E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

E60 LCI Halogen Lighting

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 10:51 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

Well, technically it's not illegal to have HID system for high beam, it's just that it's not that necessary unless you do need that much more light. If you think about it, LCI xenons uses HID as high beam via the projector as well.
Old 10-10-2011, 11:04 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nomis_nehc
Well, technically it's not illegal to have HID system for high beam, it's just that it's not that necessary unless you do need that much more light. If you think about it, LCI xenons uses HID as high beam via the projector as well.
well yea, I know. But it'd be a whole different story if you happen to accidentally flash your HID high beam at its highest intensity while following a cop's car.
My friend driving a SUV (with HID kits) followed a police car for about 45 seconds at a decent following distance in town, he got pulled over (along with me in the passenger seat) and was given a "tailgating ticket", and was told that he needs to go and readjust his headlights.
I think that tailgating ticket is just BS because I was in passenger seat the whole time and didn't think the following distance was that closed enough to get a ticket. So my friend and I think it's only because of his HID light going right into the cops' eyes as his SUV is higher than the cop's car.

As you know, I once thought I would put HID in my hi too but just rethought I wouldn't take any risk until I have money to install a quad projector like you LOL. idk, maybe it's just me.
Old 10-10-2011, 11:11 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 08 528i TiAg Premium/Cold Weather Pkg, 20% Tint, Technic Harness, JL Audio 12W7, JL HD 750/1 and LOTS of lighting mods!!!!!

Originally Posted by Gizzler
well yea, I know. But it'd be a whole different story if you happen to accidentally flash your HID high beam at its highest intensity while following a cop's car.
My friend driving a SUV (with HID kits) followed a police car for about 45 seconds at a decent following distance in town, he got pulled over (along with me in the passenger seat) and was given a "tailgating ticket", and was told that he needs to go and readjust his headlights.
I think that tailgating ticket is just BS because I was in passenger seat the whole time and didn't think the following distance was that closed enough to get a ticket. So my friend and I think it's only because of his HID light going right into the cops' eyes as his SUV is higher than the cop's car.

As you know, I once thought I would put HID in my hi too but just rethought I wouldn't take any risk until I have money to install a quad projector like you LOL. idk, maybe it's just me.
The thing is that I want the least amount of cop attention possible and not spend too much cash (which is why I don't really want to go HID at this time) and just swap out bulbs...I will drop some money for LED angel eyes if I can find a compatible set...lets see what John tells me. Hopefully theres something

Heres an updated list:

Hi/Lo beam (H7): Philips Diamond Vision, Philips X-treme Vision, Osram Nightbreakers.
Fogs (H8): GP Thunder??
Angel Eyes (H10W): TBA
License Plate (6418): GP Thunder 6418

Are the fogs xenon?? If so maybe I could just use the GP thunders??
Old 10-10-2011, 11:23 AM
Members

Originally Posted by MORI3L
The thing is that I want the least amount of cop attention possible and not spend too much cash (which is why I don't really want to go HID at this time) and just swap out bulbs...I will drop some money for LED angel eyes if I can find a compatible set...lets see what John tells me. Hopefully theres something

Heres an updated list:

Hi/Lo beam (H7): Philips Diamond Vision, Philips X-treme Vision, Osram Nightbreakers.
Fogs (H8): GP Thunder??
Angel Eyes (H10W): TBA
License Plate (6418): GP Thunder 6418

Are the fogs xenon?? If so maybe I could just use the GP thunders??
Let me tell you what mine cost me
from ddmtuning
55W HID kit with slim ballast for low beam = $55
35W HID raptor kit for fog = $35
Error code eliminator 2 pairs = 30 bucks (did not need them except for Fog raptor kit which flickers) returned a pair so only $15. So i'd recommend you to get the slim ballast. I contacted ddmtuning and they agree to swap mine with slim ballasts but I'm just too lazy to take them off again.
a small box of tools from walmart to take off the whole headlight=$10
Velcro from homedepot=$10(I bought extra length just in case)

So, with shipping and taxes, I only spent around 150 bucks in total for both low-beam and fog.
Old 10-10-2011, 11:28 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 08 528i TiAg Premium/Cold Weather Pkg, 20% Tint, Technic Harness, JL Audio 12W7, JL HD 750/1 and LOTS of lighting mods!!!!!

Let me tell you what mine cost me
from ddmtuning
55W HID kit with slim ballast for low beam = $55
35W HID raptor kit for fog = $35
Error code eliminator 2 pairs = 30 bucks (did not need them except for Fog raptor kit which flickers) returned a pair so only $15. So i'd recommend you to get the slim ballast. I contacted ddmtuning and they agree to swap mine with slim ballasts but I'm just too lazy to take them off again.
a small box of tools from walmart to take off the whole headlight=$10
Velcro from homedepot=$10(I bought extra length just in case)

So, with shipping and taxes, I only spent around 150 bucks in total for both low-beam and fog.
Interesting.....this one is tempting...okay...lets see what i'm told about the angel eyes..and either way I need to swap out the hi's for one of the listed bulbs so it looks decent.
Old 10-10-2011, 11:32 AM
Members

It's up to your opinions for your triggers.
You guys can see me as a cheap guy!!
With my budget (I'm still a community college student), I did weeks of research and chose the best choice with the price I want.
And I'm VERY PLEASED with the results I got.

My decisions were made after 3 weeks of FULL RESEARCH!! literally reading the forums the whole days...

So, I'm just writing those up to help some guys in my situations save some time!!
Old 10-10-2011, 11:36 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

Which SUV is it? I am guessing it's a reflector based headlights. With that said, with the vehicle being higher up, and reflector, I can imagine why the cop would be pissed. The light was probably blinding and makes the person in front of you think you are closer than you really are -- especially if the lights are not pointed correctly as well. I think your friend is lucky that the cop gave him a break. If cops really want to make his life miserable, he could've ordered a state inspection and basically bent him over.

As for doing quad projector. To be honest, I don't think many people, if anyone else, will do this either by me or themselves. The reason is because the hardware alone are about $300, and that's pretty much more than what most would be willing to pay. In theory, it would be possible to find used "alike" projectors but you run into the issue of sizing problem for installation and other complications. I am thinking my set will be the only one for a long while
Old 10-10-2011, 11:44 AM
Members

Originally Posted by nomis_nehc
Which SUV is it? I am guessing it's a reflector based headlights. With that said, with the vehicle being higher up, and reflector, I can imagine why the cop would be pissed. The light was probably blinding and makes the person in front of you think you are closer than you really are -- especially if the lights are not pointed correctly as well. I think your friend is lucky that the cop gave him a break. If cops really want to make his life miserable, he could've ordered a state inspection and basically bent him over.

As for doing quad projector. To be honest, I don't think many people, if anyone else, will do this either by me or themselves. The reason is because the hardware alone are about $300, and that's pretty much more than what most would be willing to pay. In theory, it would be possible to find used "alike" projectors but you run into the issue of sizing problem for installation and other complications. I am thinking my set will be the only one for a long while
Toyota 4 runner!
A break? As far as I know tailgating tickets cost you like closed to 1k. Another friend of mine got a tailgating ticket in NJ (when i used to live there), and he had to hire a lawyer to not get 5 points on his license and he paid like 1.5 k in total.
Haven't heard any update about the fine from the 4runner friend, but i don't think that'll be cheap.

Oh and yes, that's why i said until i have MONEY to install 'em. For me, I've to add labor (for anything about headlights, believe me I'll just come straight to you ) too as I'm not a professional like you. It's just that I'm still saving up money to do blackout, lens swap and orions
Old 10-10-2011, 11:54 AM
Senior Members

These for the fogs??? And maybe go HID on the los and LED on the angels?

Not sure if that bulb will work though cause its a xenon bulb??
Old 10-10-2011, 12:06 PM
Members

Originally Posted by MORI3L
These for the fogs??? And maybe go HID on the los and LED on the angels?

Not sure if that bulb will work though cause its a xenon bulb??
Those will work. GP thunder claims it's xenon but it's not, those are just halogen!! Their descriptions are deceiving in many ways. I've even tested 55W GP thunder bulbs. They AREN'T as bright as one would expect (maybe it's just me). But if you need a pair of 55W H7 GP thunder 80000k temperature (BRAND NEW), i just tested them and didn't meet my expectation, you can come pick them up from me for 15 bucks(i paid $20).

I did a typo and it's now edited!!

Quick Reply: E60 LCI Halogen Lighting