E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

DVD/VCR/Monitor

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2004, 08:30 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,

Does anyone have any recommendations for monitors? My dealer recommended going to a local audio dealer and getting headrest monitors installed. Can anyone recommend models, etc?

Is it correct that the navigation system can't play standard DVDs or be connected to a VCR?

Thanks
Old 07-08-2004, 09:13 PM
Senior Members

Video Module 5 Drive which will be available in Europe allows for DVD playback and inputs for analog sources (e.g. game console, VCR, etc). So far though a proper intro and information for it's intro is sketchy. There is some info from some of the German members here on availability there....
Old 07-08-2004, 09:20 PM
Members

Thanks NickP.

Do you know if this system utilize the navigation screen or does it consist of a separate dedicated monitor?
Old 07-08-2004, 09:49 PM
Senior Members

It seems Video Module 5 Drive is for rear seat only. So far I've seen no reference to playing DVD on the front monitor (any of the Germany based folks want to chime in with any new info from their dealers)?
Old 07-09-2004, 03:53 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

No news, just a repeat:

As of now... If you have the TV option you can watch TV on the idrive screen. But when the car is making more than 2Km/h the screen turns black and the sound remains.
You can upgrade to a settop box what allows digital TV (you can switch from analogous to digital via remote) on your idrive screen, but also just up to 2 Km/h (TV module is required to upgrade).
Those are currently the only things you can display on the idrive screen.
BMW is working on a software update what will be released in October, hopefully. This software update will allow playing DVD's on the nav drive, so you will be able to watch movies on the idrive screen while car is not making more than 2 Km/h. No word yet if the TV option is required, but I DO think so. (The same software update will allow playing of MP3's).
If this will be available for th US spec cars... I don't know. But because the USA is known as the "land of the lawyers" I assume this will not be available on US cars (as posted on this board earlier by someone else).

There are aftermarket systems who bring the ability to watch whatever is coming through the video module (digital or analogous TV or even DVD's) even when the car is in motion.

Speaking for Germany: These systems are illegal. Having this system in the car installed means, your whole CAR is ILLEGAL ! That means, if the police stops you the car will be towed and you are not allowed to drive with it until it is fixed. Also there is a HUGE ticket waiting. In case you have an accident and you have this illegal system, your insurance will not pay for damage on your car, maybee not even for other damages, since they will say you watched TV while driving. And in case of having an accident you are going to lose your license for a while...

BMW is offering two different systems for REAR entertainment.
The rear entertainment package will be available soon (rumours say September). This means two monitors for the rear seats, 6 DVD changer in trunk, ability to use them seperately (each one in the back can watch his own movie), ability to use headsets. Another rumour says that it might be possible to plug a PS2, or something like that, in too.
The other system is available allready and gets attached to the cars ceiling, right in the middle. (I don't know if that means you gonna loose the lights for the rear, but in every pic I have seen it looked so). With this system you can play one DVD and you have the option to use headsets as well. No DVD changer, just one monitor. This monitor can be lifted up when not in use and is stored well and safe, the monitors on the rear entertainment package are permanently visible.

Another solution is a portable DVD-player.

There are several on the market - you can use it on the passenger seat and in the rear. This is not even in Germany illegal. It's just illegal to have it in use (for example) on the drivers sunblind while driving...