E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

E60 and Dension 500 - help needed please

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2008, 04:11 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: MY RIDE is DA real .-) HAMANN 5 aka BLACK MAMBA born on 16/06/2005/delivered on 05/08/2005 as following: 530dA (steptronic), Black II (JET), leather Dakota auburn black, mapple trim, head-up display, dynamic drive, active steering, adaptive xenon headlights (auto levelling) with headlight washers, alarm, comfort seats with massage function, advanced A/C, big compartment armrest, aux-in, MP3, Logic 7, Radio PRO, CD in-dash+cd changer, power rear sunshades, rear airbags, park distance control, auto dimming folding mirrors, smoking package, shiny shadow line (individual), fold down rear seats, ski bag, sport suspension, run flats on �116-style� rims (Good Year NCT5+), cup holders, debadged, fire extinguishers, additional permanent power outlet, BMW coat hanger, trunk release button (installed by Hobi), GPS tracking device and a big thx 2 Iceman. Mods done: � Authentic HAMANN FRONT APRON Including ellipsoid fog lights Item-No.: 10 060 110 � Authentic HAMANN REAR SPOILER Item-No.: 10 060 130, � Authentic HAMANN HAMANN ALUMINIUM PEDALS For cars with manual gearbox Item-No.: 80 099 100 81,00 For cars with automatic transmission Item-No.: 80 099 120 � Authentic HAMANN FOOT REST In aluminium For left-hand drive vehicles Item No. : 80 099 122 � Authentic HAMANN HAND-BRAKE LEVER In aluminium For left- and right-hand drive cars Item No. : 80 099 216 � Authentic HAMANN Idrive of alu (sorry this is the only one in the World) but you can have it in carbon fiber , � Authentic HAMANN EXCLUSIVE FLOORMAT SET In black with HAMANN logo in silver For left-hand drive cars Item-No. : 80 060 120 For right-hand drive cars Item-No. : 80 060 � Authentic HAMANN COVER FOR OIL FILLER CAP In aluminium Item-No.: 80 099 117 � Authentic HAMANN SPORT REAR MUFFLER 4 TAILPIPES Sport rear muffler with four round stainless-steel tailpipes ( � 76mm ) Item-No.: 50 060 111 � Authentic HAMANN new add-on for M pack rear with diffusor for quad pipes -AVAILABLE NOW (http://forums.e60.net/index.php?act=ST&f=22&t=30630&st=0#entry332409) � ///M steering wheel w Pegasus logo (this will be also changed to three spoke sports) � ///M pack rear � HAMANN ECU upgrade 265 HP 608 Nm. most improtant: �real and working like a charm forumsbuy real LED tails and PIAA 4700k fogs!!! for HAMANN full front apron you need H3 � CustomAngels, Angel Eyes Brighter than stocks 10X, WHITE & (REd for shows). � Authentic HAMANN LIGHT-ALLOY WHEELS DESIGN EDITION RACE 20" Ultra-light forged 3-pieced light-alloy wheel, Cross-spoke-design,Spider in black, titanium, screwing,polished flange DIMENSIONS : 9.0 J x 20 FA Item No.: 91 207 315 10.5 J x 20 only RA Item No.: 91 207 625 Recommended 20" Complete Wheel Set DESIGN EDITION RACE I went with most aggressive Combination A.10 FA 9.0 J x 20 / RA 10.5 J x 20 with tires: FA 245/30 ZR 20 / RA 285/25 ZR 20 � Authentic HAMANN LOWERING KIT 4 progressive sport springs Lowering by approx. 40 mm FA, 20 mm RA Item-No.: 20 060 125 � Authentic HAMANN TIRE - PRESSURE CHECK SENSOR SYSTEM � Authentic HAMANN SIDE SILLS Item-No.: 10 060 120 � Authentic HAMANN REAL CF ROOF SPOLIER Item-No.: 10 060 235 � Authentic HAMANN AIRBAG SPORT STEERING WHEEL 3-SPOKE Three-spoke design w their SMG paddles (For assembly O.E. airbag in exchange) � Authentic HAMANN sports mirrors (all functions) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and of course !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! E60.net Clings Still to do list;-): � Our Hobi's camera system from : ww.switchchange.com). � Individual leather interior (auburn+auburn alcantara)... and drive with sheer drivin' pleasure ... until 2009/2010 F10 comes or E60 possibly a 540d V8 diesel early in 2009 badly juiced!

does anyone want one? or X5 you do not need this there is the USB working, on D500 Gateway for sale PM
Old 10-30-2008, 08:18 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 03 BMW E60 520i - Steptronic - Black Sapphire - Style 116 wheels (Pirelli PZero Rosso) - PDC - Beige Dakota Leather - Dark Poplar Wood

There is a lot of confusion regarding BMW's radios and Dension compatibility. I don't know why Dension insist that M-ASK is not text capable since this is partially true! For E60 there are four types of headunits:

1. M-ASK Business Radio (no mp3 --> no text)
2. M-ASK Professional Radio (mp3 + text capable)
3. M-ASK Business Navigation --> M-ASK Professional Radio (mp3 + text capable)
4. CCC Professional Navigation (mp3 + text capable + much more...)

In your case GW500 it will be able to show text since you have a Professional Radio. I have it in my car for almost a month and I really like it. Have a look at this thread. If you have any questions PM me.
Old 10-30-2008, 03:14 PM
Members

Originally Posted by kekkos' post='707636' date='Oct 30 2008, 04:18 PM
There is a lot of confusion regarding BMW's radios and Dension compatibility. I don't know why Dension insist that M-ASK is not text capable since this is partially true! For E60 there are four types of headunits:

In your case GW500 it will be able to show text since you have a Professional Radio. I have it in my car for almost a month and I really like it. Have a look at this thread. If you have any questions PM me.
Thanks to Kekkos for this clarification.

Since my last post, I have managed to check out the text display thing. I burned an MP3 CD (itself a less than straightforward task if you downloaded the tracks from iTunes in standard protected format, but there are numerous tutorials on UTube to show how to do this) and put it in my centre CD/DVD drive and - drum roll - it showed the track names, which I guess confirms text capability as indicated above. However, my 6CD unit refused to recognise this disk. I assume this is a limitation of the 6CD unit itself, but as always there is that little trace of doubt.

Bruce Miranda, you are such a prolific contributor (12 pages of posts when I searched under your name) that I may well have missed this, in which case I apologise, but would you be kind enough to confirm which of the 4 unit types mentioned above you have? Mine is type 3. Your posts also referred to the BTA-1000, but as I have Bluetooth integration working just fine already, I guess I don't need that piece, and nor do I need to retrofit business satnav (which I hate anyway, and would not recommend to my worst enemy, but that is a whole other story.)

Finally which specific Dension model did you buy, did you have to order any specific adaptors with it, did you get the correct instructions, and did you have to update any firmware? By all means just point me at the correct posting if you have already covered all this.

Given that the Dension is merely emulating a CD changer, I'm struggling to see how they justify the (UK) price of ?280 or so for the 500 model, but I can just about live with this if it will do the job and the installation is painless.

Thanks again.
Old 11-01-2008, 12:18 PM
Members

Originally Posted by caldersj' post='706632' date='Oct 29 2008, 02:25 PM
Many thanks. In that case ?280 seems rather a lot to pay if you won't get full track listings. Presumably this is a limitation of the M-ASK unit, so no-one else will have a better solution. Are you aware of any cheaper options (excluding the FM radio signal option, which I would not be happy with)?

(And boy do I regret not doing more research before I bought the car. I assumed that I-Drive was I-Drive and that was that.)
I saw something advertised recently its a bluetooth based thing - I think branded as iOM it is wired into your audio and connects to your ipod via bluetooth - apparently doesn't suffer from the same 'noise' that plagues the FM transmitter type
Old 02-18-2009, 10:35 PM
jer
Members

Originally Posted by caldersj' post='708034' date='Oct 30 2008, 06:14 PM
Thanks to Kekkos for this clarification.

Since my last post, I have managed to check out the text display thing. I burned an MP3 CD (itself a less than straightforward task if you downloaded the tracks from iTunes in standard protected format, but there are numerous tutorials on UTube to show how to do this) and put it in my centre CD/DVD drive and - drum roll - it showed the track names, which I guess confirms text capability as indicated above. However, my 6CD unit refused to recognise this disk. I assume this is a limitation of the 6CD unit itself, but as always there is that little trace of doubt.

Bruce Miranda, you are such a prolific contributor (12 pages of posts when I searched under your name) that I may well have missed this, in which case I apologise, but would you be kind enough to confirm which of the 4 unit types mentioned above you have? Mine is type 3. Your posts also referred to the BTA-1000, but as I have Bluetooth integration working just fine already, I guess I don't need that piece, and nor do I need to retrofit business satnav (which I hate anyway, and would not recommend to my worst enemy, but that is a whole other story.)

Finally which specific Dension model did you buy, did you have to order any specific adaptors with it, did you get the correct instructions, and did you have to update any firmware? By all means just point me at the correct posting if you have already covered all this.

Given that the Dension is merely emulating a CD changer, I'm struggling to see how they justify the (UK) price of ?280 or so for the 500 model, but I can just about live with this if it will do the job and the installation is painless.

Thanks again.

It can only be for E60s the gateway 500. The bluetooth is an option check the dension site.

On the dension I'm curious what the Auxillary video input could be used for and feeback on the Bluetooth adapter. Also are there any professional recommended fitters out there with E60 experience???
Old 06-11-2009, 07:04 AM
Members

I have a 520d 11/2005.

I have just had the Dension 500 GW installed yesterday. I assume now that by reading the post by Kekkos that I have the M-ASK Professional Radio (mp3 + text capable) and not the M-ASK Business Radio (no mp3 --> no text).

I was unable to play an MP3 Data CD in my single slot drive, nor did any Audio CD give me CD Text. I had to get the coding done, CD Changer option and MP3 IPOD Retrofit option was enabled, If I remember correctly I think my IDrive software is around v17. Only the options were enabled and a full software upgrade of the iDrive was not needed, this took less than 10 minutes to do.

Once I connect my 4th Gen click wheel IPOD, I am able to see the whole capacity of my iPod and all play lists, genres, browse by artist... basically anything I can do on my ipod.

I got somebody to install my Dension 500 GW for me. It took about 90 minutes to install. I already had CDC preparation in my car so the installer tried to connect the Dension directly to the fibre optic connector in the glove box, however this did not work. Then the trim where the air vents had to be removed and also the a/c controls trim along with the single slot cd changer had to be removed. Then the Dension was wired directly to the back of the single slot CD unit.

I also had the BTA 1500 bluetooth adaptor installed. I have a blackberry 8900. Once paired I am able to dial numbers from the idrive unit and select some phone numbers from my contact list using the idrive (it seems some are missing, not sure if this is an issue with compatibility with my blackberry will try my Nokia 6300 as well).

However the microphone which comes with this unit is not that great. I am wondering if someone has used another microphone with this unit? I think it has a standard 3.5mm jack.

I will post some pictures up soon so you can see how things look.
Old 08-23-2011, 08:31 PM
Members

My Ride: 04 545i 6spd m/t Sport, Cold Weather, Logic 7

Originally Posted by kekkos

How can I tell which version m-ask I have? I don't see any markings or any reference to version in idrive. Does #2 come with logic 7?
Old 09-06-2011, 08:52 AM
Members

Hi guys with the dension installation which one im i following Installation
Type 1:
Vehicles supporting multiple CD changers
and equipped with a CD changer

OR

Installation Type 2a:
Vehicles with an existing CD changer
These vehicles allow selection of Gateway audio sources and
the original CD changer by switching the mode between CD