E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Dinan CAI Installed

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2008 | 09:01 PM
Senior Members

Finally got my Dinan CAI installed today.
Here are some pics, before and after.
Before, with the same ol', same ol' in take (still need to give her a wash)
Dinan CAI Installed-old_air_intake1.jpgDinan CAI Installed-old_air_intake2.jpg
Here is the new and improved CAI, I didn't know that it had that carbon fiber (CF) tube that went all the way across and back down /boggle
But it sounds pretty kewl when you give her some gas
Dinan CAI Installed-dinan_intake.jpgDinan CAI Installed-dinan_air_tube.jpg

Hope these turn out, I may have loaded the images wrong
Old 05-13-2008 | 09:09 PM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F13 M6

nice. how does it feel?
Old 05-13-2008 | 09:15 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Audi_Eatter' post='579992' date='May 13 2008, 10:01 PM
Finally got my Dinan CAI installed today.
Here are some pics, before and after.
Before, with the same ol', same ol' in take (still need to give her a wash)
Attachment 50486Attachment 50487
Here is the new and improved CAI, I didn't know that it had that carbon fiber (CF) tube that went all the way across and back down /boggle
But it sounds pretty kewl when you give her some gas
Attachment 50488Attachment 50489

Hope these turn out, I may have loaded the images wrong
Nice but i'm not exactly sure just how much better the dinan's CAI is from the stock's... I mean they're a box replaced with a box... Unless I see something like a spinning fan or an air cooling machine stuck beside the box that will give the extra boost, I'm a bit skeptic about this mod. But hey that's just me!
Old 05-13-2008 | 09:16 PM
Senior Members

I don't know if there are any CAI's that have spinning fans and what not.

I do know that the new pipe coming from the box across the engine that goes down below does get colder air from out of the engine compartment.
I think that is the point of the CAI. To get colder (more dense air into your engine for combustion??)
It's definatly alot different then the standard intake box that came with the car.

But I don't think it's as aggresive as an AFE brand or others for that matter with a hose and a filter at the end of it
Old 05-14-2008 | 02:56 AM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

If the Dinan CAI is going below to get more cold air it is actually better than the AFE intake. Every CAI I've had has been a longer tube that has a cone filter mounted bellow the bumper out of the engine bay. With those CAI's I saw very noticeable gains and many of you have stated you don't notice much of a difference when you've installed the AFE intake.

I never understood the point of the short intake because the whole point is to get colder air into the engine. The AFE gets its air from the HOT engine bay since the filter is exposed up top. It kind of defeats the whole purpose of the mod. The one thing that the AFE has going for it is the nice extra sound you would get from under the hood.

So as far as the AFE being more agressive...that is not entirely true. The proof would be in a dyno and I bet the Dinan would win if it is setup the way it looks with the filter across and out of the engine bay.
Old 05-14-2008 | 03:42 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: N62

Looks great! I just can't justify spending a grand on an intake. I could pick up more power with an ECU Re-Flash for less money.
Old 05-14-2008 | 04:24 AM
AlB
Senior Members

Originally Posted by providenceleaf' post='580121' date='May 14 2008, 06:56 AM
If the Dinan CAI is going below to get more cold air it is actually better than the AFE intake. Every CAI I've had has been a longer tube that has a cone filter mounted bellow the bumper out of the engine bay. With those CAI's I saw very noticeable gains and many of you have stated you don't notice much of a difference when you've installed the AFE intake.

I never understood the point of the short intake because the whole point is to get colder air into the engine. The AFE gets its air from the HOT engine bay since the filter is exposed up top. It kind of defeats the whole purpose of the mod. The one thing that the AFE has going for it is the nice extra sound you would get from under the hood.

So as far as the AFE being more agressive...that is not entirely true. The proof would be in a dyno and I bet the Dinan would win if it is setup the way it looks with the filter across and out of the engine bay.
+1 except

I believe it would be difficult for a dyno to pick up the results from the installation of a CAI regardless of brand, but especially one like the AFE which is exposed to hot air induction from the engine bay. If you think about it, the simple fans they place in front of the grill when on the dyno can no way replicate the car being driven at 0-120 mph regarding the ingestion or ram effect of the air.

that said, I find no fault with the way anyone spends their money, it's a personal thing.
Old 05-14-2008 | 05:13 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW 545iA Black Sapphire
Model Year: 2005
Engine: 545i

nice mod - any discernable difference in the way the engine pulls ?
Old 05-14-2008 | 10:26 AM
Senior Members

I had her opened up at my USUALL place on the highway here and I definatly notice a diffrence when I'm reaching my upper rev band.
With the ECU remap, and the CAI baby pulls considerably more, It's nice to beable to hit that last gear quicker then before

Now I need some advice on some free flow exaust. I'm very confused on what to get (without splitting or changing rear end). I would like to keep my car as a "sleeper" if that is possible.

You guys have alot of knowledge I want to tap into for the exaust.

Thanks again for your comments.
Old 05-14-2008 | 10:42 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E60 M5, F85 X5M

One of the main differences between the Dinan intake and stock intake is that Dinan fabricated a secondary intake tubing to get more compressed air to pressurize the airbox. The new airbox also does not include the charcoal filter which should probably account for some of the gains.

Audi Eatter, you should just jump on those other Dinan parts I posted on that other thread and have yourself a Dinan-ized car. You should be able to get the Dinan badge as well.

Quick Reply: Dinan CAI Installed