E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

E60 mirror pinout

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 02:11 PM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Question for bruce or Blood since they have messed around with mirrors a lot it seems
I want to know what is the pin layout of my factory mirrors (basic mirrors electric+heated, no autofold)
The car is manufactured on 22.09.2005 so I believe it is a post sept/05 and it should have one 4 pin connector for each mirror.

Does anyone have any pdf/instructions as to what each cable is deisignated for?
Would like to know if there is any ignition trigger wire around the mirror plug that can be tapped into.

Bruce since I have basic mirrors, nothing goes from mirrors through the LIN bus right? That's just mirrors with all the extras like electrochrom. lights, folding etc.
Old 01-28-2012, 09:19 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

Your car 'should' have the single 4 pin connector.

The reason I say 'should' is that it's not unheard of for the factory to continue to use older stuff especially in the change over month of Sep. But 99% you should have the single plug.

The KGM is driving the mirror directly, not the LIN bus.

You won't find an ignition trigger wire easily. What are you trying to do?
Old 01-28-2012, 12:50 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda
Your car 'should' have the single 4 pin connector.

The reason I say 'should' is that it's not unheard of for the factory to continue to use older stuff especially in the change over month of Sep. But 99% you should have the single plug.

The KGM is driving the mirror directly, not the LIN bus.

You won't find an ignition trigger wire easily. What are you trying to do?
Ah was wondering. Some after market mirror with autofold. Not as nice looking as the nvd ones but apparently it is possible to connect the two wires for autofold function.
I am manually folding my mirrors everyday so it would be handy. This type: http://www.ssdd-motorsport.com/show_...hp?prod_id=708

Where do you reckon it would be easiest to tap into ignition? fusebox? I suppose wires would need to be run from each mirror to that point right?
Also what are each of the 4 wires functions?
I will take off one door panel to check when the weather gets a bit better.
Old 01-29-2012, 09:03 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by sd_dracula
Ah was wondering. Some after market mirror with autofold. Not as nice looking as the nvd ones but apparently it is possible to connect the two wires for autofold function.
I am manually folding my mirrors everyday so it would be handy. This type: http://www.ssdd-motorsport.com/show_...hp?prod_id=708

Where do you reckon it would be easiest to tap into ignition? fusebox? I suppose wires would need to be run from each mirror to that point right?
Also what are each of the 4 wires functions?
I will take off one door panel to check when the weather gets a bit better.
Does anyone know what each of the 4 wires function in the mirror plug is?

In the form:

Pin 1 - red - power+
Pin 2 - black - power- etc
Old 01-29-2012, 10:10 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2007 ★ Alpine White

Like the mirrors you picked. I'm still new to all this modding stuff besides doing the simple lights. Do they make a easy plug and play folding mirror?
Old 01-29-2012, 12:51 PM
Senior Members

Not plug and play unfortunately that's why I need to know the factory plug pinout.
Old 01-30-2012, 12:13 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

E60 mirror pinout-mirror.jpg

See diagram from WDS for more details. Attached.

You won't find a constant 12V on the passenger's side. On the driver's side you can take 12V from the driver's switch panel.
Old 01-30-2012, 07:27 AM
Senior Members

Cheers Bruce, so to get 12V on the passenger I would need to run that cable all the way to the driver's door?
How about the KGM module for the passenger's side 12V? Is that module in the glove box somewhere so I could just tap the same cable that goes to the driver's door switch instead of running it all the way through the dash?
And what do you think the car will pick up a High battery drain message if I were to do that?