E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

E60 and Dension 500 - help needed please

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 06:58 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Apologies in advance for opening up a new topic on an old subject, but despite much trawling I haven't found a definitive answer to my question(s).

I have a 2004 545i with business satnav and 6-cd player in the glovebox. I want to hook up my iPod, and to be able to view and select tracks with the I-Drive. I don't care if I lose the 6-cd capability. I also don't want to break anything such as the bluetooth phone capability, but I am NOT using an iPhone, just a standard iPod with separate Nokia phone.

I'm looking at buying a Dension 500 MOST adaptor system.

http://www.ipodcarkitdirect.co.uk/Dension_...OST_fiber_optic

Has anyone successfully been through the same process with the same model? If so:

How hard is the installation? Is it a matter of plugging in some cables, or is there more to it? I'm no mechanic, but I can follow basic instructions.
How well does it work? Is it easy to select tracks, and are there any limitations, e.g. on numbers of tracks that can be displayed?
How easy is is to remove and then re-connect the iPod? I don't want to leave it permanently in the car, but nor do I want a big performance to re-connect each time.

I think things are different if you have the professional satnav with the CCC unit, as opposed to my business satnav with MASK unit, so I'm really looking for someone who has the exact same setup that I'm attempting.

With thanks in advance.
Old 10-29-2008, 07:03 AM
Col
Members

My Ride: Dec 2006 530d M Sport. Titanium silver. 172 wheels, black leather, black wood & various other small bits.

I've been looking into this as well recently. I have the business cd with changer. I emailed Dension and this is the reply. I don't know how the satnav affects things.

In this model (E60) there are two different head units are available:

1. i-Drive, Business (M-ASK, 6.5", single slot) -> NON text capable ! -> what you currently have
2. i-Drive, Professional (CCC, 8.8", dual slot) -> MP3 Capable Head Unit (CDC)

Both of them are compatible with GW500 MOST Dual FOT device (GW51MO2)

You have Business head Unit that means unfortunately there will not be any text information (id3) on your main screen so you will see only Track 1,2 etc.
Old 10-29-2008, 10:25 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Col' post='706452' date='Oct 29 2008, 03:03 PM
I've been looking into this as well recently. I have the business cd with changer. I emailed Dension and this is the reply. I don't know how the satnav affects things.

In this model (E60) there are two different head units are available:

1. i-Drive, Business (M-ASK, 6.5", single slot) -> NON text capable ! -> what you currently have
2. i-Drive, Professional (CCC, 8.8", dual slot) -> MP3 Capable Head Unit (CDC)

Both of them are compatible with GW500 MOST Dual FOT device (GW51MO2)

You have Business head Unit that means unfortunately there will not be any text information (id3) on your main screen so you will see only Track 1,2 etc.
Many thanks. In that case ?280 seems rather a lot to pay if you won't get full track listings. Presumably this is a limitation of the M-ASK unit, so no-one else will have a better solution. Are you aware of any cheaper options (excluding the FM radio signal option, which I would not be happy with)?

(And boy do I regret not doing more research before I bought the car. I assumed that I-Drive was I-Drive and that was that.)
Old 10-29-2008, 01:52 PM
Col
Members

My Ride: Dec 2006 530d M Sport. Titanium silver. 172 wheels, black leather, black wood & various other small bits.

I've not moved in time with technology and don't have an ipod. I was going to buy the Dension for the USB port to connect a drive with my music on it. My car has an AUX connection fitted to the rear of the centre console which I think I will use when I get an ipod. Your ipod can connect through this and you will be able to adjust the volume from the wheel or head unit but that's all. I'm not sure on retrofitting this and any coding issues that might go with it.

Cheers
Col.
Old 10-29-2008, 02:58 PM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

Can your Business Navigation drive play mp3 CDs in the in-dash drive? If you can then you should be able to get the text displayed on your car. If not then the BMW iPOD MOST kit is the only other option.
Old 10-29-2008, 05:15 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i titanium grey 6 speed manual with light grey interior. Nav, L7, cold weather, sport, sat. Modifications: suede headliner, pianno black interior trim, Ipod dock, Mtech front bumper, Angel Eyes, and flat black kidney grills.
Lightbulb

The Gateway 500 only gives text on text capable cars. I believe it was not until 03/05 that you could even get cd text. Also some cars still don't have text and had to go to the dealer to have them activate that feature. Bottom line is that if you can't get text from a CD in your changer the gateway 500 will only work in non text mode. I also believe the BMW iPod adaptor does not work on cars older than 03/05. So I suggest you do what I did and get the gateway 500 along with the ashtray iPod dock so you can see your songs on the iPod and use the iPod to search for music and use the steering control for track up and volume.

By the way I am using software version 2.03 which you can download from the dension website. ( this version does not allow you to use the radio to search but does allow hybrid mode )
Attached Thumbnails E60 and Dension 500 - help needed please-img_1411.jpg  
Old 10-30-2008, 12:01 AM
MrG
Members

My Ride: Sept '03 530d SE: Titanium Silver, Black Dakota Leather, Steptronic Auto, Bluetooth Telephone Prep, 6-Disc Changer, Business Navigation, Sports Suspension, Active Steering, Star Spoke 123 8Jx18" + Run Flat Tyres.

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda' post='706959' date='Oct 29 2008, 11:58 PM
Can your Business Navigation drive play mp3 CDs in the in-dash drive? If you can then you should be able to get the text displayed on your car. If not then the BMW iPOD MOST kit is the only other option.
My E60 is a UK Sept '03 model, but it had a software upgrade about a year ago when it went in to have some other work done (issues with Active Steering failure that needed a control unit replacing). Since the software upgrade was done, I can now play MP3s on CD or DVD in the single CD slot in the dash (i.e. the one where the map DVD goes for my Business sat nav). When playing these MP3s, I do get text displayed (i.e. track name and artist).

I don't yet have a Dension 500, but definitely want one, having read about them on this forum. I currently have the standard-fit 6-CD changers (which won't play MP3s), and I think I can leave this in place when fitting the Dension 500 too.

Given the information above about my car, do you think this means I can simply plug and play ... i.e. no further software update required?

Also, as asked originally, is it simple for me to be able to fit the Dension 500 DIY, or should I plan to pay for an installer too? ... I'm comfortable with simple electrical stuff (have fitted ICE to much older, less technologically advanced, cars in the past ... and I work with computers and happy to even build my own).
Old 10-30-2008, 12:22 AM
MrG
Members

My Ride: Sept '03 530d SE: Titanium Silver, Black Dakota Leather, Steptronic Auto, Bluetooth Telephone Prep, 6-Disc Changer, Business Navigation, Sports Suspension, Active Steering, Star Spoke 123 8Jx18" + Run Flat Tyres.

Actually just found an excellent article in this forum that describes the DIY install, so I (and the original poster) can make our own decisions based on this:
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=54922
Old 10-30-2008, 02:02 AM
Members

Originally Posted by MrG' post='707405' date='Oct 30 2008, 08:22 AM
Actually just found an excellent article in this forum that describes the DIY install, so I (and the original poster) can make our own decisions based on this:
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=54922
Thanks for this, and also to 'The Dreamshop' for the previous post. Much as I appreciate the helpful suggestions, and in particular the detailed instructions from Muttley referred to above, I've decided this is too complex and risky an enterprise. The fact that Dension apparently can't be relied on to ship correct instructions and/or firmware is a big red warning light for me. Also, it looks to me like Muttley has the CCC controller, not the M-ASK, judging by the widescreen display, so I fear my setup would be different anyway.

Dreamshop's solution for no track listings (placing the iPod next to the gear stick) is creative, but I would have some safety issues with this!

I'll keep an eye on the forum in case a braver soul than I manages to install a Dension 500 into a M-ASK machine, and to get full track listings, but meanwhile I'll carry on burning CDs.

And no marks to BMW for their very confusing product strategy. The whole M-ASK / CCC / Business / Professional / 2-d / 3-d maps / Ipod / text / no text saga, and the complete absence of definitive information from the manufacturer and their dealers, is frankly shameful. Now I learn that the CCC will itself be replaced by a new CIC controller in the forthcoming 09 models. More fun.

Thanks again for all the help.
Old 10-30-2008, 03:02 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

Installing the Dension is easy and you can follow my DIY link as posted above. If your in-dash plays mp3 and you have the text displayed as well then I'm about 80% sure that your Dension should be able to display text as well. The Dension is doing nothing but emulate a CD Changer and an mp3 CD. The CD Changer will be retained with the Dension but you can't have both accessible together because when you have the switch turned to the Dension the unit inactivates the CDC and becomes a CDC itself.

Quick Reply: E60 and Dension 500 - help needed please