E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Dinan CAI for 550i

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 03:55 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I just noticed that Dinan finally came up with a CAI for the 550 guys. Their price seems a bit expensive though... Any thoughts or opinions?

http://www.dinancars.com/store/product.php...=430&page=1

"High Flow Intake System
Dinan's high flow intake system for the 550 dramatically increases intake air-flow volume and velocity as well as ensuring the lowest possible intake air temperatures for maximum power gains, as well as improved throttle response. The system takes full advantage of the ram-air effect by adding a second air inlet in conjunction with the stock configuration, force feeding more cool, oxygen rich air to the enhanced air box. The system includes a complete replacement air box and lid, designed to increase overall volume and accommodate the additional air inlet. A special high flow filter element is included, reducing the restriction presented by the stock filter. The air box and lid are molded from a composite material that has been chosen specifically for its ability to resist power robbing under-hood heat and the design provides for a completely sealed air box, maximizing pressurization for optimum performance. Air from the secondary inlet passes through custom molded ducting, including a visible section manufactured from carbon fiber, also designed to reject underhood heat and provide maximum flow.

The high flow intake system alone produces a substantial 18 horsepower gain. The intake note takes on a subtly more aggressive tone at wide open throttle that will be music to the driving enthusiasts' ears."
Attached Thumbnails Dinan CAI for 550i-e60_550.650_cai.72dpi_01.jpg  
Old 11-18-2008, 05:20 PM
Members

$1200 is a little on the steep side I think. Then again, it has some pretty decent gains and it's Dinan. To me, $500-800 would be more fair (eventhough that's still very $$$ for an intake)
Old 11-18-2008, 06:12 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by aznunknownx' post='724549' date='Nov 18 2008, 07:55 PM
Well I just noticed that Dinan finally came up with a CAI for the 550 guys. Their price seems a bit expensive though... Any thoughts or opinions?

http://www.dinancars.com/store/product.php...=430&page=1

"High Flow Intake System
Dinan's high flow intake system for the 550 dramatically increases intake air-flow volume and velocity as well as ensuring the lowest possible intake air temperatures for maximum power gains, as well as improved throttle response. The system takes full advantage of the ram-air effect by adding a second air inlet in conjunction with the stock configuration, force feeding more cool, oxygen rich air to the enhanced air box. The system includes a complete replacement air box and lid, designed to increase overall volume and accommodate the additional air inlet. A special high flow filter element is included, reducing the restriction presented by the stock filter. The air box and lid are molded from a composite material that has been chosen specifically for its ability to resist power robbing under-hood heat and the design provides for a completely sealed air box, maximizing pressurization for optimum performance. Air from the secondary inlet passes through custom molded ducting, including a visible section manufactured from carbon fiber, also designed to reject underhood heat and provide maximum flow.

The high flow intake system alone produces a substantial 18 horsepower gain. The intake note takes on a subtly more aggressive tone at wide open throttle that will be music to the driving enthusiasts' ears."
Dinan stuff is expensive, but it works. Won't find better quality mods anywhere...
Old 11-18-2008, 06:43 PM
Contributors

My Ride: See sig :)

Your pretty much paying for the brand name, i dont see any difference spending $50 on a kn filter adding some rpi scoops vs this dinan intake, pretty much the same hp gains for fraction of the price.
Old 11-18-2008, 06:44 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by tbal' post='724714' date='Nov 18 2008, 10:43 PM
Your pretty much paying for the brand name, i dont see any difference spending $50 on a kn filter adding some rpi scoops vs this dinan intake, pretty much the same hp gains for fraction of the price.
Disagree
Old 11-18-2008, 07:07 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2009 Alpine White e92 M3

that's a lot of money for an intake but 18hp is a bid diff. +1 on the scoops!
Old 11-19-2008, 12:23 PM
Senior Members

Info on the fan Dinan uses to get the gains quoted: Dinan uses a 38,000 CFM fan used in the ventilation systems for highrise buildings. Impressive, impressive unit. Gains would of course be different if you dyno using the typical 2k to 15k cfm fans most dyno shops use.

Old 11-19-2008, 06:09 PM
Senior Members

I have the Dinan CAI on my 545 and I feel it was money well spent.

Although.....

I'm sure you can get a good deal on an AFE from someone on the forums here.
Old 11-20-2008, 09:22 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 Titanium Silver 550i, with all the bells and whistles!!

Originally Posted by NobleForums' post='725521' date='Nov 19 2008, 01:23 PM
Info on the fan Dinan uses to get the gains quoted: Dinan uses a 38,000 CFM fan used in the ventilation systems for highrise buildings. Impressive, impressive unit. Gains would of course be different if you dyno using the typical 2k to 15k cfm fans most dyno shops use.

interesting. what would the reported gains be if the fan was not turned on? Just curious, I am considering this mod, and the response to my question will not affect my decision. that's a big fan and I am thinking the stock system would probably show an increase in HP if it was in the blast of that fan!
Old 11-21-2008, 05:20 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by sleeper50' post='726534' date='Nov 20 2008, 01:22 PM
interesting. what would the reported gains be if the fan was not turned on? Just curious, I am considering this mod, and the response to my question will not affect my decision. that's a big fan and I am thinking the stock system would probably show an increase in HP if it was in the blast of that fan!
I would hope when dinan reports the HP gain it was because they tested BOTH the stock air box and their CAI intake with the fan on. Apples to apples...

Quick Reply: Dinan CAI for 550i