E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

E60 Angel Eye bulbs

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 07:44 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I suspect this is not the first time this question has been aired but someone out there may have the answer .

Running an 07 E60 535d ( LCI ) . I'm looking to replace the original Angel Eye bulb with a white as opposed to the usual yellow bulb that came with it . I have the normal H7 bulbs for dip & main , no HID's . and the dip is the projector type . The bulbs that are in at the moment are the " old bulbs ", see pic . There is a single bulb in each headlight unit . On taking the bulb out it appears that the bulb & the bulb holder are a single unit as the bulb is welded to the holder and is not replaceable with a better bulb .

Some sites advise that the bulb is a 501 wedge fitting but there is no way to take the bulb out so a wedge 501 'aint going to go in . One shop advised me that the " new bulb ", see pic again , would fit . The silver section of this bulb that protrudes out & holds the bulb and resembles the screw thread on a spark plug simply will not fit into the headlamp unit . There seems to be no way it will fit as it butts straight onto the optical pickup for the light . When the old light is in place it does not protrude into the headlamp unit at all . Any thoughts ?E60 Angel Eye bulbs-bmw3.jpg
Old 02-02-2010, 08:05 AM
Members

My Ride: E61 545i Sport Touring

I have the "new" bulb you show in mine OK (even though it is a 2005 E61). It's designed to replace the old one - it has the same three lugs and the finned aluminium bit does go up to the optics. I assume you know that the headlight unit is best removed to gain easier access etc.
Old 02-02-2010, 08:15 AM
Members

Took the unit out when I was going to fit the replacement " new bulb " . Wot a pain it was too . The new bulb was simply too long for the headlamp unit & fouls the optical pick up which was only just inside the unit so the " new bulb " would not even go into the unit at all . I understand the Xenon headlights have a diferent arrangement for the angel eye bulb so this could be part of the problem I am having.
Old 02-02-2010, 08:50 AM
Members

My Ride: E61 545i Sport Touring

Sorry but it was OK for mine and the head lights may be different as the dips are OEM HID. Visiting http://www.hids4u.co.uk/home.php seems to suggest when your model is enterred in the model identifier, that the front side lights are 501! And HID not available. Yet when I enter mine it says 501 which is incorrect as they were the OEM 10W halogens in the plastic housing exactly as depicted in your "old".

No doubt one of the other experienced followers of this site will advise something better.
Old 02-02-2010, 09:16 AM
Members

Had a quick look at this site and yep ... 501's get a mention . Went down to the local dealer with the log book the other day . When they entered in the chassis number etc ... up popped my " old Stlye " bulb on their system . Definitely not a 501 . They got one out of their stores and confirmed it was a sealed unit ie : the bulb was welded in place and it could not change the bulb on it's own.They couldn't confirm the wattage either. Several other bulb sites also quote the wedge 501 bulbs as been correct but BMW just say no no no ....

It was interesting to note that no bulb supplier other then BMW seem to stock my " old style " bulb . The plot thickens . Another sleepless night on the cards .
Old 02-02-2010, 09:36 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2010 535i M Sport 6MT
Model Year: 2010

On my 2004 E60 Bi-Xenon, I fitted the MTEC v2 Angel Eyes:

Took some time for careful wiggling to install, but it fitted securely
Old 02-02-2010, 09:45 AM
Contributors

I purchased the MtecV2's in a breeze. they are very bright. Member brabusw209amg can hook you up with them, he's the go to guy here for all lighting issues & needs.
Old 02-02-2010, 10:28 AM
Members

HEY! i have the same 'old bulbs' as u do. so what is ur problem actually? thinking of changing it to the new bulbs?

I dont see what it cannot be fitted as people fit on the mtech angel eye bulbs well. so that should fit shouldnt it?

do you have the part number for that new bulb? i wanna get it from the dealer n fit it on myself too.

so can u plx give it to me if u have the no.!

thanks!

p.s. is ur problem solved yet? lemme know!
Old 02-02-2010, 11:50 AM
Members

Sorry I don't have a part number but if you check out e/bay there are quite a few of these " new type " upgrades for the E60. It was not possible to fit them on mine as the optical pickup for the light was almost flush with the back of the headlight unit so the bulb of the " new type " could not be located " in " the light unit.
Old 02-02-2010, 12:51 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 525D M Sport, Carbon Black with Natural Brown Leather. Media Pack.

Hi 5man.

I have an LCI car with Halogen headlights. There is no straight replacement bulb available for our model as far as I know. All the references to replacements such as Mtech V2's and others are either for pre-LCI halogen or cars with OEM HID's.
Speak to John, brabusw209amg, as someone else said, he's the man when it comes to lighting.
You can ship him your bulbs and he will be able to fit a brighter/whiter replacement for you.I intend to do this, as soon as it's a bit warmer, (and after I fit the Logic7 speakers I've bought, but that's another story!)
Glad you posted a pic, as I wasn't quite sure what I was looking for. How easy was it to remove the bulb and is there only 1 per headlight? I know how to remove the actual headlight unit from the car.

Steve.

Quick Reply: E60 Angel Eye bulbs