E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Dispute with dealer for M5 brakes

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2007, 01:25 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 545i SMG with Limited Slip Differential
Model Year: 2005

Yesterday I went there to order M5 brakes ... Ordered and they will arrive in a few days .

But he said he can't mount the brakes because they aren't original 545i brakes, thus we ordered the parts with the agreement that I will mount it by a generic machanic .
He also told me that for change of pads and rotors there won't be any problem .

I told him that if you don't want to mount them because they aren't my standard brakes, I'm sure that he don't want to replace neither "irregular" rotors and pads .

For now I will get parts there and after I don't know to go to mount them .

This morning I called BMW Italy-public relations office and I explained the situation : they said that if the parts are compatible and sold by BMW and mounted by a dealer, they will not have problems with warranty or other similar (if my engine will explode, for example) .

BMW Italy told me to write to they and do the claim for the dealer ...
This afternoon I will go to another dealer to asking if they could mount M5 brakes, telling them what BMW Italy said this morning .

Your opinion or advice ?
I get the parts by my dealer and do the claim for him ?
Old 01-09-2007, 01:51 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 525i : Alpine White, Steptronic, Black Interior with Amethyst Leather & Popular Grain Brown, 17" 122-Style Rims, Adaptive Bi-Xenon Headlights, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Advanced A/C, Sports Steering Wheel, Electrically Adjustable Steering Column, Extended Lighting Package, PDC, Sliding Armrest, Bus Navi, Hi-Fi Sound System (MP3 DVDs), CD Changer, Rear Sunshades.. MODS:M-tech front bumper, Painted Grill, Installed Aux-In, Garage Door Opener (Overhead Compartement), ///M Steering wheel, Wood hand brake trim, Wood gear-shift lever. 35% Tint all around.. Got, ACS Roof Spoiler, but not installed..

i think ur dealer is just affraid they wont fit and then he'll be in a small problem with you so he decided that once they are fit by somebody else and he will then know they fit he will be willing to change them...

looks to me that they are just affraid they wont be able to install them or they wont fit... and then he would be in a bad position...
perhaps if you talk to a manager, explain the situation, assure him that the brakes will fit, and you will take 100% resposibility if they dont, he will do the job for you....
Old 01-09-2007, 07:00 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by madoon' post='375634' date='Jan 9 2007, 11:51 AM
i think ur dealer is just affraid they wont fit and then he'll be in a small problem with you so he decided that once they are fit by somebody else and he will then know they fit he will be willing to change them...

looks to me that they are just affraid they wont be able to install them or they wont fit... and then he would be in a bad position...
perhaps if you talk to a manager, explain the situation, assure him that the brakes will fit, and you will take 100% resposibility if they dont, he will do the job for you....
Madoon, I have talked again with BMW : I have to write a letter asking to approve M5 brakes . And they perhaps will authorize me .
I have to writing <_<
Old 01-09-2007, 07:09 AM
Senior Members

Are you doing front and rear? What is the cost and how many hours of labor is involved? Thanks.
Old 01-09-2007, 07:59 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AlexFW' post='375735' date='Jan 9 2007, 06:00 PM
Madoon, I have talked again with BMW : I have to write a letter asking to approve M5 brakes . And they perhaps will authorize me .
I have to writing <_<
Did you pay for them? If not, when brakes will arrive, tell him "fit them on, otherwise I won't buy them"
Old 01-09-2007, 08:02 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jtp1947' post='375743' date='Jan 9 2007, 06:09 PM
Are you doing front and rear? What is the cost and how many hours of labor is involved? Thanks.
You better ask Tony, our forum member Quad_m. He is selling them at a very good price!!
Old 01-09-2007, 08:56 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by jtp1947' post='375743' date='Jan 9 2007, 05:09 PM
Only front . 2300+taxes = 2750 .. + 20% off .
1 hour
Old 01-09-2007, 08:59 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by nicke60gre' post='375757' date='Jan 9 2007, 05:59 PM
Did you pay for them? If not, when brakes will arrive, tell him "fit them on, otherwise I won't buy them"

As you know, the dealer has my 18" rims, my original mirros, my sideskirt and in a few days also standard rear bumper .. I will pay the difference .
Nick, I will mount them in some way and AFTER I will write to BMW to ask the authorization . If they don't approve, doesn't matter : I am not planning to do an ugly accident with problems with insurance etc.
Old 01-09-2007, 03:09 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 525i : Alpine White, Steptronic, Black Interior with Amethyst Leather & Popular Grain Brown, 17" 122-Style Rims, Adaptive Bi-Xenon Headlights, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Advanced A/C, Sports Steering Wheel, Electrically Adjustable Steering Column, Extended Lighting Package, PDC, Sliding Armrest, Bus Navi, Hi-Fi Sound System (MP3 DVDs), CD Changer, Rear Sunshades.. MODS:M-tech front bumper, Painted Grill, Installed Aux-In, Garage Door Opener (Overhead Compartement), ///M Steering wheel, Wood hand brake trim, Wood gear-shift lever. 35% Tint all around.. Got, ACS Roof Spoiler, but not installed..

if the dealer and bmw are worried about your insurance company, i dont think the company will mind you chaning your brakes.. just dont try not to tell them that you are putting a brake system that was not designed for your car.. tell them you will be upgrading your brake system to a better one... they should accept...
Old 01-10-2007, 03:27 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by madoon' post='375996' date='Jan 10 2007, 01:09 AM
if the dealer and bmw are worried about your insurance company, i dont think the company will mind you chaning your brakes.. just dont try not to tell them that you are putting a brake system that was not designed for your car.. tell them you will be upgrading your brake system to a better one... they should accept...
In my country if the car manufacterer (BMW, for example) approves the mod you can go to a public office that follow "cars regularity" and regolarize your mod with authorization of BMW .
And BMW told me by phone that it is possibile, thus I have only to write and wait ... But I think I will install in a few days the M5 brakes and only after I will write the letter .