E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

DONT do resonator delete!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2010, 01:45 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So i will be the first to eat my own Shit and will take back my comments on loving my resonator delete. Over the last 2 weeks it consistently got worse and worse-- a terrible low awful drone and all speeds, with burbling on deceleration when the revs dropped, sounded so civicish it was awful and gave me a headache driving.

The worst part the performance of the car went to hell. The engine (n52 and most bimmers non FI) are designed for high RPM performance, well I deleted the resonator and put 2.5inch piping and it was too small I believe as my top end performance was just dead after 5500--where normally it is the strongest.

I went and got my resonator put back on. It was not just the resonator but I had gotten a y pipe to connect right after the cats and put 2.5 inch single pipe all the way to the RPi muffler. SO a long stretch of 2.5 inch single pipe--had all bad attributes.

With the resonator back on and just the RPI exhaust it sonds soooooo quiet in a good way with the normal RPI growl only when you get on it, instead of a annoying drone at all speeds.

Resonators are there for a reason I hate to admit. They are designed in odd shapes for a reason. Unlike mufflers, resonators are hemoltz resonators and actually have a function on exhaust gas expulsion and sound unlike a muffler which is not a hemol. resonator. The resonator is an open baffled chamber of varying shape and design-specific for each engine configuration. So to take it off is messing with something they specifically designed for that engine, in that part of the exhaust to properly control exhaust gas velocity etc.

Car is much more performance with it back on. I was a non-believer in a resonator delete could possibly effect performance-but i was wrong! NEVER do this.

150 bucks later (100 for the delete and 50 to put it back on ) I learend my lesson!
Old 09-24-2010, 02:22 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2011, E90 M3 Sedan. Alpine White.Competition package, Keyhole cover, fender reflectors in Alpine white, RPI Exhaust, 19

lol.. learning he hard way eh
Old 09-24-2010, 02:50 PM
Senior Members

What kind of car do you have?
I have a 545 and did a resonator and muffler delete and EVERYONE i know or run into says the thing sounds amazing. I 95% agree with them. The only problem i have with it, is when im slowly easing into the throttle at rpms around 1500-2000 it drones a little. Its still quite enough to be comfortable and to hear my 61 year old mother who speaks in a low calm voice, clearly. Maybe it was your design? I went with a 2.25inch and it splits to a Y pipe and then out to my tips.
Old 09-24-2010, 03:40 PM
Banned

YOu are saying you have ONE 2.25 inch pipe back from the 2nd cat convertor?

If so that explains why its quieter--but you are using WAY to small of a pipe if you have a single 2.5 inch pipe running back to your rear muffler. Maybe I am not getting what you say.

If you have dual 2.25 inch pipes all the way back that is another story.

I have a 07 530 so different engines obviously but I had 2.5 inch piping.

Maybe you or some like it, I hated the resonator delete. Lots of popping sounds too-not nice.

But if you are using 2.25 and stock is 3 inch-you are running way to small and smothering your engine.
Old 09-24-2010, 03:45 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 530i

I get the drone at 1500-2000 rpm and also when im on the freeway at 60-65mph, each time i press the gas i get that drone for that moment.

i hated it at first but now ive gotten use to it.
Old 09-24-2010, 04:49 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545I SMG

Since when did the E60 530 growl?????
Old 09-24-2010, 07:03 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 525i, 04 Dinan M3

I'm in the same boat man, only difference is I haven't gotten a chance to go back to stock. I hate the drone too after I removed the resonator.
Old 09-24-2010, 07:40 PM
Banned

Yes it really made me fall in love with the simple yet sweeet sounding RPI exhaust only. It was just not "bmw" without the resonator-did not sound refined enough. I actually though the rpi was droney but now after that experience the rpi sounds silent with no drone and just a nice note as you take up the RPm's shows you how much of an art designing an exhaust is. You have custom quads---not sure if yours sounded different than mine with resonator delete as that is a different setup but I would put it back on.

I bet you would notice a huge increase in power back if you went to a stock exhaust setup or RPI--the quads without a resonator is probably losing you 20hp
Old 09-24-2010, 09:09 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545I SMG

Howitzer's sounded pretty good, I wonder if he is getting drone.
Old 09-25-2010, 05:43 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by socale39
Howitzer's sounded pretty good, I wonder if he is getting drone.
he has a totally different engine so you cant compare-he has the old m54 with 225hp I believe on an 04 e60.

Quick Reply: DONT do resonator delete!!