E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Dinan CAI 550

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2007, 02:26 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i 2006 BMW X3

I loved it until I got to the price. You'd want the exhaust and SW as well, making it about $3500 for the package (I think).
I have heard a Dinan'd 650i. It sounded very nice. I am tempted but not yet.... Only 1 month in, I'm still able to resist the mod bug....
Old 11-06-2007, 03:49 PM
AlB
Senior Members

Originally Posted by redwhiteblue' post='490898' date='Nov 6 2007, 04:35 PM
What I do not like about dinan is that there are no real power gains from intakes, exhaust, throttle bodies and software on NA cars however their intake and exhaust also do not sound much different than stock. So what are you gettin gfor your dough? I personally love the AFE intake simply for the sound it makes and any few hp it has is neglible but for money you get an amazing sound.

Same with other exhausts. I enjoy my remus for 500 bucks because it has awesome looking tips for one, and sounds really great and much different than stock.

Dinan however has an intake that you cannot hear and exhaust that is virtualy no different than stock sound and has tips that do not add much style to the back.

Plus they are usually pricer than everyone else
Hey sleepy,

Did you remove your SC and put your AFE back on because you like the sound so well? That must have been a snap since you told us you personally installed the SC.
Old 11-06-2007, 04:21 PM
Members

Originally Posted by my530i' post='490931' date='Nov 6 2007, 06:57 PM
I'm thinking about this intake and ECU flashing from Dinan

I have been hearing conflicting reports on how this effects the factory warranty, some say Dinan is an authorized and approved BMW tuner so it does not void the warranty, but then I have heard that BMW is planning to launch their own tuning products ("BMW Performance") and have therefore ended the relationship with Dinan?
Old 11-06-2007, 04:30 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 E63 M6: Silverstone Metallic... Fully loaded2005 DINAN5 (545i): Jet Black... Fully loaded1955 Chevy: Custom

Just had my Dinan 5 (545i) in at the BMW dealer for factory warranty work and things were fine with them

Originally Posted by WindycityBMW' post='490998' date='Nov 6 2007, 05:21 PM
I have been hearing conflicting reports on how this effects the factory warranty, some say Dinan is an authorized and approved BMW tuner so it does not void the warranty, but then I have heard that BMW is planning to launch their own tuning products ("BMW Performance") and have therefore ended the relationship with Dinan?
Old 11-06-2007, 04:38 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60 M5, F85 X5M

It's not that Dinan's products do not void BMW's warranty. Dinan just has a warranty of their own that's matched mile-per-mile to the factory warranty. They will also cover consequential damages to other parts of the car if their parts caused the failure. But as with all aftermarket stuff, your dealer can't deny you warranty claims unless they can prove the aftermarket part directly caused the problem for the warranty claim. My dealer has never questioned me whenever I've brought my car in for service or repair work.

The warranty topic is separate from Dinan's relationship with most BMW dealers. Now that BMW is starting their own performance line, a lot of BMW dealers may no longer be Dinan dealers but the Dinan warranty is still offered by Dinan.

Hope that makes sense.
Old 11-06-2007, 08:27 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 Silver 535i Virgin--Becoming a Beast!

Originally Posted by Roleez' post='490949' date='Nov 6 2007, 04:19 PM
Fred, trust me, you won't regret it!!! And if you're going to add the intake + software, you should also add the T/B to take full advantage of the increased air flow. And since you have the Dinan exhaust, both ends of the engine will benefit HUGELY. Just give it the beans in 3rd gear at 70 mph and you'll know exactly what I'm talking about. Oh ... and you'll be eligible for the exclusive Dinan5 badge, too! (Last I was told by Dinan, you only need 7 product points for the badge instead of 10. Don't know if this has changed recently. JetBlack? Confirmation?)
Hi Guys!

Interesting thread. I can't possibly imagine the Dinan CAI and Remap is any better performance or sound wise than my current AFE CAI and EuroRev Re-map. And the total cost for both including install was $1300.

I need to go to Speed Innovations in Van Nuys to get this sucker Dynoed and also record the sound of my exhaust. I'm going to try and do it this week or next.

I will report back as soon I have info.

So Cal
Old 11-07-2007, 04:14 AM
AlB
Senior Members

Originally Posted by EuroCarFan' post='491007' date='Nov 6 2007, 08:38 PM
It's not that Dinan's products do not void BMW's warranty. Dinan just has a warranty of their own that's matched mile-per-mile to the factory warranty. They will also cover consequential damages to other parts of the car if their parts caused the failure. But as with all aftermarket stuff, your dealer can't deny you warranty claims unless they can prove the aftermarket part directly caused the problem for the warranty claim. My dealer has never questioned me whenever I've brought my car in for service or repair work.

The warranty topic is separate from Dinan's relationship with most BMW dealers. Now that BMW is starting their own performance line, a lot of BMW dealers may no longer be Dinan dealers but the Dinan warranty is still offered by Dinan.

Hope that makes sense.
+1
BMW will be very slow to roll out performance products for the E60. I believe thay see the market in the 3 series and mini.
Old 11-07-2007, 10:47 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 BMW 550i w/SMG - JetBlack - Dinan Software - Dinan Exhaust - Anthracite Trim - Anthracite Headliner - Sport Package

Originally Posted by SoCalM5Mang' post='491089' date='Nov 6 2007, 09:27 PM
Hi Guys!

Interesting thread. I can't possibly imagine the Dinan CAI and Remap is any better performance or sound wise than my current AFE CAI and EuroRev Re-map. And the total cost for both including install was $1300.

I need to go to Speed Innovations in Van Nuys to get this sucker Dynoed and also record the sound of my exhaust. I'm going to try and do it this week or next.

I will report back as soon I have info.

So Cal
The intake from Dinan is way more involved than the AFE (based on the pictures I have seen). Dinan used a CAD system for their ram air type intake to feed a larger box made from heat resistant injection molded plastic. The Intake being a sealed box allows for a preassurized flow to the throttle body.
Old 11-07-2007, 01:27 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 E60 530i Color: Jet Black/Black Anthracite STEP | Sport | Premium | NAV | Logic 7 EXTERIOR: M-Tech Kit | M5 Mirrors, Trunk Finisher | Jet Black Kidney Surrounds | Madico Charcool Tint 54%, 35% LIGHTING: Euro-Headlights | Euro-LCI Tail Lights | AiB V3.0 | Solaris Invisi-bulbs | OEM LED Plate Lights PERFORMANCE: Porterfield R4-S Brake Pads | K&N Air Filter WHEELS & SUSPENSION: Work VS-XX 20x9, 20x10 | Toyo T1R 245/30/20, Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 295/25/20 | KW V2 Coilovers | Rogue Engineering 15mm Spacers

I know this is a lil off-topic, but will the air scoop from the 330i ram-air intake assembly fit on a 530i? The exhaust should fit too right?
Old 11-07-2007, 05:32 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2011 E92 335i M-Sport 6MT

Originally Posted by KnIgHtCoM' post='491369' date='Nov 7 2007, 02:27 PM
I know this is a lil off-topic, but will the air scoop from the 330i ram-air intake assembly fit on a 530i? The exhaust should fit too right?
Unfortunately, AFAIK, it won't work without some custom modification. Although the engines are the same, the intake tracts for both cars differ. Here are pics for comparison. The air box that holds the filter differs in design between the 530i and the 330i. Posted is a pic of the N52B30 255hp 530i engine from the Engine Pics section of our forum. The other is a pic of a Dinan3 330i. Although the 330i's intake assembly has a "Dinan Ram Air" emblem on it, this stock piece is actually used as part of the Dinan Ram Air intake for the E90. Also note that the air inlets of the 330i grab air from the kidney grills directly whereas the air inlets for the 530i aren't routed in this fashion. I have no idea if the additional air scoop that gets routed next to the brake duct will fit the air box of a 530i. For further info, feel free to PM JetBlack (who used to work for Dinan Engineering).

As for the Dinan exhaust, if given the time (and money), Dinan can actually custom-make one for the 530i. They've already fabricated a one-of-a-kind exhaust for forum member JedPeter's 530xi. So I'm sure they won't have any trouble fabricating one for the 530i.

530i (255 hp) engine ...

Dinan CAI 550-1_1_.jpg

Dinan3 330i engine (tweaked from 255 hp to 270 hp) ...

Dinan CAI 550-dsc01378.jpg

Quick Reply: Dinan CAI 550