E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Dumped the Runflats

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2005, 08:36 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Please see signature

After reading several threads on this forum, I finally took the plunge and replaced my horrible factory-fitted Bridgestone RE050 runflats with normal tyres. The car is *much much* quieter, glides over uneven roads, and the horrible skipping sensation is gone, as is the sensation of driving on solid wooden wheels.

I went for the Continental SportContact2's, 225/50R17 - same size as the original Bridgestones (I have style 138 wheels 7.5 x 17"). They seem quite soft, and have a rounded edge. One nice feature is that the alloy wheels seem quite well protected as they sit quite recessed in the tyre wall.

My first long drive was to the BMW dealership to drop off my wife's MINI (which has developed an oil leak) and we saw a brand new M5 in the showroom fitted with the same tyres (different sizes obviously).

Before getting the tyres changed, I bought the BMW emergency spare wheel kit (space-saver wheel, tyre, jack and brace). The tyre centre guy suggested I also buy a couple of cans of get-you-home puncture repair goo, "even if it just allows you to drive to a safer place to change the wheel, it's worth it", so I have that too.

If anyone's interested, the total cost was ?181 + ?480 = ?660 UK Pounds.

The tyres were ?480 for set of 4, fully fitted and balanced. The best price I got was over the phone from a local tyre shop, beating the best online quote of ?550 by quite a margin - a pleasant surprise.

Thanks to everyone who posted their runflat experiences on this forum - I probably wouldn't have done it without reading so many of your positive stories here.

For those of you still suffering with Dunlop runflats, here's an ironic fact to ponder: Early bicycles were called "boneshakers" before a Scottish vet, John Boyd Dunlop, introduced the pneumatic tyre in 1888.

Future plans:

a) I might look into a mild suspension upgrade. Now the tyres are softer, the standard suspension feels overly soft, and the car rolls a little too much for my liking. I'd be interested to hear feedback from anyone who's upgraded the standard suspension on their E60. I guess the BMW Sports suspension is one option - I might call to find out how much that would be, but I suspect it's going to be the most expensive option. I was thinking aftermarket springs/shocks might be a more sensible option - what do people think? My car is 20 months old, so invalidating the warranty might be a deciding factor...

b) DMS ECU re-map. Got a quote for ?795+VAT UK Pounds, so this might have to wait. I've also got my insurance broker checking how much this would add to my annual premium.

Merry Xmas to all
Old 12-15-2005, 08:54 AM
Members

Why so complicated??????

I have a set of runflat Goodyear 245/40/18" with sport suspensions and I am very happy about the ride of the car...
Old 12-15-2005, 09:06 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by Marco' post='211638' date='Dec 15 2005, 07:54 PM
Why so complicated??????

I have a set of runflat Goodyear 245/40/18" with sport suspensions and I am very happy about the ride of the car...

You must be driving somewhere with good roads.

Congrats red-max!

My Dunlop RF's will also go.
Old 12-15-2005, 12:26 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 BMW 530I steptronic, Orient Blue, Dakota Black Leather, Finishers Aluminium with Wave Cutting interior, NAVIgation, Radio PROFESSIONAL, CD in-dash, Hi-Fi extended sound system, PDC system, Bi-Xenons lights with washers, cruise-control, heated seats, Extended AC, auto"shade" mirrors, auto lights sensors, rain/wiper sensor, M-tech leather multifunction steering wheel, side airbags rearseats, sliding armrest, smoker's package (I don't smoke!), velour floor mats, spare wheel and jack, 122 style rims winter setup, M135 style rims summer setup [color=red]Mods:[/color] [color=blue]M tech sport steering wheel with M5 SMG paddles working retrofit done ! Trunk lid opening button retrofit done.[/color] [color=blue]3M window 35% tint done Chrome grilles E60.net Clings [/color]

my man. I did same and I'm happy.
Old 12-15-2005, 04:07 PM
Contributors

I think i am one of the few left wth R/F. Well, i only have 500 miles on my car and the roads where i've driven are smooth. I wonder what my reaction will be when i get to messy roads? Oh well.....let's waitc.
Old 12-15-2005, 04:11 PM
Members

I guess you just don't know what you're missing until you try it, but I feel like my car is smooth as silk with RFs. I just can't imagine that changing the tires would be this whole new world because I like my car the way it is.

Though I admit, you've all got me curious now.
Old 12-15-2005, 05:08 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545iA Orient Blue, Beige/Poplar, Sport, NAV, Sirius, Logic 7, CWP, PDC, Fold Downs, Sunshades, Bluetooth and “Sweeeeet”

Just had the R/Fs replaced by the dealer at no charge.
At 15000 miles they sounded like a school bus with snow tires
I guess i'll give these another chance but won't be surprised if they do the same.
Old 12-15-2005, 10:57 PM
Senior Members

WeIcome to the ARF club!