E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Do I need max performance tires for this car?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2005, 03:46 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I need new tires, but am unsure what to get. I still have the dunlop runflats which probably should have been replaced a couple thousand miles ago.

At the upper end, I'm thinking about the Michelin PS2s or Goodyear F1 GS-D3s. But at a savings of $300-400, I might go with some toyo T1Rs, falken 451s, yoko es100s or maybe some fuzion ZRis.

Overall, I'm more concerned with performance rather than comfort or wear. With that said, the lower echelon tires, while not as sticky, may be just as suitable for my needs. In the beginning, I often found myself in the canyons and considered bringing the car to the track, but as of late, the car has been regulated to highway driving and cruising around town.

I'm assuming that any of these tires would be a step up from the dunlop runflats or am I wrong to assume that.

The e60 in question is a 545i 6spd with the sports package and the staggered 18" 124s.
Old 12-19-2005, 03:51 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: June 6th start build, complete June 17th, at NY Port July 5th, at dealer July 10th, took delivery Friday July 13- Plantimum Bronze/Natural Brown Leather/Light Poplar, Sport Package, Sport Auto, Active Steering, Premium Package, CWP & PDC. Dinan Performance Software 384hp & 421 ft/lbs.

Originally Posted by heezy545i' post='213397' date='Dec 19 2005, 07:46 PM
Well I need new tires, but am unsure what to get. I still have the dunlop runflats which probably should have been replaced a couple thousand miles ago.

At the upper end, I'm thinking about the Michelin PS2s or Goodyear F1 GS-D3s. But at a savings of $300-400, I might go with some toyo T1Rs, falken 451s, yoko es100s or maybe some fuzion ZRis.

Overall, I'm more concerned with performance rather than comfort or wear. With that said, the lower echelon tires, while not as sticky, may be just as suitable for my needs. In the beginning, I often found myself in the canyons and considered bringing the car to the track, but as of late, the car has been regulated to highway driving and cruising around town.

I'm assuming that any of these tires would be a step up from the dunlop runflats or am I wrong to assume that.

The e60 in question is a 545i 6spd with the sports package and the staggered 18" 124s.
I think that manufactures setup suspension, alignment and road feel for the OEM tires. Since the OEM's are performance tires and you are weighing you decision based upon that, you might do best to stick with them. If you are looking to change an aspect like softer ride, less noise, better mud and snow performance then the sky is the limit
Old 12-19-2005, 03:56 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Arrived 3 June 2005: 2005 545i - Orient Blue, Black interior, Sport, Steptronic, Cold Weather, NAV, Sirius, Logic7, Comfort Seats, Sunshades. What a glorious ride!

I think it would be a huge mistake to think that ANY of the replacement tires would be an improvement over the standard Dunlop RFTs. They are superb when new, and in my case at least have continued to be excellent at the 12,000 mile mark.
Old 12-19-2005, 04:04 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by pennetta' post='213399' date='Dec 19 2005, 04:51 PM
I think that manufactures setup suspension, alignment and road feel for the OEM tires. Since the OEM's are performance tires and you are weighing you decision based upon that, you might do best to stick with them. If you are looking to change an aspect like softer ride, less noise, better mud and snow performance then the sky is the limit
Snow and comfort are not really a concern to me. Also, I'd sacrifice wet performance for performance in the dry. Overall, I found the stock dunlops to be pretty decent in terms of comfort and handling.

The inner tread on the rear tires are pretty much worn, so I probably could have gotten free replacements, but at the time, less than 20K miles, I thought I might as well just upgrade to better tires. Not sure what I was really thinking, as I'm not really one to pass on a good bargain, nevertheless something free.

I was planning on getting the Toyo T1Rs previously, but the car and driver article from a month or two ago made me look around again.
Old 12-19-2005, 04:09 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: June 6th start build, complete June 17th, at NY Port July 5th, at dealer July 10th, took delivery Friday July 13- Plantimum Bronze/Natural Brown Leather/Light Poplar, Sport Package, Sport Auto, Active Steering, Premium Package, CWP & PDC. Dinan Performance Software 384hp & 421 ft/lbs.

If you can sacrifice wet performance and want maximum cornering buy slicks. In NY you just need two treads per tire to be legal.
Old 12-19-2005, 04:12 PM
Contributors

repost
Old 12-19-2005, 04:13 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

The Dunlop RF's have a bad repution because of the recall and because they are a bit stiffer than non-runflats but I must agree with MaxBuck that they are actually pretty incredible tires performance-wise.

I'm actually quite happy with them and even happier that the nice folks at BMW keep giving me new ones for free before they're even worn out!

Heezy, give the Tire Rack a call or visit their website. You can ask the expert what would be the best setup for what you're priorities are...
Old 12-19-2005, 04:16 PM
Contributors

Is tirerack the cheapest place for the PS2s?

If I go with some of the other brands, I'll probably get them at

www.onlinetires.com or
www.edgeracing.com

Yeah, I've always been pretty satisfied with the dunlops even though most people dislike them. Again, not sure why I passed on some free tires.
Old 12-19-2005, 04:38 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 545iS 6 spd, bought new via eBay, 11/05; Blk/Gry, Cold, L7, PDC, BMW Rear seatcover for pets. First "Bumwa" was a new 1971 2002. High performance 5s since 1987. Beamer motorcycles too, currently on an 07 BMW K1200 GT; also a Moto Guzzi 1000 SP III.

Yup, I think you need performance tires to be happy. I do NOT think you need runflats, as long as you have a donut. They are overly hard and are probabaly destroying our suspension and body integrity as we speak/drive.

You have correctly stated the high-end price bracket, (Michelin and Goodyear--be careful of Goodyear, and read the reviews) but I would urge you to look at second-tier manufacturers, such as Continental, and Dunlop non-RFs--both of which have been featuerd by BMW as OEM tires. I really liked the Dunlop SP 2000s that came on my 540iS; they were very tight handling, lasted about 25K miles and were extremely quiet. My only grouse with them was tricky wet handling (worthless in snow), and lack of supply in the US when I needed a new set. Because of that, I went with the early Michelin Pilots.

In short, I don't think you need to get down into the Asian ranks to save money, Tire Rack and Discount Tire Direct http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/home.do run specials on the mid-level brands and you can pick up deals (also try your local dealers).

Cheers,
Ray Hull
Old 12-19-2005, 04:51 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by heezy545i' post='213405
Snow and comfort are not really a concern to me. Also, I'd sacrifice wet performance for performance in the dry. Overall, I found the stock dunlops to be pretty decent in terms of comfort and handling.

The inner tread on the rear tires are pretty much worn, so I probably could have gotten free replacements, but at the time, less than 20K miles, I thought I might as well just upgrade to better tires. Not sure what I was really thinking, as I'm not really one to pass on a good bargain, nevertheless something free.

I was planning on getting the Toyo T1Rs previously, but the car and driver article from a month or two ago made me look around again.
[/quote]I would get some higher performance tires. All of those that you mention are a step up from the runflats performance-wise. Many of us have purchased PS2's--including me. Note that I like my RTFs fine enough. I just wanted larger/lighter wheels and lighter/higher-performance tires.

Quick Reply: Do I need max performance tires for this car?