E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Dinan Stage 1 Engine Software

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2009, 04:43 AM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ynottony' post='822817' date='Mar 21 2009, 01:56 AM
It adds a lot more for the 535i
This is true but he has a 545i and the SB is amazing for the 545i because the max torque range is a lot higher than that of the 535i
Old 03-21-2009, 05:47 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by ynottony' post='822731' date='Mar 20 2009, 11:33 PM
Another point to consider....

Out here in California, if you install
ANYTHING dinan on your car (at the dealer), the
car goes into a BMW database.

If you plan on trading in your car it cannot be certified
as a CPO BMW.

I was told that this could take off upwards of 2-3k for
trade-in value of the car.

That fact alone has made me seriously reconsider getting
even a dinan exhaust. I plan on trading my car in 1-2 years
and don't want to lose 2-3k in trade in value because BMW
is so prejudiced against dinan when it comes to CPO.

I bought my car as a CPO so no issues there but that sucks if you just want an exhaust. The Dinan exhaust is great. I would ask them to not plug your car into the system or buy the exhaust and have a muffler shop put it in.

I can see BMW not wanting to CPO turbo cars that have been modified. Cranking up the turbos for 30% more power has to effect overall engine life.
Old 03-21-2009, 06:11 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mhs525' post='822902' date='Mar 21 2009, 09:47 AM
I bought my car as a CPO so no issues there but that sucks if you just want an exhaust. The Dinan exhaust is great. I would ask them to not plug your car into the system or buy the exhaust and have a muffler shop put it in.

I can see BMW not wanting to CPO turbo cars that have been modified. Cranking up the turbos for 30% more power has to effect overall engine life.

I bought my car as a CPO as well. Are you saying that they can't CPO a car twice?

I made an appointment to have the S2 software installed today, but am chicken-ing
out because of the fact that if I decide to trade it in at a future date, I could be losing
3k of trade-in value. That's a lot of money (not really, but considering the circumstances, it is).

I would go the Proceed route, but don't want to hassle with the potential of CEL's or the car
automatically going into limp mode. Taking care of CEL's on a turbocharged honda civic
is probably 100x easier than having to deal with the draconian ecu that lies under the hood
of my e60.
Old 03-21-2009, 07:46 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E60 M5, F85 X5M

I'm curious what the OP meant by "uninstalled"? How can you purchase the software "uninstalled"? Sorry if it's some obvious answer, I had a bit too much to drink last night. haha

BTW, a few years ago when I had the full Dinan performance package done to my 545, I talked to my guy at Dinan HQ and they said that they work hand in hand with BMW dealers to certify cars for CPO to match the BMW CPO with their own warranty. I didn't get too much details besides that so maybe you guys can look into it.
Old 03-21-2009, 08:04 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 BMW M5

Originally Posted by EuroCarFan' post='822952' date='Mar 21 2009, 09:46 AM
I'm curious what the OP meant by "uninstalled"? How can you purchase the software "uninstalled"? Sorry if it's some obvious answer, I had a bit too much to drink last night. haha

BTW, a few years ago when I had the full Dinan performance package done to my 545, I talked to my guy at Dinan HQ and they said that they work hand in hand with BMW dealers to certify cars for CPO to match the BMW CPO with their own warranty. I didn't get too much details besides that so maybe you guys can look into it.

The guy is in Canada as me, I am not sure it works with CSPP (Canadian CPO). Mine is pretty out of warranty (132.000 km and counting! ) lol and is a perfect candidate to be a Guinea Piggy.
Old 03-21-2009, 02:26 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by ynottony' post='822916' date='Mar 21 2009, 10:11 AM
I bought my car as a CPO as well. Are you saying that they can't CPO a car twice?

I made an appointment to have the S2 software installed today, but am chicken-ing
out because of the fact that if I decide to trade it in at a future date, I could be losing
3k of trade-in value. That's a lot of money (not really, but considering the circumstances, it is).

I would go the Proceed route, but don't want to hassle with the potential of CEL's or the car
automatically going into limp mode. Taking care of CEL's on a turbocharged honda civic
is probably 100x easier than having to deal with the draconian ecu that lies under the hood
of my e60.
The other poster said BMW will not CPO a car that has been Dinan modified. This assumes the car in question is under the original 4 yr 50k warranty. So if you have a car under the original warranty and you want trade it the dealer may give you less in trade because the dealer can't CPO the car, a major selling point of used BMW's.

Once you have CPO car like we do the CPO cannot be voided because you added to the Dinan software. Once certified the car is covered 6 years from in service date or 100k miles which ever comes first. The CPO stays with the car, as long as new owners transfer it within 30 days. A car is only certified once in its life. BMW won't certify it again to say 150k miles. After 100k miles they want you to buy another car

As a matter of fact I had an 06 M3 that I bought new. I had a Dinan suspension, Borla exhaust and more. I traded it due to back problems. The dealer de-modded the car, installed all the factory parts and sold the car as a CPO car...

I think you are taking a much bigger risk letting any other company mess with your car software or ECU. Dinan stands behind their stuff and have access to BMW information and software codes that no other tuner has.

You might take a $3k hit on a 535i that you bought new and tuned but I doubt you are going to take a $3k hit on a 545i with 70k miles or whatever it has when you trade it. A dealer taking back a CPO car that has high miles is just going to wholesale that car. It all depends, what car, how old, how many miles, already CPO or not...
Old 03-21-2009, 02:38 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by mhs525' post='823207' date='Mar 21 2009, 05:26 PM
The other poster said BMW will not CPO a car that has been Dinan modified. This assumes the car in question is under the original 4 yr 50k warranty. So if you have a car under the original warranty and you want trade it the dealer may give you less in trade because the dealer can't CPO the car, a major selling point of used BMW's.

Once you have CPO car like we do the CPO cannot be voided because you added to the Dinan software. Once certified the car is covered 6 years from in service date or 100k miles which ever comes first. The CPO stays with the car, as long as new owners transfer it within 30 days. A car is only certified once in its life. BMW won't certify it again to say 150k miles. After 100k miles they want you to buy another car

As a matter of fact I had an 06 M3 that I bought new. I had a Dinan suspension, Borla exhaust and more. I traded it due to back problems. The dealer de-modded the car, installed all the factory parts and sold the car as a CPO car...

I think you are taking a much bigger risk letting any other company mess with your car software or ECU. Dinan stands behind their stuff and have access to BMW information and software codes that no other tuner has.

You might take a $3k hit on a 535i that you bought new and tuned but I doubt you are going to take a $3k hit on a 545i with 70k miles or whatever it has when you trade it. A dealer taking back a CPO car that has high miles is just going to wholesale that car. It all depends, what car, how old, how many miles, already CPO or not...
Wow, nice write up !

So pretty much if I sell the car right now, I will take a 2-3k hit with Dinan software etc.

But if I keep the car to 50-75k miles, even if the car did not have Dinan on it, it would not
be able to be re-CPO'ed?

I think I get your point.....

Also, the dealer I spoke with told me that he can start me off at the Stage 1 and if I don't like it,
he will allow me to pay the $600 difference and he will make it a Stage 2.
Old 03-21-2009, 03:32 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by ynottony' post='823217' date='Mar 21 2009, 03:38 PM
Also, the dealer I spoke with told me that he can start me off at the Stage 1 and if I don't like it,
he will allow me to pay the $600 difference and he will make it a Stage 2.
This sounds weird. The Stage 2 is to be used with their intake and Stage 3 is with intake and throttle body. The difference is probably due to more increased airflow from those two mods. I don't know if you can or should put Stage 2 software on if you don't have the intake or it may not feel any different.
Old 03-21-2009, 03:59 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by EuroCarFan' post='823258' date='Mar 21 2009, 06:32 PM
This sounds weird. The Stage 2 is to be used with their intake and Stage 3 is with intake and throttle body. The difference is probably due to more increased airflow from those two mods. I don't know if you can or should put Stage 2 software on if you don't have the intake or it may not feel any different.
There's an intake available for the 535i?

I didn't see it on dinan's site.
Old 03-21-2009, 05:08 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by ynottony' post='823282' date='Mar 21 2009, 04:59 PM
There's an intake available for the 535i?

I didn't see it on dinan's site.
Oops, sorry, I confused you with the original poster who has a 545.

Quick Reply: Dinan Stage 1 Engine Software