E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Drone Resonance and more Droning Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2007, 05:50 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You cannot use our universal mufflers in the center, nor on the right side.
Center : Our mufflers are 1 inlet only, not 2 as you would need. The Single oval is also one outlet pipe only, not two, if you intend to cut off the tips and use it as a center muffler.
Right side : none of our mufflers will fit there.

Best option is still the pre fabbed quad setup, however as we told you it's a 10 weeks wait.
Old 12-13-2007, 10:31 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by SoCalM5Mang' post='506248' date='Dec 13 2007, 12:37 AM
Hey Guys! I wanted to chime into this thread so I could make sure I knew how to instruct Triple AAA on the finer details of my Quad Exhaust install on Friday.
Thanks to VT-Rody-Newbie Bimmer-NYUBALLER and especially Bimmer32 for teaching me much more than I ever knew about Quad Exhaust Set-ups.

I gave my M-Tech diffuser to Triple AAA on Monday and they are customizing it for a 2nd port and maintaing the "lip" over each port as on the left side of the 08 M-Tech Sport diffuser. They are also customizing ACS tips in Gun Metal paint color to match my power coated 172 M Rims.

Originally Pepe(the master tech there)said he was going to install a Remus Oval Muffler in the center with X-Pipe 3 OE Resonators and custom pipes((cutting one of the resonators) to the tail. I don't want droning-resonance or any ridiculous/obnoxious loud sound. From talking to others here, I'm going to need to make sure Triple AAA in addition to their recommended set-up installs 2 Universal "off-set" Turbo Mufflers in the rear and makes sure that both are set up to lay as horizontal as possible. These rear mufflers should suppress any loud "straight pipe sound".

Can anybody here recommend the perfect "Turbo Mufflers" that will maintain low end torque, produce a solid improvement over stock sound and most importanly fit within the 5' space on the right side of the battery housing? (other than the Borla or Magnaflow)

Triple AAA maintains that Universal Remus Mufflers will also fit without any ground clearance issues but I have no idea if they truly fit into the 5'space on the right side of the battery compartment as they say they will.

Also what is the largest size muffler that will fit in the center of a 550i as shown in the picture of the install from Alex FW? What manufacturer would be best(I'm thinking Remus)
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=...hl=quad+exhaust

Do I need all 3 Mufflers to maintain what I want, or can I get away with just two rear Turbo Mufflers, X-Pipe, 3 Resonators and custom piping to the tail(cutting one of the resonators)?

Your help/recommendations are appreciated because I'm going to make sure I stay with the Techs all the way thru the install making sure I get exactly what I'm asking for. Phil the owner of Triple AAA is very confident he is going to give me exactly what I want.

Thanks for your thoughts.

So Cal
Jay,

The only Remus mufflers that "may" fit on the right side between the battery compartment and the spare tire compartment are the "oval can" universals which have a dimension of 4.72" x 7.48". I think 4.72" may still be way too close to the approx. 5" space available , but if AAA thinks that they can squeeze it in there without the chance of it rubbing the sides when the car is in motion then I guess they can use that. The Remus also does not have an offset outlet, so it "may" hang a little low.

Magnaflow and Borla do have 4"x9" universals, and those definitely fit. If they use the versions with the "offset" outlet then the one on the right side "should" not be hanging any lower than the one on the left. One thing to keep in mind is that Magnaflow has a model called "XL" or "XL TURBO" and Borla has one with an almost identical name of "Turbo XL". The Magnaflow one is a "chambered" design while the Borla one is a straight through design.

Looking at AlexFW's pictures there seems to be a good amount of room in the center where the oem resonators used to be. Another option would be to leave the front double resonators on and remove the center box resonator and put an oval muffler (maybe a Remus) in that location. Then they can route two straight pipes to the tips (the Remus tips would need to be cut of coarse). I know that Remus mufflers have a single inlet only (as Matt said), but the muffler shop can always use a Y-Pipe to go from the double resonators to the single Remus inlet. If it ends up that with the center resonator removed there is some droning I guess they can add two more small round resonators (one on each pipe) where the original muffler used to be and in the 5" space on the right side. Of coarse, this is assuming they can get a big enough muffler in the center to fit the car's power/flow requirements.

So if you want rear mounted mufflers then I would go with Borlas as the Remus at 4.72" is way too close to the approx. 5" space IMO. But if they are willing to do a center mounted muffler (replacing the center box resonator) then I would go with a Remus because there is less chance of droning. Ideally a 545/550 Remus mounted in that location and split into two straight pipes to the tips would be best. But I don't know if the 545/550 Remus would fit there or not. Looking at AlexFW's picture (which I am reposting here) the space there looks bigger than I had imagined. The oval can that he has mounted there looks similar in size to the Remus 545/550 exhaust.....and that's at the front end, the space looks even wider towards the end of the center section. I bet AAA can make a Remus 545/550 muffler fit where the oem box resonator sits....which is where Alex has put the two double round resonators in this picture.

AlexFw's Pic
Drone Resonance and more Droning Thread-alexfw_quad.jpg

Remus 545/550 exhaust
Drone Resonance and more Droning Thread-545_550_remus.jpg

Magnaflow XL or XL TURBO
Drone Resonance and more Droning Thread-xl02.jpg

Borla Turbo XL
Drone Resonance and more Droning Thread-borla.jpg
Old 12-13-2007, 12:02 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i, Silver Grey, Sport Package, R. Shades, Cold Pkg, Sat. Rad., Prem. Sound.

OK, here's a loaded response.

The reason they (Alex) put the muffler behind the headers is because area has a bigger space compared to the area where the OE boxed resonator sits (which is the location where he relocated the 2 resonators). From there it goes to the back.

Here's my setup.

1. From the headers, keep the 2 stock resonators where they are. After them, cut the pipe and add an x-pipe.
2. After the x-pipe, cut (both ends) the OE boxed resonator and weld it after the x-pipe
3. Going out of the OE boxed resonator (it's actually 2 straight pipes inside) will be 2 custom piping, each going to each side of the car.
4. Instead of a round 4" muffler (essentially glasspacks) on each side, you would use the following:

On left side, for turbo mufflers (preferrably a 4x9), you can use Dynomax, Magnaflow, or Borla turbo mufflers of any offset (side to side, center to center, side to center) because you have room to. Of course, the muffler will sit horizontally.

On the right side, you MUST use a muffler no larger than 4x9 to be laid Vertically. You should not get a side to side because the inlet position will be too high. You might get away with center to side (bottom). Your best bet is to get a same side to same side 4x9 turbo muffler, but I don't know if anyone makes such a design in 4x9. So your only option right now is a dynomax or magnaflow (center inlet and side outlet) unless you can find a same side to same side turbo muffler. The magnaflows are very inexpensive online versus retail. I'm not sure about dynomax.

http://www.dynomax.com/ecat/pdfs/superturbo.pdf

http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/shopdis...main&id=303

The pipe size I used throughout is 2 1/4 (2.25). Whatever you do, keep the mufflers the same on both side.

With this setup, you essentially have a stock airflow (probably a little more CFM) with the exception of the butterfly valve. The air path is different from stock, the mufflers will be of similar design of stock, and I believe it will be louder than stock but definitely no droning / esonance because of the turbo muffler designs.

On a side note, I stuffed my 4" round mufflers with SS wool (7.5" x 4" sheet) that completely lined the inside of the 2.25 pipe, but still leaves room for airflow. The sound droning inside the car is COMPLETELY GONE from all rpm range in all gears. Though, the exhaust note does not change and the sound level is noticeably louder than stock. If my wife is OK with it, then it passed the test.
Old 12-13-2007, 12:19 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 E63 AMG | Obsidian Black | Schwarzes Nappa | Black BirdEye Maple | Premium II Package | Electronic Trunk Closer | Parktronic Engine: RPi/Powerchips custom ECU tune, RPi Ram Air Kit (BMC filter, scoops), RennTech Sport exhaust, secondary cats, charcoal and resonator delete, custom AAA x-pipe Exterior: 50% side windows / 35% rear window Formula One Pinnacle Series | Flat AMG hood emblem Suspension: Renntech Lowering Module Wheels/Tires: Radenergie R10, Falken FK452 245/30/20, Yokohama ADVAN Sport 285/25/20 ----------------------------------------- 2005 545i Sport SMG | Ti Grau | Schwarzes Dakota | Anthracite Maple | Logic 7 | Nav Engine: Custom AFE CAI, Superchips ECU remap, Sprint Booster, RDSport Dual Exhaust Conversion with Quad Pipes and X-pipe, 3 resonators deleted, 90mm tips! Exterior: M-Tech Aero kit | M5 Mirrors | M5 Rear Bumper | Trunk Lid Finisher | Vorsteiner decklid spoiler | 50% Formula One Pinnacle Tint Suspension and Brakes: Bilstein PSS9 coilovers, JBT BBK: 16" cross-drilled rotors, 8 piston and 15" cross-drilled rotors, 4 piston Wheels: VIP Modular VR 02 20x9F, 20x10R | Toyo T1R 245/30/20F, 285/25/20R Lights: PIAA 4150K Xtreme White Plus fog lights, AIB v3 MOST IMPORTANT: Hardwired V1; =) ED Date: 4/7/05, Re-delivery date: 5/21/05

Bimmer32,
You have become quite the resident e60.net exhaust expert.
Old 12-13-2007, 01:01 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 Silver 535i Virgin--Becoming a Beast!

Originally Posted by Bimmer32' post='506460' date='Dec 13 2007, 01:02 PM

The reason they (Alex) put the muffler behind the headers is because area has a bigger space compared to the area where the OE boxed resonator sits (which is the location where he relocated the 2 resonators). From there it goes to the back.

Here's my setup.

1. From the headers, keep the 2 stock resonators where they are. After them, cut the pipe and add an x-pipe.
2. After the x-pipe, cut (both ends) the OE boxed resonator and weld it after the x-pipe
3. Going out of the OE boxed resonator (it's actually 2 straight pipes inside) will be 2 custom piping, each going to each side of the car.
4. Instead of a round 4" muffler (essentially glasspacks) on each side, you would use the following:

On left side, for turbo mufflers (preferrably a 4x9), you can use Dynomax, Magnaflow, or Borla turbo mufflers of any offset (side to side, center to center, side to center) because you have room to. Of course, the muffler will sit horizontally.

On the right side, you MUST use a muffler no larger than 4x9 to be laid Vertically. You should not get a side to side because the inlet position will be too high. You might get away with center to side (bottom). Your best bet is to get a same side to same side 4x9 turbo muffler, but I don't know if anyone makes such a design in 4x9. So your only option right now is a dynomax or magnaflow (center inlet and side outlet) unless you can find a same side to same side turbo muffler. The magnaflows are very inexpensive online versus retail. I'm not sure about dynomax.

The pipe size I used throughout is 2 1/4 (2.25). Whatever you do, keep the mufflers the same on both side.

With this setup, you essentially have a stock airflow (probably a little more CFM) with the exception of the butterfly valve. The air path is different from stock, the mufflers will be of similar design of stock, and I believe it will be louder than stock but definitely no droning / esonance because of the turbo muffler designs.

On a side note, I stuffed my 4" round mufflers with SS wool (7.5" x 4" sheet) that completely lined the inside of the 2.25 pipe, but still leaves room for airflow. The sound droning inside the car is COMPLETELY GONE from all rpm range in all gears. Though, the exhaust note does not change and the sound level is noticeably louder than stock. If my wife is OK with it, then it passed the test.
Quy--You are the man! Phone call coming.

Thanks for your direction.

Detailed instructions are needed.

So Cal(Jay C)
Old 12-13-2007, 03:00 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Bimmer32' post='506460' date='Dec 13 2007, 01:02 PM

Here's my setup.

Hi Quy!

Thanks for your help. I wanted to re-hash what we just described as the two potential options for Triple AAA tomorrow?

Two Options:

___AlexF's set up with Center Muffler and Two Rears(paraphrasing Rody?s suggestion from the thread below)(the two Rears being Turbo 4x9 Dynomax-center inlet and side outlet on both sides to uniformly fit best with least hang)
If they are willing to do a center mounted muffler (replacing the center box resonator) then I would go with a Remus because there is less chance of droning. Ideally a 545/550 Remus mounted in that location and split into two straight pipes to the tips would be best. But I don't know if the 545/550 Remus would fit there or not. Looking at AlexFW's picture (which I am reposting here) the space there looks bigger than I had imagined. The oval can that he has mounted there looks similar in size to the Remus 545/550 exhaust.....and that's at the front end, the space looks even wider towards the end of the center section. I bet AAA can make a Remus 545/550 muffler fit where the oem box resonator sits....which is where Alex has put the two double round resonators in this picture.

___Your Set-Up as we discussed: (what I'm 90% likely to do)
From the headers, keep the 2 stock resonators where they are. After them, cut the pipe and add an x-pipe. After the x-pipe, cut (both ends) of the OE boxed resonator and weld it after the x-pipe. Going out of the OE boxed resonator (it's actually 2 straight pipes inside) will be 2 custom piping, each going to each side of the car. Install 4x9 Super Turbo Dynomax (center inlet with side outlet on both left and right side and weld to my custom ACS tips

Does the size of the piping matter with either set-up?

Thanks Guys!

Jay C
Old 12-13-2007, 03:42 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by SoCalM5Mang' post='506511' date='Dec 13 2007, 04:00 PM

......___AlexF's set up with Center Muffler and Two Rears(paraphrasing Rody?s suggestion from the thread below)(the two Rears being Turbo 4x9 Dynomax-center inlet and side outlet on both sides to uniformly fit best with least hang)

Jay,

Just to clarify.........what I meant was EITHER a center muffler (Remus 545/550) in place of the box resonator OR two rear oval mufflers.....but not both (so it isn't exactly the same as Alex's as he seems to have one center muffler and two rear mufflers). If the center muffler with two straight pipes going to the tips ends up with some droning then I would add two small round resonators (not oval mufflers) in the back where the original muffler was and the 5" space on the right side.

You already know that I'm getting the Remus quad for the I6's installed on my car (hopefully tomorrow). However, if later on I decide that I want a balanced output from both the right and left side I would go with the Remus 545/550 in the center with or without tube resonators at the back.....depending on whether there is some droning or not after removing the center resonator.

Does anyone know if it matters what order each component goes in? What I mean is that in the oem setup the resonators always come before the muffler.....would it be OK to have it the other way around with the muffler in the middle and the resonators coming AFTER the muffler? So the complete setup being the two tube resonators up front, then a muffler in place of the box resonator in the middle, and then another set of tube resonators at the rear?
Old 12-13-2007, 04:52 PM
Senior Members

Straight through mufflers are basically resonators, think about it in terms of size.
With the setup you described, the difference will be in cabin noise, which will be reduce by our bigger canister.
Old 12-14-2007, 09:56 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by RemusExhaustShop' post='506546' date='Dec 13 2007, 05:52 PM
Straight through mufflers are basically resonators, think about it in terms of size.
With the setup you described, the difference will be in cabin noise, which will be reduce by our bigger canister.
Couple of last questions:

___Piping---I'm assuming I should try and stick to stock size piping as much as possible to minimize/prevent low end torque loss? (double pipe areas (between the two resonators) is about 2.25" diameter and in the single pipe areas (between the box resonator and the rear muffler) is about 2.9"-3.1" diameter.

___Rear Mufflers---I want to use the Dynomax Super Turbo Muffler due to its chambered technology. Would using this Chambered design hurt low end torque versus a Magnaflow Turbo that is straight thru?

Thanks guys!

So Cal
Old 12-14-2007, 09:58 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 E63 AMG | Obsidian Black | Schwarzes Nappa | Black BirdEye Maple | Premium II Package | Electronic Trunk Closer | Parktronic Engine: RPi/Powerchips custom ECU tune, RPi Ram Air Kit (BMC filter, scoops), RennTech Sport exhaust, secondary cats, charcoal and resonator delete, custom AAA x-pipe Exterior: 50% side windows / 35% rear window Formula One Pinnacle Series | Flat AMG hood emblem Suspension: Renntech Lowering Module Wheels/Tires: Radenergie R10, Falken FK452 245/30/20, Yokohama ADVAN Sport 285/25/20 ----------------------------------------- 2005 545i Sport SMG | Ti Grau | Schwarzes Dakota | Anthracite Maple | Logic 7 | Nav Engine: Custom AFE CAI, Superchips ECU remap, Sprint Booster, RDSport Dual Exhaust Conversion with Quad Pipes and X-pipe, 3 resonators deleted, 90mm tips! Exterior: M-Tech Aero kit | M5 Mirrors | M5 Rear Bumper | Trunk Lid Finisher | Vorsteiner decklid spoiler | 50% Formula One Pinnacle Tint Suspension and Brakes: Bilstein PSS9 coilovers, JBT BBK: 16" cross-drilled rotors, 8 piston and 15" cross-drilled rotors, 4 piston Wheels: VIP Modular VR 02 20x9F, 20x10R | Toyo T1R 245/30/20F, 285/25/20R Lights: PIAA 4150K Xtreme White Plus fog lights, AIB v3 MOST IMPORTANT: Hardwired V1; =) ED Date: 4/7/05, Re-delivery date: 5/21/05

SoCal,
Are you at AAA this morning? My E63 is there right now getting an x-pipe installed.

Quick Reply: Drone Resonance and more Droning Thread