E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Don't beat me.... Runflat question.

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2004, 01:44 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello fellow e-60'ers,

Greetings from the "RAQ" . First and foremost... I miss you guys!!! I've been away for awhile...I should be picking up my ride sometime in the next couple weeks upon my return to civilization . I've been reading the forum about some of the problems you are having with the runflats... and need some advice as to what ALL SEASON TIRE you guys would recommend as a changeout. I've contacted my dealer, and he said it wouldn't be a problem for me to change these tires for different ones. No real standout tire has been identified as of yet due to your different tastes and driving habits. My style of driving is about 50/50. Aggressive/ Cruising.
Options that I'm considering are:
1) Michelin Pilot Sport A/S
2) Pirelli Zero Nero M/S
3) Yokohoma db
4) Toyo Proxes 4

My priorities as to what tires to choose are:
1) Quite Ride/ Good Traction
2) Smooth Ride
3) Good Looks

I would have made it easier on you guys by starting a poll... but somewhat computer iliterate when it comes to those kinda things.

Thanks in advance. I know you guys are tired of the Runflat thing.
Old 12-26-2004, 01:57 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

I can't comment on all season tires since I never use them but you might should click here to go to the Tire Rack's "tire decision guide" which, once you enter your car information, will quiz you about your preferences and return some suggestions to you.

If the Tire Rack recommends something, believe them!
Old 12-26-2004, 02:12 PM
RAI
Members

Ditto on relying on the Tire Rack; they are first class. The Yoko AVS dbS2 is incredibly quiet- I can't imagine a quieter tire. Good looking too. The ride quality was a bit of a disappointment to me, though, 'cause I expected a much better ride than the OEM runflats and didn't think the Yokos delivered that. But, in all other respects, the Yokos are first rate. I can't say if the other tires you're looking at give a better ride than the Yokos, but, if not, I'd go with the Yokohamas. The Pirellis are well thought of, but I don't think they look very good at all.
Old 12-26-2004, 02:47 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545, Auto, Sport, L7, Pdc, Sunshades, Silver Gray/Black, 19x8.5/9.5 Monet Wheels, Michelin PS A/S Tires, Full M-KIt, B&B Exhaust, 20% Llumar Tint

I had many of the same concerns as you and ended up with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S (in 19") for my SoCal driving. And I love them...
Old 12-27-2004, 08:21 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 e60 M5 Replica Titanium Silver Premium Package Premium Sound Package Adaptive Xenon's Apple iPhone cell interactive pared with iDrive Bluetooth setting 19 inch BMW OEM 166M rims, Michelin tires Sprint Booster - V2 Fidelity / BMW Extended Warranty 7 year / 100,000 miles
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by RUTHLESS530' date='Dec 26 2004, 06:44 PM
Hello fellow e-60'ers,

? Greetings from the "RAQ" . First and foremost... I miss you guys!!! ? I've been away for awhile...I should be picking up my ride sometime in the next couple weeks upon my return to civilization . I've been reading the forum about some of the problems you are having with the runflats... and need some advice as to what ALL SEASON TIRE you guys would recommend as a changeout. I've contacted my dealer, and he said it wouldn't be a problem for me to change these tires for different ones. No real standout tire has been identified as of yet due to your different tastes and driving habits. My style of driving is about 50/50. Aggressive/ Cruising.
Options that I'm considering are:
1) Michelin Pilot Sport A/S
2) Pirelli Zero Nero M/S
3) Yokohoma db
4) Toyo Proxes 4

My priorities as to what tires to choose are:
1) Quite Ride/ Good Traction
2) Smooth Ride
3) Good Looks

I would have made it easier on you guys by starting a poll... but somewhat computer iliterate when it comes to those kinda things.

Thanks in advance. I know you guys are tired of the Runflat thing.
[snapback]72623[/snapback]
Hi I just purchase the 240/40/18 Toyo Proxes 4 and all I can say is after just two weeks they are doing well on my 04 530i, I hear No Road noise, and they do corner and handle well, compared to my BMW stock Continental's.

Do not feel too bad, almost every BMW owner wtih the "run flats", advised me to stay way from them, unless I wanted a stiff ride, so I chose the Proxes 4's instead at Kauffman Tire here in Atlanta GA for around: $750.00, (Total),

I am a BMW perfectionist, and I have not been sorry yet with the Proxes.

Hope this helps.

Prersley 348

Don't beat me.... Runflat question.-e._presley_2004_bmw_530i_022.jpg