox... ...was quite of a task. Oh and then came up an oil level sensor fault (has to be another, more expensive type, and has to be rewired from dedicated port to BSD line).
-as you're at it you're best off if you fabricate yourself a radar alignment tools, cost of it is only few euros while proper alignment at the dealer's cost 100 eur and up.
-I intentionally didn't write about new wiring as I am sure I must have forgotten few things anyway...

Ah, yes! Coding, coding, coding... Nothing is as it was, you have to operate with fake (LCI) model codes and fake production dates to get that default configuration on some modules, and real model code and production date to code other modules... ...but on the end it works. Just don't let anyone else code your car. Ever again. Specially not a dealer, they would have no idea how to get that... ...thing... ...working again.

I am sure there is not enough gain from a stop and go function for so much work and cost if you already have ACC. Simply not worth the hassle. Would I do it again? No, I would simply buy an ACC radar, a stalk, holder, connector, trim and do the preLCI ACC, from 25 km/h and up they work identical, and I rarely use it under 55 km/h.

Regards,
Zok

thank you so much.
Old 02-10-2021, 12:50 AM
New Members

My Ride: e60 530i

G'day Zok,

I've been curious about this retrofit on my e60 530i. I'm on the hunt for a detailed 'how-to' for the 5 series, but for starters to add ACC I'd need a radar, stalk, wiring, coding, and a grill.. is there anything else needed? modules or such?

Love to hear your thoughts,

Cheers,

Ben
Old 02-10-2021, 12:53 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by Sir_Benalot
G'day Zok,

I've been curious about this retrofit on my e60 530i. I'm on the hunt for a detailed 'how-to' for the 5 series, but for starters to add ACC I'd need a radar, stalk, wiring, coding, and a grill.. is there anything else needed? modules or such?

Love to hear your thoughts,

Cheers,

Ben
Hey. I totalled my 535d. Acc radar and everything looks intact. If you are interested, i can providr with everything needed. My vin is Cr7one53nine, you can check if it suits you
Old 02-10-2021, 01:00 AM
New Members

Ooh sounds very tempting. Your's is a 2006 LHD, and mine is a late 2007 RHD.. dunno if it matters or not? Honestly, I'm way out of my depth doing this sort of mod. I'd need someone holding my hand through the whole process. I mean, conceptually it sounds straight forward; add a radar, change the stalk, wire the two into the cars loom and code the car to recognise it now has ACC. But I know there must be way more to it than that.

Ben

Old 02-10-2021, 01:02 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by Sir_Benalot
Ooh sounds very tempting. Your's is a 2006 LHD, and mine is a late 2007 RHD.. dunno if it matters or not? Honestly, I'm way out of my depth doing this sort of mod. I'd need someone holding my hand through the whole process. I mean, conceptually it sounds straight forward; add a radar, change the stalk, wire the two into the cars loom and code the car to recognise it now has ACC. But I know there must be way more to it than that.

Ben
Game your time. Im still waiting on insurance to see how much they want for it. Talk with some guys and decide.
Old 02-10-2021, 01:11 AM
New Members

Game your time? Not sure what that means, but ok. Currently lugging through realOEM to find a parts list for non stop/start ACC. Think I'd have much better luck trying to install a simpler 'above 30 only' version of ACC
Old 02-10-2021, 01:12 AM
New Members

Take your time* autocorrected

Quick Reply: E60 preLCI stop and go Cruise retrofit