E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Dinan Software 535is, First Impressions

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 11:41 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: June 6th start build, complete June 17th, at NY Port July 5th, at dealer July 10th, took delivery Friday July 13- Plantimum Bronze/Natural Brown Leather/Light Poplar, Sport Package, Sport Auto, Active Steering, Premium Package, CWP & PDC. Dinan Performance Software 384hp & 421 ft/lbs.

Originally Posted by CWS530' post='522315' date='Jan 24 2008, 01:04 PM
Hey, great report. Even though I'm not a modder, I like to hear what you guys are up to. The comment about the car becoming "darty" I thought was particularly relevant to those considering such an upgrade. Having driven (not necessarily owned) various high performance sports cars over the years, I know exactly what you mean. In some ways, it almost seems better to use the term "thrust" instead of "acceleration," it's so pronounced. Obviously, loads of fun, but does make the vehicle a bit less suited for the casual commute. Glad to hear you're already liking it.
I am not really a modder, but it being only a software download and maintaining the 4yr/50k mile warranty was the catalyst.
Old 01-24-2008, 11:42 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i: June 6th start build, complete June 17th, at NY Port July 5th, at dealer July 10th, took delivery Friday July 13- Plantimum Bronze/Natural Brown Leather/Light Poplar, Sport Package, Sport Auto, Active Steering, Premium Package, CWP & PDC. Dinan Performance Software 384hp & 421 ft/lbs.

Originally Posted by ITNurse' post='522290' date='Jan 24 2008, 12:04 PM
Awesome! Keep updating . So i'm guessing you won't be buying a Sprint Booster??

IT
I like your Avatar!
Old 01-24-2008, 11:48 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 08 535i, Platinum Gray, Sport Pkg

Originally Posted by pennetta' post='522381' date='Jan 24 2008, 12:42 PM
I like your Avatar!
Thanks! Of course it reminded me of yours when I saw it.
Old 01-24-2008, 12:01 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535xi- Alpine White, Natural Brown Interior, Sport Pack, Premium Pack, Comfort Access, 20 way Multi-contor seats, Navigation, 18" rims, Cold Weather Pack

Originally Posted by pennetta' post='522270' date='Jan 24 2008, 10:52 AM
The Vishnu/Procede was the first to the market about 9 months ago, its performance gains are about the same as the Dinan about 85hp and 120 ft lbs at the crank. I waitied for the Dinan because they have a relationship with BMWNA which maintains the 4yr/50k mi warranty.
aside from the warranty factors would you consider the dinan chip better than the vishnu, or was your decision solely based on the warranty issue? I was going to wait on the chip but your write up got me all worked up and excited to get it done now, the only question i have is like everyone else how would the normal driving be with a wife or kids in the car? good luck and enjoy
Old 01-24-2008, 03:19 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by vrondados' post='522394' date='Jan 24 2008, 04:01 PM
aside from the warranty factors would you consider the dinan chip better than the vishnu, or was your decision solely based on the warranty issue? I was going to wait on the chip but your write up got me all worked up and excited to get it done now, the only question i have is like everyone else how would the normal driving be with a wife or kids in the car? good luck and enjoy
Vishnu is a piggy back system in that it physically attaches to the stock ECU. It intercepts signals from the engine and interprets those signals and then interjects instructions back to the engine management components. The original BMW software is still there, it's just one further step away from the control system. The Vishnu unit is now in between. Vishnu made a name for itself tuning Subaru WRX's and Mitsubishi Evo's. They are recently modifying BMW's.

Dinan has a long history with BMW and has been tuning BMW for many years. Dinan software replaces the BMW OEM software so it is a more efficient system in that it now is making all of the engine management decisions. It's not interpreting anything in a stop-gap capacity. Dinan also increases the performance of the coolant pump, which is now electric in the e60, to provide an additional measure to control the increased heat load. BMW is also involved in Dinan's research and development process and has a say to what is actually changed.

So the warranty was not the only reason, but I would not have done anything that would have voided it when my car only has 5,500 miles on it.

It's no way near uncontrollable, sorry if I gave that impression. It is very civilized but just a lot faster so I guess I have muscle memory and set expectations on how the car reacts from the stock 535, and it now is acting differently so I need to readjust.
By the way, your kid's will love it too!
Old 01-24-2008, 03:43 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 535i, Carbon Black, Black Dakota, Black Diamond Trim, 6sp Sport Automatic with Paddles, M-Sport Package, Premium Package

Thanks for the informative opinions Pennetta! I am enjoying hearing about your experiences. This mod is definitely on my wish list.
Old 01-27-2008, 09:11 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i, 6spd mtx, Monaco Blue w/Beige interior. Sport, Preimum, Logic 7/HD/I-Pod/USB, Nav sys, rear sunshade, HUD, PDC, Split seats,

P - great write up! I was recently asking my BMW dealer about the Dinan software upgrade as well. They are an authorized Dinan dealer and charge $2K for the mod. Couple of things of note, the Dinan software does not come on a handheld tuner (SCT XCalibrator, Diablo Predator, etc.) and actually overwrites your stock software - so you can't take your car back to stock. Of course, being covered under warranty probably makes that a moot point. If there is ever an issue with the engine management portion of the software or a required BMW update to the engine management software then you would need to also have the Dinan software re-installed...which they will do but you will have to pay between $100 - $150 for the Dinan "reflash". Once you purchase the Dinan software, you never have to repurchase it again. I'm about ready to have it done. While it's in for the Dinan update, I'm going to have them install the UUC short-throw shift linkage...also will see if they will install the Zurchasien (sp?) CDV valve as well (not sure they will do that but he said he would check).

Can't wait and be sure and post more of your driving impressions on the new software
Old 01-27-2008, 10:13 AM
Contributors

Im itchin for a meet and greet sometime real soon. Seems there are some new kids wanting admission to the LI E60 sandbox. Calton, how about a mid week night time meet somewhere lit up??? If we can just wait til April, I'll be more equipped. I only mention you because you're quite good at the arrangements and organization of such an event. Hope all's well by the way. Pennetta, nice feedback on this mod. Cant wait to see your car in person. Any other mods in the works? Wheels? Anything?

All the best
Old 01-27-2008, 10:39 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by HotLap' post='523456' date='Jan 27 2008, 01:11 PM
P - great write up! I was recently asking my BMW dealer about the Dinan software upgrade as well. They are an authorized Dinan dealer and charge $2K for the mod. Couple of things of note, the Dinan software does not come on a handheld tuner (SCT XCalibrator, Diablo Predator, etc.) and actually overwrites your stock software - so you can't take your car back to stock. Of course, being covered under warranty probably makes that a moot point. If there is ever an issue with the engine management portion of the software or a required BMW update to the engine management software then you would need to also have the Dinan software re-installed...which they will do but you will have to pay between $100 - $150 for the Dinan "reflash". Once you purchase the Dinan software, you never have to repurchase it again. I'm about ready to have it done. While it's in for the Dinan update, I'm going to have them install the UUC short-throw shift linkage...also will see if they will install the Zurchasien (sp?) CDV valve as well (not sure they will do that but he said he would check).

Can't wait and be sure and post more of your driving impressions on the new software
I can't see them charging for a re-flash, but Dinan says after more testing they should be getting 400hp/450 ft lbs. So maybe a re-flash to a new version might be in the future. I am not planning any more upgrades this one was one I was waiting for since I took delivery,
Old 01-27-2008, 11:57 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2011 E92 335i M-Sport 6MT

Originally Posted by HotLap' post='523456' date='Jan 27 2008, 10:11 AM
If there is ever an issue with the engine management portion of the software or a required BMW update to the engine management software then you would need to also have the Dinan software re-installed...which they will do but you will have to pay between $100 - $150 for the Dinan "reflash".
Steve Dinan himself told me that reflashes of any Dinan software are always free of charge whenever a BMW iDrive/Progman update is installed, thus deleting the Dinan software. Once the Dinan program is erased, the car does return back to factory settings and is quite noticeable, especially in terms of throttle response (or lack of response, to be more accurate).

Quick Reply: Dinan Software 535is, First Impressions