E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

E60 LCI HID Angel Eyes Mod

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2012, 02:50 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Everyone,

Well, let me start out by saying... If your thinking about doing HIDs for your angel eyes just save yourself the headache and by John's kit from Motorcepts.

I have spent about twice the amount I would have if I just bought from John. I have gone through 2 different ballast's, 2 sets of balbs, 4 resistors, 2 different relays, and more time I than I wanted to spend.

Now for my problem...
Long story short, I finally installed my HID AE's and I thought it was working fine. No errors, no flickering, just bright AE's. Then I had to use my headlights. Once I turned those on I saw my AE's flickering and my Headlight wouldn't turn on. Then I put it in adaptive mode and the AE's were still flickering but my headlights came on that time. At the time I only had the regular ballasts wired with the resistors. That's when I decided to get the relay to see if that would fix my issue. Now... my AE's work fine, and my headlights turn on, but when I turn on my headlight my AE's turn off and will only turn back on when I turn off the car and turn it back on. I hope this is all making sense to everyone. I see in all the pics of people's cars that they have their headlights on with the HID AE's so I know I'm doing something wrong.

Can anyone one please help me out with this... and I know the obvious, just should of got John's kit.

Thanks for any help,

Alex
Old 08-21-2012, 03:18 PM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 08 528i TiAg Premium/Cold Weather Pkg, 20% Tint, Technic Harness, JL Audio 12W7, JL HD 750/1 and LOTS of lighting mods!!!!!

How did you wire your kit? FYI you need to modify your relay harness for it to work. What kind of ballast's do you have? Does your relay make a lot of noise?

Johns kit is great! But since you already pieced together your own kit I could probably help you identify the problem.

This is what you should have if you're making your own HID AE kit.

1. HID Ballast's + Bulbs
2. a set of resistors (I used 50W DDM)
3. a capacitor (not sure on the voltage I'll check later)
4. A relay harness
5. lots of wiretaps/wire joints and electrical tape

Let me know...
Old 08-21-2012, 03:23 PM
Members

I have the stock harness from the car going into the resistor (which are 6ohm 50w) then the resistor to the spliced to the relay and plugged into the non-canbus ballast. I don't have a capacitor (don't even know what that is). I didn't see that in John's kit. As for the relay making noise... I didn't really listen to it. What kind of sound is it supposed to make?

I have everything on your list except the capacitor.

Originally Posted by MORI3L
How did you wire your kit? FYI you need to modify your relay harness for it to work. What kind of ballast's do you have? Does your relay make a lot of noise?

Johns kit is great! But since you already pieced together your own kit I could probably help you identify the problem.

This is what you should have if you're making your own HID AE kit.

1. HID Ballast's + Bulbs
2. a set of resistors (I used 50W DDM)
3. a capacitor (not sure on the voltage I'll check later)
4. A relay harness
5. lots of wiretaps/wire joints and electrical tape

Let me know...
Old 08-21-2012, 06:59 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

John's kit is awesome....just waiting on a sale of some sort! 240 dolla lotta money!
Old 08-22-2012, 04:24 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Jim165
John's kit is awesome....just waiting on a sale of some sort! 240 dolla lotta money!
I think he dropped the price to $200

https://5series.net/forums/topic/967.../page__st__215

Old 08-22-2012, 04:44 AM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by atlninerfan
I think he dropped the price to $200

https://5series.net/forums/topic/967.../page__st__215
Hey! Thanks for that, atl. I didn't realize that there was a price drop. Appreciate it...
Old 08-22-2012, 07:02 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 08 528i TiAg Premium/Cold Weather Pkg, 20% Tint, Technic Harness, JL Audio 12W7, JL HD 750/1 and LOTS of lighting mods!!!!!

Originally Posted by atlninerfan
I have the stock harness from the car going into the resistor (which are 6ohm 50w) then the resistor to the spliced to the relay and plugged into the non-canbus ballast. I don't have a capacitor (don't even know what that is). I didn't see that in John's kit. As for the relay making noise... I didn't really listen to it. What kind of sound is it supposed to make?

I have everything on your list except the capacitor.
This is the way you should have things wired:

12V out from car (9006 cable) > Resistor > Capacitor > Relay Harness > Ballast > Bulb

The car will drop the voltage on the AE line when the low beams turn on which might explain why your AE shut off. The capacitor will keep it at 12V consistent so as to keep the relay on 100% of the time.

Now the question is....which capacitor? I'm sure theres a better way to do this but I just spliced one of my warning cancelors into the front of my relay harness and everything works 100% (see the link below)

My link

Hope this helps!
Old 08-23-2012, 09:42 AM
Banned

My Ride: A Car

alex, send me a PM and let me help you out.
Old 08-23-2012, 10:07 AM
Senior Members

Johns the man, love my hid ae kit from him.
Old 08-23-2012, 11:24 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 530i N52
Model Year: 2006
Engine: n52

^^^+1000000000^^^^

Quick Reply: E60 LCI HID Angel Eyes Mod