E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

E60 CIC Retrofit, USB, Combox - 2006 BMW 530i

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2021, 01:45 PM
New Members

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW 530XI, CIC/Combox/TPMS Retrofit (CCC M-ASK Orig)
Model Year: 2006
Engine: N52

Originally Posted by LicianDom
Hello.
I have the same problem coding the combox. Please tell me how do you solve it.
Thank you
I wrote a big write-up about it, then tried to edit it with obvious corrections and additions; and the whole post disappeared. So I'll try this again. Let's start with the straight forward answer:

To code a combox in an E60 you'll have to use an SSD file.

This is because our E60 cars never had a combox from factory, and therefore BMW never shipped a module file for the combox for E60's. Even if another chassis (like E90) has the same or a similar module (i.e. CIC) and said chassis did have a module file for the combox because it was shipped from factory at any point (yes, combox module data exists for E90), the same module in our car won't be identifiable through factory software such as NCS or INPA - our modules won't ever see the combox either, or at least ever be default coded to work with it, and we can never code the combox itself by default (to the VO of) our E60 car. This is due to the fact that what our chassis (E60) car's modules are allowed to know about is all dictated by the module files (the SP-Datens). Version matters to an extent, but if E60 modules never included a combox, then even with a CIC (a module that is paired with a combox in a E90), our E60 SP-Datens will never see it or know how to work with it.

NCS Expert gives us a solution for this, known as a virtual VO by means of a SSD file. First, let's cover typical NCS Expert usage whereby we default a module's coding by our chassis' VO:
  1. File->Load Profile->Factory Coding (Expert)
  2. F1 (Start).
  3. F3 (Chassis).
  4. Select E60 (in pop-up).
  5. Select CAS (in pop-up). You can select LMA but the CAS selection gets us all the settings for all modules in a single TRC file by default with this method.
  6. Wait a few seconds for CHASSIS/FG/FA/NRCL-NO to load.
  7. F6 (Back)
  8. F4 (Process ECU)
  9. Select module (in pop-up)
  10. F2 (Change Job) though SG_CODIEREN is selected by default.
  11. Select SG_CODIEREN (in pop-up)
  12. F3 (Execute Job)
  13. Wait for Coding Active to change to Coding Ended
...and that is how you can default code any module that has ever been known to be installed by the factory in your chassis by your VO. This will never work on modules that have never been installed by the factory. To do so, you need a virtual VO.

A virtual VO is provided by a SSD file. Let's take a look at the one I used for my retrofit (a bn-2000 in my 2006 530xi):

Code:
M E90_CODIERSCHL ALL
A 001 WBAPP31030A7502352 E90_#0911&LUSW%0475*PR96$1CA$1CB$205$216$226$235$249$255$302$319$320$386$402$413$423$428$431$441$459$473$481$488$493$494$496$4AD$502$508$521$522$534$540$548$563$609$610$614$615$644$655$677$694$6AA$6AB$6FL$6NF$6VA$6VC$761$775$785$7SP$840$853$863$880$8SC$9BE-A090-KMP3-TELD|0000000|0000000|0000000
Now, I borrowed an SSD from Vortex over at bmwcoding forums. His SSD blindly enabled all features, and was missing a lot of features that my car has and/or didn't have features that closely resembled mine. It was a very inefficient SSD to use for me to say the least. So what I did was clean it up by removing $612, $616, $6AL, $6NR, and by adding many of the features from my car that were possible for the E90 in question. Where needed, I made sure the options chosen for the E90 at least were the E90's equivalent for the E60's. This takes time to do, and I highly recommend it be done. There are options lists out there, use one. There are VIN decoders out there, use them to see the possible features.

The reason is, because there are a ton of settings that you'll need to review in the codings for the combox and CIC, and as long as you had the SSD tuned as closely to your car as possible, you can get away with simply making the few changes we know have to be made, and hope that the rest match for your car appropriately. It's not truly just as simple as defaulting the combox to the E90 Virtual VO, and then doing the same for the CIC and making necessary changes in a subsequent true VO default of the CIC. At the least, with a tuned SSD file you will likely only discover minor discrepencies.

The other issue I ran into with Vortex's SSD is that the VIN provided is from a European car (so I obviously made feature changes there as well where I could - but the default codings for the combox and CIC were still EURO style - such as anything that could be "left-handed drive" was set to "right-handed drive"). You'll have to change those.

So here's how you use the SSD file (which by the way, you should only have 2 lines in your SSD file...the first the line that starts with "M", and the second the line that starts with "A". The second line is huge, and ends with "0000000"):
  1. File->Load Profile->Factory Coding (Expert)
  2. F1 (Start).
  3. F5 (Open file).
  4. Select SSD FILE (in pop-up).
  5. The file obviously loads immediately and populates CHASSIS/FG/FA/NRCL-NO.
  6. F6 (Back)
  7. F4 (Process ECU)
  8. Select module (in pop-up)
  9. F2 (Change Job) though SG_CODIEREN is selected by default.
  10. Select SG_CODIEREN (in pop-up)
  11. F3 (Execute Job)
  12. Wait for Coding Active to change to Coding Ended
It's really that simple.

Do this first for the combox, then do a READ and back-up the ~5kb TRC file. Then do it again for the CIC, and follow up by reading the CIC and back-up the ~18KB TRC file.

PLEASE NOTE:
Spoiler

You can then, using the true VO default coding method, immediately go ahead and default your CIC again back to an E60 - as this is what it needs to be anyways.

Now you have your work cut out for you:
  1. Open Notepad++
  2. Load all relavent TRC files:
    1. The CIC E60 VO default coding
    2. The CIC E90 SSD default coding
    3. The combox E90 SSD default coding
  3. For items 2.1 and 2.2, perform the following steps to sort the codings alphabetically for an easier time:
    1. Press CTRL + F
    2. Select the Replace tab
    3. Make sure "wrap around" is selected on the left
    4. Make sure in Search Mode, you select Extended (\n\r\t\0\x...)
    5. For Find what enter \r\n\t
    6. For Replace with enter *
    7. Select Replace All
    8. Select Edit->Line Operations->Sort lines lexicographically ascending
    9. For Find what enter *
    10. For Replace with enter \r\n\t
    11. Select Replace All
  4. Now scroll through both files evenly and for instances of combox in the E90 SSD default coding file, ensure the same coding key is updated to reflect the combox value in the E60 VO default coding file.

When you have finished, there are still other settings that you'll need to update in the E60 file with the values from the E90 file in order for it to work right, such as BT_INSTANCE_ID (needs to be 02 instead of 01). The combox coding file will be coded for a european car, but should be ready to go regardless. You could update the codings, but it should just work. I'll reference the commit in my repository that will show a perfect diff that will show you exactly what changes I made, you can find the link at the bottom of this post once its updated. If you can't wait, there are posts all over that list all the codings settings. Once done, save a copy of your updated E60 codings file and change the .TRC part to .MAN.

Now there are stll 2 more important steps to do once you have the settings made properly:
  1. Code the CIC using the MAN file in manipulation mode with NCS Expert.
  2. Update the VIN on the combox (this assumes you are using the patcher method).
The reason for number 1, is because we've already default coded the CIC, now we need to make modifications to the settings that our module data won't provide by default. The reason for number 2, is because the combox just took the VIN of the VO provided in the SSD file (as modules do when they are coded). We want/need our VINs to match (with the VIN that is authorized) for certain features. If you do end up wanting to update the combox settings, you'll need to do that first - then update the VIN after (as even coding the combox settings by use of SSD will revert the combox back to the VIN of the SSD).

To perform step 1, you can follow the NCS_DIY.pdf method provided on the bmwcoding forums as part of the Beginner's Lounge for coders:
  1. File->Load Profile->Manipulation (Expert)
  2. F1 (Start).
  3. F3 (Chassis).
  4. Select E60 (in pop-up).
  5. Select CAS (in pop-up). You can select LMA but the CAS selection gets us all the settings for all modules in a single TRC file by default with this method.
  6. Wait a few seconds for CHASSIS/FG/FA/NRCL-NO to load.
  7. F6 (Back)
  8. F4 (Process ECU)
  9. Select CIC (in pop-up)
  10. F4 (Read ECU)
  11. Close the NETTODAT.TRC file
  12. F5 (Basic Functions)
  13. Select coapiReadSgGetFswPsw
  14. Select OK (in pop-up)
  15. Select OK (in pop-up)
  16. F2 (Change Job)
  17. Select SG_CODIEREN (in pop-up)
  18. F3 (Execute Job)
To perform step 2, you need to use Tool32:
  1. Open Tool32
  2. Press F3
  3. Select CMEDIAR.png
  4. Find c_fg_schreiben and select it
  5. Enter your 18 digit (with checksum letter) VIN in the data input to the right
  6. Press the run-once button (the 1_x) button in the top menu.
  7. Perform the same steps (5 and 6) with the c_fg_auftrag job
  8. Test with c_fg_lesen or aif_lesen (looking for fg_number to match the last 7 of the vin you entered)
The alternative method is to just use aif_schreiben, but I wouldn't use that considering many of the arguments are just empty and I've never written that job with altogether missing arguments (just when there are 0's).

PLEASE NOTE:
Spoiler

I'm working on a detailed 2021 write up for the whole retrofit (CIC and Combox) that includes all the stuff I had to dig for - including this portion. When I'm done I'll link it, and it'll include all the specific changes I made to the codings which will be tuned for a US E60 530XI that came with a CCC-Mask, Telematics, TCU (no mulf), and Smart Phone Prep, that's had a CIC/Combox retrofit with $614, $615, $644, $6VA, $6FL, $6NF, and $7SP, Patched, and all features working. The changes I'll have committed to the repository I'm keeping for my car/retrofits - and with it there will be the commit diffs which show very neatly what to change (you could even cherry pick the commits yourself if you really know what you're doing!). It'll also show you, again by commit diffs, how I updated the SSD and the VO, for both my car and the SSD, as I tracked changes in everything (I'm an engineer - it's second nature to me).

Until then, here's the codings for the combox as an M5 user had them (the settings are updated to be for left-handed drive, and probably include some assist/telematics settings we don't want, but nevertheless):

Code:
TYP_LENKUNG
linkslenker
SPRACHE
englisch
koreanisch
china_trad
russisch
BT_UFN
wert_01
USED_MICROPHONES
wert_01
PHONE_TYPE_JAPAN
nicht_aktiv
RINGTONE
ringtone_1
RSE_HIGH
nicht_aktiv
TDA_CFG_CUST_MOBILE_USE_M
aktiv
TDA_DEACTIVATE_STATUS_M
nicht_aktiv
BT_OBJECT_PUSH
nicht_aktiv
MICROPHONE_SENSITIVITY
l4_mic
PB_DOWNLOAD_PRIORITY
wert_03
INBAND_RINGING
nicht_aktiv
CONFIG_INDEX
config_index_3
DPAS_INDEX
dpas_3
TESTCALL_FLAG_ENABLE
nicht_aktiv
A2DP_AVRCP_EIN_AUS
aktiv
AKD_SUPPORTED_POIS
wert_25
API_EIN_AUS_MED
aktiv
API_IPOD_ONE_WIRE
aktiv
API_IPOD_TWO_WIRE_SERIEL
aktiv
API_TWO_USB_M
aktiv
AUDIO_NOTES_EIN_AUS
aktiv
AUDIO_SOURCE_FILE
file_1
AUDIO_VERSTAERKER
wert_01
AVRCP_BROWSING_EIN_AUS
aktiv
CALENDAR_EIN_AUS
aktiv
CAR_TYPE_IPOD_LOGO
bmw
CONTACT_NUMBERS_BCALL_M
nicht_aktiv
CONTACT_NUMBERS_DEALER_M
nicht_aktiv
CONTACT_NUMBERS_HOTLINE_M
nicht_aktiv
CONTACTS_EIN_AUS
aktiv
DATACOMM_CSIM
aktiv
DATACOMM_INTERFACE
mamac
DRM_CHIP_ENABLED
aktiv
DUN_PROFILE_M
aktiv
EMAIL_EIN_AUS
aktiv
EXTERNAL_CALL_LISTS_M
aktiv
FBLOCK_PHONEBOOK_EIN_AUS
nicht_aktiv
GPS_FROM_MOST
aktiv
GPS_POSITION_TIMEOUT
wert_01
HEAD_BOOT_UP_TIMEOUT
wert_15
HEAD_UNIT_MODEL
cic_high_rueko
HEATING_CONTROL_ENABLED
aktiv
HORN_CONTROL_ENABLED
nicht_aktiv
INCOMING_CALL_LIST_M
aktiv
IP_ROUTER
aktiv
LIGHT_CONTROL_ENABLED
nicht_aktiv
M_SECURITY_MODE_AEH
des_cbc
M_SECURITY_MODE_AEP
aes_128
M_SECURITY_MODE_ASH
des_cbc_mac
M_SECURITY_MODE_ASP
hmac_sha_256
MAIN_BOARD_ALONE
ecallboard_present
MED_SVS_EIN_AUS
aktiv
MMS_EIN_AUS
nicht_aktiv
MULTI_PARTY_CALL_M
aktiv
MY_INFO_SUPPORTED_POIS
wert_25
ONLINE_ROUTER
aktiv
PHONEBOOK_NAME_DISP_ORD_M
first_last
PICTURE_VIEWER_EIN_AUS
aktiv
PIM_BILDER_EIN_AUS
aktiv
POWER_FOLLOW_UP_THRESHOLD
wert_01
RDL_CONTROL
aktiv
RDU_CONTROL_ENABLED
aktiv
REMINDER_EIN_AUS
aktiv
REMINDER_TRIGGERS_EIN_AUS
aktiv
RESPONSE_ON_HOLD_M
nicht_aktiv
SECURE_SIMPLE_PAIRING_M
nicht_aktiv
SIM_ENABLED_MB
enabled_all
SMS_EIN_AUS_MED
aktiv
SORTING_VARIANT_M
standard
STARTUP_ACTIVE
nicht_aktiv
SVR_ENABLED
aktiv
SWUP_ASK_CONF_ENABLED
aktiv
SWUP_ENABLE_ENG_UPDATES
nicht_aktiv
SWUP_ENABLE_SW_UPDATES
aktiv
SWUP_SOURCE_ONLINE
aktiv
SWUP_SOURCE_USBMSCDD
aktiv
TASK_EIN_AUS
aktiv
TDA_CFG_IND_PDM_GR_NBR_M
file0
TDA_CFG_TSM_TRIGGER
all
TDA_FBLOCK
fblock_df
TDA_TSM_ACTIVE
aktiv
TELEMATIC_COUNTRY_VARIANT
row
TELEMATIK_VIN
most_vin
TELEX_M
aktiv
TEXT_NOTES_EIN_AUS
aktiv
UNICODE_EIN_AUS
nicht_aktiv
USB_HUB_M
nicht_aktiv
VCARD_OVER_MOST_M
aktiv
VENTILATION_CNTRL_ENABLED
aktiv
VIDEO_PLAYER_EIN_AUS
aktiv
BT_EIN_AUS_MED
aktiv
OFFSET_BTAS
wert_00
OFFSET_IPOD_SERIAL
wert_00
COVER_ART_TWO_WIRE
nicht_aktiv
ETHERNET
nicht_aktiv
PAN_PROFILE_M
aktiv
FOLLOW_UP_TIME_EXTENSION
wert_02
SWUP_CYCLIC_MONITORING
wert_20
SWUP_CYCLIC_RESET_TIMEOUT
wert_255
SWUP_CYCLIC_RST_THRESHOLD
wert_05
HANDSFREE_SECONDARY
aktiv
BMW_INFO_SUPPORTED_POIS
wert_25
SWUP_INSTALL_TIME_SWIP
nicht_aktiv
USB1_IPOD_AUDIO
digital
USB2_IPOD_AUDIO
analog
And here's the CHANGES ONLY needed for the CIC after you've re-defaulted it back to E60:

Code:
CDMM_USB_COVER_ART
aktiv
SECONDARY_HFP
aktiv
CONNECTED_DRIVE
aktiv
LEGAL_DISCLAIMER_TIME
kein_ld
MACRO_CAM_LEGALDISCLAIMER
kein_ld
MACRO_NIVICAM_LDISCLAIMER
kein_ld
AUDIO_OFFSET
aktiv
PHONE_TYPE_C0B
combox
PHONE_SMS
aktiv
CDMM_BLUETOOTH_AUDIO
aktiv
CDMM_USB_AUDIO_DOUBLE_0B
aktiv
MESSAGE_FILTER
aktiv
API_TYPE
combox
PICTURE_ALBUM_ARTS_0B
aktiv
MUTE_BUTTON
aktiv
FUNCTIONALITY_VIEWER
aktiv
DATACOM_INTERFACE
combox
CONNECTIVITY_SYSTEM_VER
ecu_sw_vid
HDD_ACCESS_VIA_ETHERNET
aktiv
BT_PHONE_INSTANCE_ID
wert_02
DATACOM_TRANSFER
mamac
MACRO_PIM
aktiv
PIM_CROSS_USE
aktiv
CDMM_USB_POD_BOOK
aktiv
CDMM_USB_HMI
new
CDMM_USB_VIDEO
both
TELEMATIC_INSTANCE_ID
instanceid_0x01
ASSIST
nicht_aktiv
ASSIST_SVR_SHOW
nicht_aktiv
ASSIST_INITIALIZATION
nicht_aktiv
ONLINE_BROWSER_C0D
beide_aktiv
STARTUP
aktiv
TELEX
aktiv
TDA_CFG_CUST_MOBILE_CIC
nicht_aktiv
ONLINE_BROWSER_LIVE
aktiv
NAD_PHONE_INSTANCE_ID
wert_01
ECALL_INSTANCE_ID_0A
wert_01
SOFTWARE_UPDATE_MANAGER
aktiv
SW_UPDATE_ASSISTANT
aktiv
Hope that helps!
The following 3 users liked this post by kirvedx:
Arbuz (05-09-2023), pavjayt (06-22-2022), TeflonDon (10-14-2021)
Old 09-30-2021, 07:14 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: LCI E60 Titanium Silver N54 Stage 1+
Model Year: 2010
Engine: N54

Originally Posted by TeflonDon
I updated the CIC.... I didn't check what version it was on.. But I updated using latest SP-Daten Files.Using WinKFP - I used my BMW ICOM A2 (Clone).. I also have the CIC v41 Files Available as well....

I followed the following... It worked for me..

OPTION 1 WORKED FOR ME

Update Order
63,62,A0

Option 1
0 - Move Car Key to position 2
1 - Connect ICOM B (MOST) to any available MOST (fiber optic) Connector. Connect the USB cable between it and the ICOM module.
2 - Connect OBD connector to ICOM Module.
3 - Connect ICOM to Laptop via Ethernet cable.
4 - Start up Itool Radar and Reserve the ICOM slot. (You'll need to search for ITool Radar).
5 - I usually use the EasyConnect after ITOOL to select the MOST bus ASYNC setting and LOCK Icom.
6 - Start up WINKFP and select comfort mode
7 - Select Update ZUSB
8 - From the list, select CI63F1 first and click OK.
9 - Enter VIN
10 - Click DONE.
11 - In Next window, Click PROG-ZUSB.
12 - Blue bar will start - This step will take about 35-40 minutes. CIC screen will turn black and cic fan will be blowing at full speed.
13 -Select Update ZUSB again
14 - From the list, select CI62F1 and click OK.
15- Enter VIN
16 - Click DONE.
17 - In Next window, Click PROG-ZUSB.
18 - This step takes about 7-10 minutes.
19 - Lastly Select Update ZUSB again
20 - From the list, select CIA0F1 and click OK.
21 - Enter VIN
22 - Click DONE.
23 - In Next window, Click PROG-ZUSB.
24 - Screen might come up with BMW symbol and bootloader mode.
25 - This step takes about 45 minutes
And code default cic

Option 2

There are three modules to flash. 63 is the first one. Go to c:\ec-apps\nfs\data and rename "develop_63" to "develop".

63:

-Configure ICOM for MOST_ASYNC_ab625
-Open WinKFP
-Select expert mode
-PABD = 08010408CI63F1.ipo (be carefully, do not choose CM63)
-P-SGBD = 33CI63F1_10.prg (be carefully, do not choose CM63)
-ECU-adress = 63
-Data = A9257174
-Program = 9257170
-NAAB = H020270_0202J5

WinKFP will complain about incorrect files and other things when you select the files, just ignore the complaints.

Now select done and you will get back to main menu. Now everything is ready for flash (also you have power supply connected, ignition on and cd/dvd removed from CIC). At this point you can turn on windows task manager (taskmgr.exe) because WinKFP progress meter will not work when flashing cic. Select "Program NAAB" and bootloader flash starts. CIC goes to bootloader mode and fan spins at full speed, this is normal. Screen shows bootloader picture or turns black, depending on old firmware version. Now you must be patient because the meter is not working. It will go to 100% and do all kind of things, just wait until "bootsector update finished" appears. Next select program program. Same precautions for this, it takes around 30 minutes to flash 63 program. After program programming has finished, select program data.

62:

Now you have flashed 63. Next you must flash 62. Go to c:\ec-apps\nfs\data and delete develop folder. Then rename develop_62_exx to develop. Go back to list on 63: on this guide. Configure WinKFP just like on that list, except change three bolded 63's to 62. Also select new data, program and NAAB files. If you did the folder swap (delete develop folder, rename develop_62_exx -> develop) correctly, there are just the correct files available. Select done and perform flash in the same order: NAAB, program, data. 62 is quite fast to flash, maybe five minutes for each part.

A0:

Now you know how to do this. Only difference is that A0 has only program, not data or NAAB. Delete old develop folder, rename develop_a0 to develop. Go again back to list on 63 on this guide, change three bolded 63's to A0. On this module you can't select data or NAAB, just select program and then select done. Choose program program. It takes around 30 minutes to program A0
Bro I'm going to contact you what's the best way for me to reach you so that I can have you remotely access my car and code and program a few things I want to get the wireless internet on my car and also do the aux can we add a Bluetooth feature for music because I can only get Bluetooth for a calls also would like to have you code my index 12 injectors my Instagram is HellboyFame
Old 11-11-2021, 04:27 AM
New Members

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts
My Ride: E61 530xi 6MT
Model Year: 2007

So I just swapped a Combox to my CIC retrofitted car. It was fairly simple and I managed to do it without an SSD. You gotta get the CIC in and working first then go to the combox.

MOST connector plugs right in and online there are tons of references for repinning the combox connector from TCU or mulf or TCU + MULF. Some of the coax cables may also need adapters or trimming the tabs.

Coding is easy; I used an 03/10 date and added -TELD to the VO to delete the SOS error. Beyond that I saved the CIC FSW/PSW file (from NCSexpert) and loaded it in NCS dummy. You can see 3 specific areas where the combox can be selected so just change to those. This forum post #7 here (https://cartechnology.co.uk/showthread.php?tid=43440) also has a list of the other options that you can change(including the 3 combox ones) to use to get connected drive, bluetooth streaming and all the other stuff going. I also have an E90 with a combox, so I'm able to switch it over and code it in the order car if I need anything changed. Tool32 change the VIN to match the new car (I also changed the Bluetooth name) and all the FSC codes will now work.

Old 11-11-2021, 05:17 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by neilv
So I just swapped a Combox to my CIC retrofitted car. It was fairly simple and I managed to do it without an SSD. You gotta get the CIC in and working first then go to the combox.

MOST connector plugs right in and online there are tons of references for repinning the combox connector from TCU or mulf or TCU + MULF. Some of the coax cables may also need adapters or trimming the tabs.

Coding is easy; I used an 03/10 date and added -TELD to the VO to delete the SOS error. Beyond that I saved the CIC FSW/PSW file (from NCSexpert) and loaded it in NCS dummy. You can see 3 specific areas where the combox can be selected so just change to those. This forum post #7 here (https://cartechnology.co.uk/showthread.php?tid=43440) also has a list of the other options that you can change(including the 3 combox ones) to use to get connected drive, bluetooth streaming and all the other stuff going. I also have an E90 with a combox, so I'm able to switch it over and code it in the order car if I need anything changed. Tool32 change the VIN to match the new car (I also changed the Bluetooth name) and all the FSC codes will now work.

If you have an e90 car just make an SSD file out of that VIN and VO and you dont have to swap anything. You can use the SSD file with NCSExpert to code the combox when you need to change something. Using an SSD file is actually very convenient and easy to do - explaining it tends to make it seem overly complex and complicated.

Also, if you had HiFi, or even Logic7, in the retrofitted car - you probably will notice that there is no bass (the bass tuner works, but it seems to cap out and the audio is tinny/treble-full and not so great). This is because the CIC changes how the wires were utilized and it interfaces with an upgraded HiFi amp so as to power all the speakers through the amp, not just the subs. There's a temporary work around where you pull one block out of the main CIC connector, pull its pins, and splice them into another block.

Work around for woofer with CIC retrofit

However, the real fix is to either upgrade to the newer HiFi amplifier and reconfigure the speaker wiring or buy a digitial audio processor and custom wire the speakers.

OEM HiFi amplifier retrofit

HiFi to MS-8 upgrade
Old 11-11-2021, 05:22 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by kirvedx
If you have an e90 car just make an SSD file out of that VIN and VO and you dont have to swap anything. You can use the SSD file with NCSExpert to code the combox when you need to change something. Using an SSD file is actually very convenient and easy to do - explaining it tends to make it seem overly complex and complicated.

Also, if you had HiFi, or even Logic7, in the retrofitted car - you probably will notice that there is no bass (the bass tuner works, but it seems to cap out and the audio is tinny/treble-full and not so great). This is because the CIC changes how the wires were utilized and it interfaces with an upgraded HiFi amp so as to power all the speakers through the amp, not just the subs. There's a temporary work around where you pull one block out of the main CIC connector, pull its pins, and splice them into another block.
For me I only needed to code the Combox to change the setting for Bluetooth calling. Otherwise everything worked right away (though I think I still need to change the Aux setting). Its 30 seconds in and out of the car to remove but I am lucky to have that option.

Stereo worked for me just fine (I'm logic7) and I didn't need to touch any sound options. Even the defrost/heater controls stayed the same since I didn't change any of the settings to E90 versions.
Old 11-11-2021, 05:46 AM
New Members

For me I only needed to code the Combox to change the setting for Bluetooth calling. Otherwise everything worked right away (though I think I still need to change the Aux setting). Its 30 seconds in and out of the car to remove but I am lucky to have that option.

Stereo worked for me just fine (I'm logic7) and I didn't need to touch any sound options. Even the defrost/heater controls stayed the same since I didn't change any of the settings to E90 versions.
Well that was certainly a convenient swap for you then, options must have been just right between the car you took it from and the car you put it in. You'd typically use the SSD file on the CIC and Combox only to get the right settings between the two devices, and as well when crafting the SSD file to get all the other settings for your car that can apply tweaked right by default. Not many would be able to go about doing it the way you have and have everything working right - even if it did "play music" and "just work".

Though that's not to say that if someone knows what options they have in their car that they couldn't simply code those options to the right value and avoid default coding whatsoever - though without a car that can see the Combox they'd need an SSD file.

I've seen a lot of posts simply providing the MAN file in full, but paying attention to when they're made and what options they are enabling I tend to prefer to just default code (than spend hours upon hours from their versions). I use android, not apple - and wouldn't want options enabled that I don't use. I'm OCD Also, connected drive and other services - if not shut down and deprecated, like teleservices - don't actually work properly on cars that didn't support it (and there's a fee for the subscription even when it does, like when you're retrofitting a car that could have come with it). Though, there's plenty of others that have posted more modern versions that do forgoe those deprecated things and quickly explain what you can change according to your setup.

All those long guides are just teaching people how to do the things that one would need to do not knowing much about the options they're touching and let alone how they relate to the infotainment center or their car - beyond how to access the combox from a car that can't see one using NCSExpert. From there they want to know how to enable features that their VO wouldn't indicate they have - but if you already know, that's time saved for you.

As long as you have fun and its working for you though, job well done. The Combox itself is a pretty easy job, its settings list is far shorter than the CIC - if you don't mind swapping between cars and changing over your setup to that car to code - and then back again. I didn't have that option, for instance, and it was super convenient putting my laptop in my trunk, a charger on the car, and sitting inside my home simply swapping between my true VO and an SSD file as I tweaked my system through team viewer.
Old 11-11-2021, 05:51 AM
New Members

I will say though, that from your picture it does seem you have a far easier time accessing the combox than I do Looks so audio oriented in that compartment of yours
Old 11-11-2021, 05:58 AM
New Members

For me I coded the CIC to my car and all my options first; made sure that worked. Then after that went in and changed the settings needed for the combox (that site I posted had a list of all the different parts needed) and voila it all worked. Those were the only different settings when he compared a CIC to a CIC + combox in an E90. If you run it in NCS dummy it gives you an english read out of what the settings mean so its real easy to tell if its needed or not.

My way may not work for some but I found it simpler so I just thought I'd share (Im not a good electronics person either)
Old 11-11-2021, 06:20 AM
New Members

For me I coded the CIC to my car and all my options first; made sure that worked. Then after that went in and changed the settings needed for the combox (that site I posted had a list of all the different parts needed) and voila it all worked. Those were the only different settings when he compared a CIC to a CIC + combox in an E90. If you run it in NCS dummy it gives you an english read out of what the settings mean so its real easy to tell if its needed or not.

My way may not work for some but I found it simpler so I just thought I'd share (Im not a good electronics person either)
I see you did 03/10 - like me. Doesn't it just irk you that with just a one month newer build date that $6VC would have stuck in your VO?

Anyway - yea, no doubt I get that. I guess I wanted to iterate over that with you just in case, because I did something similar in just making the direct changes someone else offered to make it work (though I did default the CIC so I didn't have to spend hours learning my VO and features, discovering just how much the CIC settings pertain to). I ended up putting in the work anyways to tweak everything and add the features I wanted after doing the SWPatcher, etc. However, seems you already went through the CIC settings and have everythign working properly, and you already commented that your Logic7 setup didn't have the bass-drop issues that HiFi systems do.

That's awesome it worked for you in such a straight forward way, and that you had the car to swap with. It's definitely understandable that you went the route you did.

Old 11-13-2021, 07:44 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 550i
Model Year: 2008

I am happy to find that a thread with CIC retrofitting in the title isn't dead. I am waiting for a few parts to come in to start this full install including the updated CIC controller. First, i sourced all the parts from ebay and ppl parting out vehciles on FB marketplace so nothing is coded to my VIN. I have also purchased the CAN emulator which should be here soon. As for the CAN emulator i read that i may not need it but only if i can get my CIC HU updated. Is there anyone that is willing to help with coding and i am willing to compensate. Please reply here or send a PM. Thanks in advance.

Quick Reply: E60 CIC Retrofit, USB, Combox - 2006 BMW 530i