E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

DIY Overload | Weekend Warrior

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 07:29 PM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: ///M5 BEAST
Model Year: 2006

i have a video and photo shoot in the final stages of planning so im working really hard this past weekend and a couple days this week to get my car ready for her on-camera close ups lol

if you want to see the back story of these DIY things im doing this weekend check out my M5 build project thread here: http://forums.5serie...3-operationv10/

Here are the things being done/in-progress this weekend:
  • StopTech Stainless Steel Brake Lines front & rear
  • Brake Fluid flush
  • Painting the front & rear brake calipers Corvette Velocity yellow and adding some custom decals along with a two-part clear coat
  • Installing my H&R Lowering Springs (front & rear)
all work is being done solo and in my personal garage. i tried painting the springs but i didnt like how they came out...tried both yellow and red plasti-dip but to no avail so i peeled it off and am installing them regular. the removal of the brake calipers and springs was pretty straight forward....just very time consuming. im currently waiting for my clear coat on the brakes to 100% dry before i re-install them along with the SS brake lines.

i found DIYs on this sight and on M5 board for most of the stuff im doing so thank you to you all for the help and info!

phase II nearly complete.....phase III will be the completion of my in-progress gloss black paint job of my second set of OEM 166 M5 wheels.

sidenote: this was my first time mixing two part paints & clear coats...the quality is top notch, ill never go back to using spray paint cans again after this wknd. time to buy a compressor and full set of guns...

on four jack stands + wood blocks:
DIY Overload | Weekend Warrior-garage-view.jpg

red springs before i took it off, one brake caliper w/ primer and one with a couple coats of yellow:
DIY Overload | Weekend Warrior-parts-bench.jpg

rear brake removal and stainless steel brake lines:
DIY Overload | Weekend Warrior-brakes-lines.jpg

Strut tower with the spring compressors doing their thing:
DIY Overload | Weekend Warrior-strut-tower.jpg

caliper before clear coat:
DIY Overload | Weekend Warrior-caliper-before-clear-coat.jpg

brake calipers after the decals and clear coat:
DIY Overload | Weekend Warrior-after-clear-coat.jpg
Old 03-25-2012, 07:37 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 bmw 535i black sapphire metallic w/ tan interior , sports package , premium package , parking sensor, shades,usb , HRE 20's, CKS C1's coilovers, rpi scoop, OEM M5 side mirrors,OEM Gloss black kidney grills, ACS roof spoiler, ACS Trunk spoiler, 15% madico tint all around.. NEXT UP: bodykit and quads ( installing soon) cobb

WOW! unbelievable skills Chris.... I would love to do this to my M5 calipers I just bought... What are the advantages of changing to SS brake lines? also did u paint the calipers with spray can??? I wanna try it hehehe... AMAZING JOB!!!
Old 03-25-2012, 07:37 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 bmw 535i black sapphire metallic w/ tan interior , sports package , premium package , parking sensor, shades,usb , HRE 20's, CKS C1's coilovers, rpi scoop, OEM M5 side mirrors,OEM Gloss black kidney grills, ACS roof spoiler, ACS Trunk spoiler, 15% madico tint all around.. NEXT UP: bodykit and quads ( installing soon) cobb

WOW! unbelievable skills Chris.... I would love to do this to my M5 calipers I just bought... What are the advantages of changing to SS brake lines? also did u paint the calipers with spray can??? I wanna try it hehehe... AMAZING JOB!!!
Old 03-25-2012, 07:42 PM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: ///M5 BEAST
Model Year: 2006

well a few people i know swear by their stainless steel brake lines....staying that they increase/harden pedal feel. also, since i knew i would have the system taken apart for this project i figured it was the perfect time to get-r done.

for the paint, yea i had that color custom mixed and put into cans for me....but the clear coat was me taking it to the next level. i wanted something body-shop quality so i actually bought a two part clear coat, mixed it and used a kit sprayer....im really happy w/ the results
Old 03-25-2012, 07:46 PM
Senior Members

Thats awesome! The paint job looks PRO!
Old 03-25-2012, 10:15 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: Bmw E60 530i 2004 Jet Black sport package on Linea Corse 19" Lc818 Saphire Black

Amazing ! Nice job , the calipers look very well done.. like a pro ! That's something that I need to do for sure to my calipers !

Can't wait to see the photos of your beautiful M5 after this operation V10 lol

Nice work ! Hope you can finish everything before the photoshoot
Old 03-25-2012, 11:15 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 07 530i Mystic Blue

Calipers looks awesome. When are you moving to SoCal? I'm sure you'll have demand for projects like this and the car wrapping service. Would be a cool weekend side job perhaps.

MFEST and Bimmerfest coming up soon
Old 03-26-2012, 12:40 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545 modded the F out

Nice man. I gotta get those S.T. lines too. I keep setting that aside. Can't wait till you take you're proper shoot. I've been reading some sporadic posts about you makin your way to Cali in the future. That would be dope bro.
Old 03-26-2012, 05:28 AM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 528
Model Year: 2009

Why do you have a spring compressor on the spring while the strut assembly is still in the car?
Old 03-26-2012, 05:44 AM
Senior Members

SS brake lines are one of the best mods I've ever done. Looks good, where did you get those decals?

Quick Reply: DIY Overload | Weekend Warrior