E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Drill out holes for pdc?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2013, 04:05 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 530xi w m5 tech kit, 2007 Mercedes e63 AMG, 2005 ford expedition
Default Drill out holes for pdc?

Has anyone ever drilled out holes for pdc sensors on a non pdc mtech bumper? If so was it expensive to get done?
Old 05-27-2013, 05:35 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

Are you wanting to add PDC's to a non PDC bumper? If so you need to consider how you will secure the sensor in the bumper. The OEM PDC bumper has the brackets welded to the bumper. You need this. You can't just glue them. Well, you can, but it will most likely fall off. The bumpers are made from PP and getting things to stick to it is quite difficult. As for you holes you need, I can think of a couple options. 1. is a drill and the correct size bit. Starting with a small bit and working up to the correct size. The problem with this is that it will probably leave a rough edge and I don't recall the sensor having a lip to hide this. 2. Locate a cutting punch of the size you need. When the supplier produces the bumper they will then punch the holes as needed for the PDC option before painting. This is done in a press that all holes at once. You might be able to locate or have something made to do one at a time. Your main problem will be keeping the holes clean and round. 3. maybe a metal template you can secure to the face and use a demmel tool. Perhaps this will be cleaner.

I still think your biggest problem will be how you secure the sensor to the bumper. Good luck and please post pics of your progress.
Old 05-27-2013, 05:47 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2006 530xi w m5 tech kit, 2007 Mercedes e63 AMG, 2005 ford expedition

Thank you tony. Thats exactly what I want to do. But I'm thinking it may not b worth it. I'm certainly not qualilufied to make a successful project out of that. So bumper may not b worth it. Cost effective wise anyways
Old 05-27-2013, 04:40 PM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

You would be better off securing a bumper with the PDC holes and brackets already in place. When I say brakets, they are on the inside but honestly I've not actually seen the e60 from this side with PDC. I am stepping out on a limb on this one. The X5 for sure has backets so I assume the E60 does as well. My E60 doesn't have PDC but our F10 does. I don't think I can see up inside there to tell if a bracket is there or not. If you simply drill holes then you would need a way to secure the sensor to the bumper. This bracket I'm referring to is not available for sale that I am aware of since they would come on the bumper.
Old 05-28-2013, 06:43 AM
New Members

My Ride: 535i XDrive M Sport Package
Model Year: 2011

If you decide to buy a bumper cover with pdc, note that some internet sellers of aftermarket bumper covers don't specify whether the bumper fits pre or post LCI. Pre-LCI pdc and post-LCI pdc sensors are different sizes.
Errowen
Old 06-03-2013, 06:13 AM
Members

My Ride: 09 550i 6sp M-Tech. 18mm spacers rear, 8mm front. Dinan intake and Stage 2 tune. Tinted tails, M5 OEM lip spoiler. 08 Z4 3.0si Black on Black with Beige top. Removable hardtop. (Hers) 06 Volvo S60R Heavily Modded!! Gone and missed.

Sensor attachment kits are available at the dealer. About 30 bucks. They can be epoxied in place.
Old 06-15-2013, 04:40 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2004 BMW 545i sport package with Mteck & M5 Rims Mpower

Originally Posted by Bigjule111
Thank you tony. Thats exactly what I want to do. But I'm thinking it may not b worth it. I'm certainly not qualilufied to make a successful project out of that. So bumper may not b worth it. Cost effective wise anyways
If you are interested in a bumper with senser I have both bumper for sale . I just took them of my bimmer . Let me know .
Old 06-15-2013, 06:32 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: Alpine E60, '09 535i-Premium, Sport and Comfort Access PackageMods: Lux H8 V3 Angel Eyes, Weisslicht LED license plate lights, Interior LED lights, RPI Scoop, Matte Black Grills, Smoked LED side markers & side reflectors, 35% tint all around, and a 3

Originally Posted by Bobbrown13
Sensor attachment kits are available at the dealer. About 30 bucks. They can be epoxied in place.
If you get the pdc holders from the dealer they already come with the double sided tape on it.
Old 06-15-2013, 09:23 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: E60
Model Year: 2005

Originally Posted by Bobbrown13
is there a part number to ask for, or what should we ask if we are in need of this kit?
Old 06-15-2013, 09:48 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: Alpine E60, '09 535i-Premium, Sport and Comfort Access PackageMods: Lux H8 V3 Angel Eyes, Weisslicht LED license plate lights, Interior LED lights, RPI Scoop, Matte Black Grills, Smoked LED side markers & side reflectors, 35% tint all around, and a 3

Originally Posted by Boost7
is there a part number to ask for, or what should we ask if we are in need of this kit?
If you have a LCI pdc this the part number 51112208723. This part number is for a set of four and it already has the adhesive tape on the mount.
Attached Thumbnails Drill out holes for pdc?-image.jpg  

Quick Reply: Drill out holes for pdc?