E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Drone Resonance and more Droning Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 03:10 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i, Silver Grey, Sport Package, R. Shades, Cold Pkg, Sat. Rad., Prem. Sound.

Originally Posted by rodybmw' post='499460' date='Nov 27 2007, 04:06 AM
Interesting.........aren't the steel wools blocking the exhaust path? Are they not restricting the flow?
No, not really. It actually helps with low end torque (supposedly), and when I stomp on the gas, it gets blown out. By that time, there would be no restriction. If I'm luck, it'll be red hot fireball shoot at back at the competition.

Joking aside, I'm getting SS wool, and working a fabrication to keep the wool in. There is some exhaust restricts, but no more than a babbled muffler.
Old 12-01-2007, 10:12 PM
Contributors

I don't have droning sound in my car, my old setup removed all the resonators, there were droning but my new set up with the magnaflow exhaust/ and resonator on both side, it's fine. sounds good. I even got the magna flow dual exhaust tips on both sides oval.
Attached Thumbnails Drone Resonance and more Droning Thread-magnaflow_exhaust.jpg  
Old 12-02-2007, 07:25 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i, Silver Grey, Sport Package, R. Shades, Cold Pkg, Sat. Rad., Prem. Sound.

Originally Posted by ivan545' post='501673' date='Dec 2 2007, 01:12 AM
I don't have droning sound in my car, my old setup removed all the resonators, there were droning but my new set up with the magnaflow exhaust/ and resonator on both side, it's fine. sounds good. I even got the magna flow dual exhaust tips on both sides oval.
So your setup is a 4x9 oval straight through (not turbo) on the left and 4" round on the right with all three OE resonators in place? Does the 4x9 oval do a much better job than the 4" muffler? Can you post some sound clip? Having 2 different mufflers like that, does it sound difference on each side? My droning issue is between 1500 and 2000 rpm.
Old 12-03-2007, 01:59 AM
Senior Members

I'm currently running magnaflow as well. Do you have any pics of the oval tips you used?
Old 12-03-2007, 04:30 AM
Contributors

This is my new set up, magna flow exhaust, magna flow resonator and magna flow tips
Attached Thumbnails Drone Resonance and more Droning Thread-img_0917.jpg   Drone Resonance and more Droning Thread-img_0918.jpg   Drone Resonance and more Droning Thread-img_0920.jpg   Drone Resonance and more Droning Thread-img_0921.jpg   Drone Resonance and more Droning Thread-img_0922.jpg  

Drone Resonance and more Droning Thread-img_0923.jpg   Drone Resonance and more Droning Thread-img_0923.jpg   Drone Resonance and more Droning Thread-img_0924.jpg   Drone Resonance and more Droning Thread-img_0940.jpg   Drone Resonance and more Droning Thread-img_0945.jpg  

Old 12-03-2007, 04:33 AM
Contributors

This is my old setup, straight pipe and muffler and dual tips. Lots of droning high end power.
Attached Thumbnails Drone Resonance and more Droning Thread-1.jpg   Drone Resonance and more Droning Thread-11.jpg   Drone Resonance and more Droning Thread-dsc00559.jpg  
Old 12-03-2007, 09:44 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by ivan545' post='502076' date='Dec 3 2007, 07:33 AM
This is my old setup, straight pipe and muffler and dual tips. Lots of droning high end power.
Nice pics. You even have the side grilles.
Old 12-03-2007, 10:07 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 07' 550i sport; Sapphire Black/Auburn; sport package; steptronic; navigation with R.T.T.I.; heads up; cold weather package; Logic-7; BMW MOST ipod kit; Motorola V3 snap-in adapter; rear heated seats and rear shades; anthracite headliner; sirrius sat. radio; M-aero kit; OEM style 166 Wheels with 245/35-19 front and 285/30-19 rear Michelin PS2s.

Hey Bimmer 32,

I have the Dinan Exhaust on my 550. Its a single chamber muffler and it produces the droning you describe. It really bugs me too. You have a few people in the car cruising in traffic on the highway, and the second you let off the gas and cruise, Brrrrrrrrrrrrr. I have a steptronic, so DS is a must to keep the RPMs up. If I use drive, the droning is even boomier. These are BMWs, not muscle cars or exotics. They are powerful but refined. I changed the exhaust because the OEM muffler on my pre LCI was too quiet at startup. The 08' LCI sport muffler is a nice compromise. It sounds about 50% as throaty as the Dinan at start up (although the grumble is not at as low a frequency), and also about 50% as good as the Dinan at full throttle with high rpms. However, its almost 100% free of the droning. Its less than a $900.00 installed with tips (if you get it from a online discount dealer like Newport).

As you said, the only way around the droning is with a dual chamber muffler. I also read about an Eisenmann dual chamber single sided exhaust on the board here.

What I can't understand is why BMW made the 645/650 sound soooooo good stock, and then sandbagged the 545/550 sport package exhaust?

Good luck,
DRP
Old 12-03-2007, 08:41 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by 550isport' post='502149' date='Dec 3 2007, 01:07 PM
Hey Bimmer 32,

I have the Dinan Exhaust on my 550. Its a single chamber muffler and it produces the droning you describe. It really bugs me too. You have a few people in the car cruising in traffic on the highway, and the second you let off the gas and cruise, Brrrrrrrrrrrrr. I have a steptronic, so DS is a must to keep the RPMs up. If I use drive, the droning is even boomier. These are BMWs, not muscle cars or exotics. They are powerful but refined. I changed the exhaust because the OEM muffler on my pre LCI was too quiet at startup. The 08' LCI sport muffler is a nice compromise. It sounds about 50% as throaty as the Dinan at start up (although the grumble is not at as low a frequency), and also about 50% as good as the Dinan at full throttle with high rpms. However, its almost 100% free of the droning. Its less than a $900.00 installed with tips (if you get it from a online discount dealer like Newport).

As you said, the only way around the droning is with a dual chamber muffler. I also read about an Eisenmann dual chamber single sided exhaust on the board here.

What I can't understand is why BMW made the 645/650 sound soooooo good stock, and then sandbagged the 545/550 sport package exhaust?

Good luck,
DRP
I guess BMW thinks 2 doors are for sports and the 4 door crowd are sleepers.

I've gone quad exhaust setup (muffler on each side), so the new stock won't work for me. Thank you for the suggestion. I think I've solved my own problem. I got some SS wool and through testing the amount of SS wool to be used in each exhaust, I have achieved the sound I want at all rpm levels.

The buttefly valve solution is uncertain because I don't know when it will open. The hope is that it only opens after 2000+ rpm, but that's still untested. Putting 2 4x9 straight through mufflers will probably still be loud unless I can hear and ride it in person. Putting baffled mufflers will require me to redo the whole exhaust piping again (don't really want to do that). So for the time being, this cheap mod trick of layering some SS wool will do. Now I just need to find some staggered dual exhaust tips.
Old 12-12-2007, 11:37 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 Silver 535i Virgin--Becoming a Beast!

Originally Posted by rodybmw' post='498076' date='Nov 23 2007, 03:09 AM
I installed a B&B muffler on my 545 a few years ago and after a month or so I couldn't take the droning anymore, so I put the stock muffler back on. Since then I have been looking for local members who have installed different exhausts on their cars so that I could take a ride in their cars and see if there are any that don't drone. In the last few months I've been bitten by the quad bug and have stepped up my research. Here's what I've found out:

Remus quad system for the 525/530.......I heard this on both an Inline 6 and a V8. The inline 6 had all resonators removed and there was some droning, but much less than other systems that I had heard. The V8 still had all the resonators on the car and I did not hear any resonance/droning at all. That in addition to the deep "civilized" sound that was slightly louder than the stock has made this Remus my favorite system as of now.

A couple of things that I found out while I was researching the different setups:

-I also called Borla and talked to their tech and he said to use the biggest muffler that I could fit in order to minimize the chance of droning and only have a 30% louder sound vs. the stock. He recommended their Borla Turbo XL.

By the way, both Borla and Magnaflow have ovals that would fit in the 5" space and they both have "offset" mufflers which have the outlet pipe at one end of the oval instead of the center of the oval. If you install the muffler so that that end is at the bottom then the muffler won't hang below the bumper level any more than a standard muffler on the left side.

So at this point personally I think the Remus quad for the I6's is the best setup for me. I heard it on Peter's (Newbiebimmer's) car and I have ordered one for my car too, although it will take a few weeks to get it in and installed.
Hey Guys! I wanted to chime into this thread so I could make sure I knew how to instruct Triple AAA on the finer details of my Quad Exhaust install on Friday.
Thanks to VT-Rody-Newbie Bimmer-NYUBALLER and especially Bimmer32 for teaching me much more than I ever knew about Quad Exhaust Set-ups.

I gave my M-Tech diffuser to Triple AAA on Monday and they are customizing it for a 2nd port and maintaing the "lip" over each port as on the left side of the 08 M-Tech Sport diffuser. They are also customizing ACS tips in Gun Metal paint color to match my power coated 172 M Rims.

Originally Pepe(the master tech there)said he was going to install a Remus Oval Muffler in the center with X-Pipe 3 OE Resonators and custom pipes((cutting one of the resonators) to the tail. I don't want droning-resonance or any ridiculous/obnoxious loud sound. From talking to others here, I'm going to need to make sure Triple AAA in addition to their recommended set-up installs 2 Universal "off-set" Turbo Mufflers in the rear and makes sure that both are set up to lay as horizontal as possible. These rear mufflers should suppress any loud "straight pipe sound".

Can anybody here recommend the perfect "Turbo Mufflers" that will maintain low end torque, produce a solid improvement over stock sound and most importanly fit within the 5' space on the right side of the battery housing? (other than the Borla or Magnaflow)

Triple AAA maintains that Universal Remus Mufflers will also fit without any ground clearance issues but I have no idea if they truly fit into the 5'space on the right side of the battery compartment as they say they will.

Also what is the largest size muffler that will fit in the center of a 550i as shown in the picture of the install from Alex FW? What manufacturer would be best(I'm thinking Remus)
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=...hl=quad+exhaust

Do I need all 3 Mufflers to maintain what I want, or can I get away with just two rear Turbo Mufflers, X-Pipe, 3 Resonators and custom piping to the tail(cutting one of the resonators)?

Your help/recommendations are appreciated because I'm going to make sure I stay with the Techs all the way thru the install making sure I get exactly what I'm asking for. Phil the owner of Triple AAA is very confident he is going to give me exactly what I want.

Thanks for your thoughts.

So Cal

Quick Reply: Drone Resonance and more Droning Thread