E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Dinan Throttle Body for 530Xi

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 10:43 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

I'm looking at Dinan high-flow throttle bodies for my car. There are two - a Dinan replacement one that increases the flow by 9% and a bored stock one that increases the flow by 8%. Since there's not that much difference in flow, I'll likely go for the bored stock one, since its half the money (399 v 799).

Does NE1 here have either of these installed on a 530? Does it really improve the performance? Any issues with it? How much was it to put on and all the info generally will be appreciated.
Old 08-07-2009, 12:15 AM
Contributors

Actually, this is what I'll probably be getting, unless I find a better option by another company.

It says here that I can gain about 5HP and 4lb-ft - both @6500 rpm, but that's probably not across the range. Anyone know of a better option?
Old 08-07-2009, 12:50 AM
Contributors

Another thing: does RPi make a bored throttle body for a 530? and I think also there is an EFI throttle body out there - NE1 know the diff in performance/reliability? I'm attracted to Dinan so much bc I know their parts won't cause error etc., but if there are other options...
Old 08-07-2009, 06:28 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: MY07 525xi Silver Gray
Model Year: 2007

I got that Dinan HFTB ... its nothin' special ... seems to work better w/ wide open throttle so not much different otherwise ... but every little bit should help ... I got it when Dinan had rebate special back in April, as you said I've been lookin' for somethin' similar but I only found Dinan.

There is actually only one kind for your car which is the 2nd part (p/n #D760-3700) the other is for the older model (diff. engine) if you notice the model year on that link and you still have to pay $724 up front and when you return your OEM throttle body part to them they refund you $325 while the older model don't have refundable core exchange offer.

I did my own install so not sure how much it'll cost to put it on. My hope is with this + RPi scoop and RPi/Powerchip ECU flash (maybe RPi exhaust too ) sometime later will add up.

Here's the pic of both of them during my install, left is stock off from my car & right is Dinan & you can see the difference:
Dinan Throttle Body for 530Xi-img_0403.jpg
Old 08-08-2009, 08:23 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by BlaSTiWi' post='968432' date='Aug 7 2009, 10:28 AM
...seems to work better w/ wide open throttle so not much different otherwise
I did my own install so not sure how much it'll cost to put it on. My hope is with this + RPi scoop and RPi/Powerchip ECU flash (maybe RPi exhaust too ) sometime later will add up...
I have the SB helping me in the lower end, but I need higher flow of air. I'll be doing other mods to improve performance at the higher end of the rpm range, so this should work just fine for me.

Was it hard to install? I'm not an experienced mechanic, but I do as much as I can myself - you think it is safe to DIY this for someone like me? I can do the basic mech stuff and I've done almost all of my exterior mods myself FYI.
Old 08-08-2009, 12:34 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 2012 E70 AW X5 50i Sport w/ LCI Aero Kit and Rocker Panels

Originally Posted by v_therussian' post='969528' date='Aug 8 2009, 12:23 PM
I have the SB helping me in the lower end
The SB isn't helping you in the lower end. I wish it did that though. Well, at least it feels like it's doing something.
Old 08-08-2009, 04:44 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

SB is doing nothing except making you have to use your foot a little less-more signal for less push of the foot.

Dont waste your money with the throttle body-the throttle body is not the limiting factor here-stock is plenty big, especially since it stays open at ALL times-flow of air is fine-its not like a scoop from RPI that is 100 bucks-800 bucks is a total waste. The scoop makes sense since it channels air into the existing pipes-but the throttle stock has plenty of room for flow-so even with some increase flow from the scoop, the stock throttle body has plenty of room to accoomdated that-honestly save your money-

Spend money on lighter wheels/tires if you want increased acceleration-it will do much more for you
Old 08-08-2009, 05:02 PM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

Originally Posted by v_therussian' post='968293' date='Aug 7 2009, 02:43 AM
I'm looking at Dinan high-flow throttle bodies for my car. There are two - a Dinan replacement one that increases the flow by 9% and a bored stock one that increases the flow by 8%. Since there's not that much difference in flow, I'll likely go for the bored stock one, since its half the money (399 v 799).

Does NE1 here have either of these installed on a 530? Does it really improve the performance? Any issues with it? How much was it to put on and all the info generally will be appreciated.
Vlad, are you getting RPI scoop and RPI exhaust?
Old 08-08-2009, 05:09 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

I have to agree with Diamond here, Vlad, that's a lot of cash for 9% gain in airflow. You can get the same gain in HP and torque by getting the RPI scoop and filter of your choice - for 1/4 the price. Better to save the $$$ for other mods - like an ECU remap.
Old 08-08-2009, 05:35 PM
Contributors

Guys, does everyone here understand that every horse counts?

And Scott, I am evaluating different things for now. Definitely hard to argue with the scoop - you gain 4-5 horses - that's dyno proven, so that's a no-brainer. Exhaust is another story - have to consider the sonic attributes as well...

And I know what the SB does, but it did improve the low end pick up in lower gears in my case IRL as it actually speeds up the opening of the throttle, due to it's amplification qualities, which results in snappier take offs. And maybe it's just my clutch, but I feel it now grabs sooner, so that's just an added benefit. All on all, SB is one helluva arguement FOR drive-by-wire gas pedals

Quick Reply: Dinan Throttle Body for 530Xi