E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

E60 AUX Questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 12:43 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You are getting alternator whine? I was thinking about building my own cable also...

What pins did you buy at radio shack?
Old 03-06-2012, 09:12 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: coilvers retrofits
Model Year: 2001 and 2011

i think the quality on the AUX jack is pretty good. i don't hear any interference noise and am pretty happy with the quality. i got the cable from BMW and took out the resister and pretty bummed when i saw i could have made my own but oh well.

i actually use this cable since i use ipod or my iphone to play music and charge same time (and send video source to my idrive screen).

and where the BMW aux cable is i have this in case i have a friend who wants to connect say their HTC phone thru headphone jack. i have two connected 1 for the Xcarlink and one AUX cable that i have tucked away in glove box.

with my xcarlink, i can see my playlist like this:

(my friend took these photos with his phone since mine was plugged in using Pandora, looks better in person than these photos, but for a 6.5 screem the quality is not that bad, hopefully i can add the 8.5 screen soon)

i plan to run the AUX cable to the rear of the center console to plug it in from there instead of having the plug in the glove box. sound quality didn't change using this setup
Old 03-07-2012, 04:43 PM
Senior Members

im planning on doing a similar project I'm just waiting to parts to arrive in the mail my project will involve installing and retrofitting aux to my car and coding it myself, install backupcam and modmynav interface and installing specdoc ashtray doc for my ipod to play music and videos from. I know this install is going to be ruff considering i have no background in this field and i'm nervous taking apart all that trim and putting it all back to together properly. the install direction for retrofitting the aux makes it go to the glove box and that is so pointless Im wondering if while i have all my trim up i can tap into the aux line and run a few more ports to under the armrest
Old 03-07-2012, 06:58 PM
Members

My Ride: 04 530i Shadow line mod Rpi scoop BMC air filtter Ksport coilover Mtech V2 Angel eyes HID low beams HID Fogs

Originally Posted by spediegunz
im planning on doing a similar project I'm just waiting to parts to arrive in the mail my project will involve installing and retrofitting aux to my car and coding it myself, install backupcam and modmynav interface and installing specdoc ashtray doc for my ipod to play music and videos from. I know this install is going to be ruff considering i have no background in this field and i'm nervous taking apart all that trim and putting it all back to together properly. the install direction for retrofitting the aux makes it go to the glove box and that is so pointless Im wondering if while i have all my trim up i can tap into the aux line and run a few more ports to under the armrest

I have an 04 530i and I'm at my end with burning cd's man. My 04 does not have a cd changer or navigation. Really been looking in to how the heck I'm gonna get my iPod wired up.
Just yesterday went to a speed shop on queens blvd to see what can be done. Guys over there said they can install an aux connection for 350.00
I then asked about the parrot mk series - said 450 installed. All that is way expensive IMO -- would be great if you can post walk through on ur install SpedieGunz..
GL 'B...

Great write up Peeps...
Old 03-07-2012, 08:41 PM
Members
Senior Members

honestly you guys, taking apart the dash on the e60 is the easiest of any car i have ever EVER done in my life. i seriously took my dash apart, installed my xcarlink kit and all the wires in like 30 minutes, i had my 4 year old niece playing in the back seat while i did it.

i come from the world of minitruckin' where its all about doing your own work and feeling proud. i noticed since i've joined BMW forums, every ones too scared to touch their cars. wtf, i had my dash apart installing the AUX cable a week after i got my e60. do your research, ask questions and just do it. measure 4 times, cut once was always my motto.

its not about saving money to me, i look at it like, im a man, i should be able to do all my own stuff, not pay someone to do it. (unless its like rebuilding a tranny or something along those lines). even if i owned a Bugatti i would still attempt to take it apart.
Old 03-08-2012, 08:06 AM
Members
Senior Members

with is a xcarlink and how do you use that apple cable for the video source the aux is not with a usb?

Originally Posted by roskinc
i think the quality on the AUX jack is pretty good. i don't hear any interference noise and am pretty happy with the quality. i got the cable from BMW and took out the resister and pretty bummed when i saw i could have made my own but oh well.

i actually use this cable since i use ipod or my iphone to play music and charge same time (and send video source to my idrive screen).

and where the BMW aux cable is i have this in case i have a friend who wants to connect say their HTC phone thru headphone jack. i have two connected 1 for the Xcarlink and one AUX cable that i have tucked away in glove box.

(my friend took these photos with his phone since mine was plugged in using Pandora, looks better in person than these photos, but for a 6.5 screem the quality is not that bad, hopefully i can add the 8.5 screen soon)

i plan to run the AUX cable to the rear of the center console to plug it in from there instead of having the plug in the glove box. sound quality didn't change using this setup
Old 03-08-2012, 12:17 PM
Members

What year is your BMW? 2007? I have a 2004 with the Small 6.5 Screen also.

I would love to have pandora on my screen.

Which Xcarlinkbox do i need to achieve the same results as you? Where did you purchase yours?

Travis

Old 03-09-2012, 04:54 AM
Members

Here is the response form Xcarlink:

Unfortunately we do not have an audio interface available for the e60 with the iDrive system.

1. Unfortunately our xcarlink ipod or USB interface + bluetooth module is not compatible with your model. It is only compatible with the older 5 series (e39).

2. The head unit will have a 12 pin connector but the audio interface is not comaptible.

3. Yes, the video in motion adapter will work if you have the factory fitted TV tuner or DVD player installed already. This will let you watch the TV tuner/DVD player whilst the car is in motion rather than only when stationary.

4. There are two options for delivery, both of which can be selected online when placing your order:

1) International signed for Post £11.87 - approx 3-7 days
2) TNT express £29.99 (1-3 days) fastest possible delivery service.

We have a video interface available for your car (SKU57) which enables you to add video input to your screen. For audio, you must use an AUX connection or FM modulator.

Please let me know if you have any further queries.
Old 03-09-2012, 07:57 AM
Members
Senior Members

Not sure which model xcarlink I have I actually purchased it off someone from these forums. I did have to connect the xcarlink to aux input . But the xcarlink has like 3 inputs, even more if you buy a imputed switcher but I only need 2 inputs really 1 for my iPhone and 1 for my Mac mini that's I plan to install.
Old 03-09-2012, 08:18 AM
Members

My Ride: | 2010 535i x-drive | Monaco Blue Metallic | Cream Beige Dakota | 6 Spd Manual | Sport | Cold Weather | Premium | HUD | Navi | Logic 7 |

Well to be honest, I have and use the usb y-cable adapter for my ipodconnections. When at first I used only the aux input because that way I coulduse a male to male extender and not have to open my armrest every time I gotinto my car (a very quick and easy connection). I realized that there is a hugeamount of white noise, the music itself is really low, and makes me crank up myspeakers to compensate (very uncomforting to be honest). Then I switched to myusb y-cable combo which made the issue go away. Now it is way beyond me why bmwwould make that cable only like 3 inches long but it works well neverthelessannoying because now it forces me have to open two compartments every time Iwant to plug it in (the armrest and the sub container).

The real kicker is this, I bought 4 different types of ipod male to femaleextenders to draw a ipod line out from the armrest but none of them work!however if you extend the cable from the backside (using a male to female, usb)it works great but now you have two cables to extend and a gross lookingy-cable adapter hanging around.

I checked the current coming in on the line using a BatteryLogger app and usingthe Ipod cable extender the current is 100ma whereas without it, using thenormal y-cable (without extension) the normal current rate is 500ma (there is aloss somewhere on the line but where?) well I guess this is what happens whenGermans and Californians can?t get along

Quick Reply: E60 AUX Questions