E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Dual Exhaust Idea

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2006, 07:54 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 545i 6spd manual. Euro Delivery, Nav, Sport Pkg, 35%Johnson Tint

Check out this pic from eisenmanns site on the installation for their quad exhaust. It seems to be functional and they have even squeezed a resonator or something for the right sided exhaust. I am tempted just to order just the right elbow (if possible) for the quad look. I could care less about how it sounds!

Any thoughts.....
Attached Thumbnails Dual Exhaust Idea-eisenmann.jpg  
Old 03-23-2006, 08:05 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60 M5, F85 X5M

I don't think it's a resonator although I don't know what it is. I do know that it's NOT functional because there is no outlet to the two exhaust tips to the right. The tips are welded onto that flat flange at the bumper opening. If you look into the tips, it's blocked by that flange...no flow.
Old 03-23-2006, 08:32 AM
Members

My Ride: 545i 6spd manual. Euro Delivery, Nav, Sport Pkg, 35%Johnson Tint

Just spoke to the guy at Eisenhaus, the US distributor for Eisenmann. He is very familiar with this system and said that the tips on the right are functional despite their crimped appearance. In fact he said that the back pressure etc. has been calculated to accomodate the right sided exhausts, so its completely symetrical in terms of gas flow.
Old 03-23-2006, 08:53 AM
Contributors

Looks like flexible tubing instead of a resonator.
Old 03-23-2006, 10:59 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E60 M5, F85 X5M

Originally Posted by singhss' post='258923' date='Mar 23 2006, 09:32 AM
Just spoke to the guy at Eisenhaus, the US distributor for Eisenmann. He is very familiar with this system and said that the tips on the right are functional despite their crimped appearance. In fact he said that the back pressure etc. has been calculated to accomodate the right sided exhausts, so its completely symetrical in terms of gas flow.
Wow, interesting! I could have sworn when I looked at soc_fans exhaust, the right tips were blocked by that flange.
Old 03-28-2006, 01:47 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 550i White/Black, SMG, Sports Pkg, Comfort Access, Nav, HUD, Satellite Radio, Anthracite Maple Trim 2006 X5 3.0, Black/Black, Sports Pkg, Premium Pkg, Xenon Adaptive Headlight, NAV, Rear Climate Pkg, Anthracite Trim

I saw it up close too and it is blocked its welded to the back plate with no holes.
Old 03-28-2006, 03:59 PM
Contributors

The bad thing is the right-side exhaust is next to the battery compartment.
Old 03-30-2006, 08:37 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i - 6 speed manual (July 04 build), silver-grey/black, sports package std equipment (18", active roll, active steering, adaptive headlights), premium sound, bluetooth enabled, folding rear seat, lumbar, 3m hood/bumper protective film, rear tint, euro reflectors.

Originally Posted by singhss' post='258626' date='Mar 22 2006, 03:19 PM
I was just thinkin the other day, if it would be possible to snag the exhausts off of a 645/650 and modify just the tips for an M5 look.

Since the 2 cars share a lotta parts (maybe even chassis) the modifications should be minimal.
Does anyone have any experience with this???
Will not work - the 545i right side slot is not big enough.

The Eisenman is shown and does have exhaust coming out of the right side.

The Hamann wraps a pipe out of the main muffler and has a small silencer on the right side. both are fully functional. Sound is fairly quite if you are leaving all of the resonators. If you like a quite ride on the freeway, this is the way to go.

Performance gains of this system are virtually zero - however that is not saying much since the stock exhaust system is pretty free flowing. The second muffler on the stock exhaust opens up under heavy acceleration.

The RDS is the best for flow, but will be louder. If you like the sound of the B&B, I think you will like this system. The mufflers are big and straight through. The right side muffler will fit in the slot between the battery and spare tire. If you are worried about heat, you can get the cool & quiet self adhesive insulation and cover the slot. I actually did this with the Hamann system as I did not want to have any temp issues with the battery.

I really like the design of the RDS system - I just did not want the louder noise.
Old 09-23-2010, 10:01 PM
Members

Originally Posted by jsal
Will not work - the 545i right side slot is not big enough.

The Eisenman is shown and does have exhaust coming out of the right side.

The Hamann wraps a pipe out of the main muffler and has a small silencer on the right side. both are fully functional. Sound is fairly quite if you are leaving all of the resonators. If you like a quite ride on the freeway, this is the way to go.

Performance gains of this system are virtually zero - however that is not saying much since the stock exhaust system is pretty free flowing. The second muffler on the stock exhaust opens up under heavy acceleration.

The RDS is the best for flow, but will be louder. If you like the sound of the B&B, I think you will like this system. The mufflers are big and straight through. The right side muffler will fit in the slot between the battery and spare tire. If you are worried about heat, you can get the cool & quiet self adhesive insulation and cover the slot. I actually did this with the Hamann system as I did not want to have any temp issues with the battery.

I really like the design of the RDS system - I just did not want the louder noise.

where did you get your isulation. I have a 550i and IAM INSTALLING AN RDS QUAD EXHAUST
Please advise
Thanks
Old 09-24-2010, 02:06 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: Jan 2006 E63 650i Sport . Options: Sport version (includes: sport-seats, sport-suspension, M-Sport steering wheel, Anthracite headliner, Shaddow Line), Saphire Black, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple Wood trim, Steptronic Auto, Xenons, NAV-Professional with Voice Control, TV, CD-Changer, Bluetooth, Logic7, Head-up Display, Comfort Access, Seat Heating front, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Extended Auto Air Conditioning, PDC. . Mods: Spacers 5mm front & 15mm rear . Wheels: 20" Alpina Softline (Classic) with Dunlop Sport Maxx non-RFT (255/35/20 & 285/30/20)

Originally Posted by rolly888
where did you get your isulation. I have a 550i and IAM INSTALLING AN RDS QUAD EXHAUST
Please advise
Thanks
you just replied to a 4 year old post -- you might be better off PMing the member directly

Quick Reply: Dual Exhaust Idea