E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Dinan vs Cobb?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2012, 05:43 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2009 535i xDrive; Black Sapphire Metallic; Premium, Cold Weather Packages, Navi, PDC, 20% Solargard Tint
Default Dinan vs Cobb?

So I think it's time for a tune and I would like to go via whatever is best for the longevity of the car, yet still increase the power substantially.

What draws me to Dinan is that there is significant support, warranty (which is also transferable!), and powerful.

If Dinan only costs 500 dollars more than Cobb/JB4, I think that's well worth it, I dont really care about a difference in 500 dollars here and there.

Any suggestions? I know a lot of you guys have similarly modded Dinan products (Coldlist), what did you guys think?

Thanks.
Old 12-29-2012, 06:12 AM
Members

You'll get nowhere near the performance out of the Dinan on a 535i, and the warranty is through Dinan now BMW. Your call, but I think Dinan is grossly overpriced for what you get! Both JB and Cobb are quality products that have been tested even more than Dinan with very little complaints. The JB has been the single best upgrade my 535i has seen!
Old 12-29-2012, 10:13 AM
Members

My Ride: 2009 535i xDrive; Black Sapphire Metallic; Premium, Cold Weather Packages, Navi, PDC, 20% Solargard Tint

What makes Cobb/JB4 a better tune than the Dinan one? Are there trade offs for doing it? I've heard great things about all three of them, the fundamental complaint w/the Dinan is the price, which I'm okay with if the "Dinan Warranty" at least keeps me somewhat protected (I'm at 60k now, I want to keep it until 100-150).

Thanks for the response.
Old 12-29-2012, 01:41 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dinan = performance sucks
Dinan = overpriced garbage
Dinan = ECU requires actual coding so if for any reason it is erased or needs to be erased, huge hassle getting the car recoded.

Conclusion = get a jb4 or cobb or vishnu.

As far as warranty issues, after installing/uninstalling it a few times I can install or uninstall mine in under 10minutes. There are also options to clear any codes stored on your vehicle so any hidden codes will be removed before taking your vehicle in for service.
Old 12-29-2012, 01:46 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: alpine white 535 E61
Model Year: 08

Originally Posted by Roy7
if the "Dinan Warranty" at least keeps me somewhat protected (I'm at 60k now, I want to keep it until 100-150).

Thanks for the response.
DINAN only covers the oem stock warranty , cpo= sol.
Old 12-29-2012, 02:09 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

cobb or ess hand held flash and a scanner to clear codes, cheaper/better investment than dinan..

or do the cobb and ess hand helds clear codes also? of that's the case, even more to support no going with dinan...
Old 12-29-2012, 04:29 PM
Senior Members

Jb4 also comes with the ability to clear codes, very useful.
Old 12-30-2012, 03:22 PM
Members

Cobb and JB4 PNP both can clear codes. The dynos show that the Dinan is only good for about half the power of the Cobb/JB4 (i.e. very conservative). To put it in perspective, a maxed out JB+ will dyno slightly better than the Dinan tune! I've seen used JB+'s on E90Post and N54tech going with the BMS CAN tool (clears codes) for $150 shipped! The Cobb/JB4 will be too close to each other on a stock car to call.
Old 12-31-2012, 11:22 AM
Members

For JB+ versus JB4, just based on what everyone is saying, it seems that JB4 would be considerably more powerful but have the associated decreases in gas mileage, longevity, etc. Would JB+ be a happy medium?
Old 12-31-2012, 03:33 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

Originally Posted by Roy7
For JB+ versus JB4, just based on what everyone is saying, it seems that JB4 would be considerably more powerful but have the associated decreases in gas mileage, longevity, etc. Would JB+ be a happy medium?
I was the initial tester for the jb+ on the 535i, IMO it was the perfect compromise for a slight bump in power without having to go into the ecu (really not that hard to do, just a bit of a hassle IMO), especially for me where my 535i was more of a DD than "race car"

The jb4 obviously has more versatility with all it's different maps...so it's really comes down to what you want...but I think we are all in agreement when we say there are far better "bang for your buck" tunes besides Dinan...

Quick Reply: Dinan vs Cobb?