E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Dinan stage I or II upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 05:39 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

Does anyone have any experience or knowledge with the Dinan software upgrade for the 2008 535 LCI...? I have been reviewing their site and actually spoke to the Dinan installer near me. Of course they are pushing it, but is it REALLY worth this cost...? Does anyone know of another software upgrade that would be a good comparison? Safe?
Old 01-30-2011, 09:24 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tonyb635
Does anyone have any experience or knowledge with the Dinan software upgrade for the 2008 535 LCI...? I have been reviewing their site and actually spoke to the Dinan installer near me. Of course they are pushing it, but is it REALLY worth this cost...? Does anyone know of another software upgrade that would be a good comparison? Safe?
I am wondering the same thing... I have purchased a 2008 550i with Dinan's cold air intake, throttle body and exhaust, but no software upgrade. Does the software upgrade make that significance of a difference??
Old 01-30-2011, 10:10 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60 M5, F85 X5M

Software upgrades will make a bigger difference on a forced induction car like the 535 than an NA car like the 550. To TonyB635, search for threads by member Penetta as he used to have the Dinan tune on his 535. There are a lot of other tunes for your car though so do more research before deciding.

To mybmws, you won't feel that big of a difference in power for your car cause I believe it'll only add maybe 6-10hp but like all other aftermarket software, you'll also get the benefit of faster throttle response, increase rev limit, and speed limiter removal. And since you have all their other mods already, the software should maximize the potentials of those components. Search for threads by member Roleez who used to have all those Dinan mods on his 550.
Old 01-30-2011, 12:05 PM
Members

Originally Posted by EuroCarFan
Software upgrades will make a bigger difference on a forced induction car like the 535 than an NA car like the 550. To TonyB635, search for threads by member Penetta as he used to have the Dinan tune on his 535. There are a lot of other tunes for your car though so do more research before deciding.

To mybmws, you won't feel that big of a difference in power for your car cause I believe it'll only add maybe 6-10hp but like all other aftermarket software, you'll also get the benefit of faster throttle response, increase rev limit, and speed limiter removal. And since you have all their other mods already, the software should maximize the potentials of those components. Search for threads by member Roleez who used to have all those Dinan mods on his 550.
Thanks EuroCarFan! Your reply was most helpful!
Old 01-30-2011, 12:29 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Car

tonyb635 I have a stage 2 Dinan flash and absolutely love it. This is the way the car should have been released from BMW. There are other companies offering services or piggy back modules that can be removed, but with Dinan you pay more for peace of mind. Dinan will match your BMW factory warranty whereas others will not.
Old 01-30-2011, 04:44 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 530xi: Sport, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, HD Radio, SAT, Custom NCS coded options 2008 535xi: Sport, Night Vision, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, SAT, Custom NCS coded options, Rear Seat Heat Retrofit, Passport 9500ci
Model Year: 2008
Engine: N54

I'm going to give the Procede a try from Vishnu:

http://procedetuning.com/BMW/n54/n54.html

Also here is a great summary chart of options for tunes:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=374508
Old 01-30-2011, 07:32 PM
jmk
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 535i

Originally Posted by corey
tonyb635 I have a stage 2 Dinan flash and absolutely love it. This is the way the car should have been released from BMW. There are other companies offering services or piggy back modules that can be removed, but with Dinan you pay more for peace of mind. Dinan will match your BMW factory warranty whereas others will not.
After the initial lead foot stage, how did the tune affect your MPGs for daily driving?
Old 01-30-2011, 07:46 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

For the N54 engine, some options are:

Piggybacks for the ECU: JB3 (JB4 should be released soon if not already), Procede (Vishnu),
Piggybacks for the TMAP sensor: SSTT-I and SSTT-II and/or JB+

ECU Flashes: GIAC, ESS, and Dinan

***I'm sure there are more options out there, but these are the most popular

all have been discussed here as a bit more often on e90posts and n54tech.com.
Old 01-31-2011, 04:58 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Car

Originally Posted by jmk
After the initial lead foot stage, how did the tune affect your MPGs for daily driving?
Didn't really affect it all that much. Around 21mpg in the winter and 22-23mpg in the other seasons.
Old 01-31-2011, 10:29 AM
Members

Originally Posted by corey
Didn't really affect it all that much. Around 21mpg in the winter and 22-23mpg in the other seasons.
what are your numbers with the stage II and what was the approx. cost???

Quick Reply: Dinan stage I or II upgrades