E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

DVD Navigation Issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 09:29 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Folks! Newbie here. Wanted some help from you experts. I have an 08 535xi w/ DVD navigation. I bought it from a used car dealer about 2 years ago and when I purchased it, they sold it to me with an aftermaket DVD navigation disc. After about 4 months of ownership, I started to notice that I would get error screens with the DVD nav. I would simply need to take it out, wait a few moments, then place the DVD back in. I dealt with the issue for about a year and a half.

The problem progress and it got worse and worse. About 2 months ago I purchased an original DVD Nav Disc from the dealer hoping this would resolve my issue. The problem was not fixed at all. As a matter of fact, after it completed the upgrade it completely disregards the fact that the DVD Nav disc is in the player. I'm thinking that I need a new DVD Nav player but they are pretty expensive. Any thoughts? Thanks is advance for any help you guys can offer.
Old 07-24-2012, 09:50 PM
Members

My Ride: 2009 BMW 528i Space Gray | Premium Package | Sports Package | Navigation

Originally Posted by 08TwinTurbo
Hey Folks! Newbie here. Wanted some help from you experts. I have an 08 535xi w/ DVD navigation. I bought it from a used car dealer about 2 years ago and when I purchased it, they sold it to me with an aftermaket DVD navigation disc. After about 4 months of ownership, I started to notice that I would get error screens with the DVD nav. I would simply need to take it out, wait a few moments, then place the DVD back in. I dealt with the issue for about a year and a half.

The problem progress and it got worse and worse. About 2 months ago I purchased an original DVD Nav Disc from the dealer hoping this would resolve my issue. The problem was not fixed at all. As a matter of fact, after it completed the upgrade it completely disregards the fact that the DVD Nav disc is in the player. I'm thinking that I need a new DVD Nav player but they are pretty expensive. Any thoughts? Thanks is advance for any help you guys can offer.
I had this same issue when I got my used e60, the original dvd was slightly scratch and when the weather was hot it would not read at all. I manage to find the software online and made a 2012 disc myself and it works better than the original disc.
Old 07-25-2012, 07:15 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

There is no "upgrade" the software is embedded on the CCC and the DVD only contains the NAV data - changing to a newer DVD only changes the NAV data.

Try creating an MP3 DVD and checking if it will play in the DVD slot (IIRC this should be possible). You may just need to have the DVD head cleaned. Worst case you have a bad DVD reader, but you might be able to source a used one here or on Ebay. GL.
Old 07-26-2012, 04:39 PM
Members

Originally Posted by pukka
There is no "upgrade" the software is embedded on the CCC and the DVD only contains the NAV data - changing to a newer DVD only changes the NAV data.

Try creating an MP3 DVD and checking if it will play in the DVD slot (IIRC this should be possible). You may just need to have the DVD head cleaned. Worst case you have a bad DVD reader, but you might be able to source a used one here or on Ebay. GL.

Thanks guys! I will check this out!
Old 07-26-2012, 04:56 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

Yah sounds like bad news. This is why I always advise against people from downloading and burning their own disks. Seems that the laser head on these units are pretty weak to being with. When you use burned discs, it causes the drive to work unnecessarily hard, and obviously wear itself out a lot sooner. Basically needless wear and tear.

Good luck trying out a cleaning disc, otherwise it's a couple hundred bucks to find another unit.
Old 07-26-2012, 06:02 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2010 535i M Sport 6MT
Model Year: 2010

Originally Posted by nomis_nehc
Yah sounds like bad news. This is why I always advise against people from downloading and burning their own disks. Seems that the laser head on these units are pretty weak to being with. When you use burned discs, it causes the drive to work unnecessarily hard, and obviously wear itself out a lot sooner. Basically needless wear and tear.
I agree from personal experience. I replaced my own DVD drive that was failing after I used a copy of my original disc.
Old 07-26-2012, 06:29 PM
Members

Originally Posted by vkhong
I agree from personal experience. I replaced my own DVD drive that was failing after I used a copy of my original disc.

Yeah, I bought the original from the dealer and then it just stopped working all together. Now I have a beautiful picture of the iDrive menu 24/7.... feeling like a complete noob
Old 07-26-2012, 06:31 PM
Members

can anyone give me there opinion on this? I checked with the dealer and they want about $850 for the DVD player. But If thats the case I might as well invest in something like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Car-DVD-Play...5e7fbc&vxp=mtr
Old 07-26-2012, 08:19 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2010 535i M Sport 6MT
Model Year: 2010

I have a DIY: BMW 2004 E60 530i (Pre-LCI) CCC DVD drive / player replacement
Old 07-26-2012, 09:17 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

can anyone give me there opinion on this? I checked with the dealer and they want about $850 for the DVD player. But If thats the case I might as well invest in something like this: http://www.ebay.com/...65e7fbc&vxp=mtr
Have never seen that personally. But the obvious issue would be the installation. I would fathom to guess that you're probably not technically inclined to do this install. So you'll have to factor in the cost of install, etc.

On the other hand, replacing CCC yourself is really simple. A plastic trim remover, four screws, and about 20 minutes and you're done.

Quick Reply: DVD Navigation Issue