E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

digital tv tuner

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2004, 04:33 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i was told by my dealer that the 05 cars will have an optional tv tuner. is this true? if so, when will the part become available so o can retrofit on my car?
Old 08-01-2004, 04:36 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

TV has been an option before (in Europe). The news is, that the new TV tuner costs 100 Euro more, but can switch from analogous to digital TV (DVB-T).
Old 08-01-2004, 04:44 AM
Contributors

The retro-fit kit will be available in September.
Old 08-01-2004, 04:54 AM
Super Moderator

But:

TV option requires Nav PRO !

Even for a retrofit.

When you have nav bus only, you could get the aftermarket module T-5500, what overrides the screen, even when the car is in motion.

German website about the T-5500 module!
Old 08-01-2004, 07:23 AM
Contributors

My Ride: [i][b][u]Since 19 august 2004[/u][/b][/i]: [color=red][b]530i[/b] High Executive[/color], Silvergray with beige interior, Popular wood, Servotronic, Sportssuspension, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, pappelmaser braun wood, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels, Logic 7, Steptronic, alarm class 3, electric sunscreen in the rear and suncreens for sidewindows, Comfort seats, heated seats, Xenon with headlightwashers, Adaptive corner lights ALC, Advanced airconditioning, lightpackage, Nav Pro, 6 cd changer, side airbags rearseats, bluetooth siemens S55, chrome kidneys, gearlever with wood, voice recognition retrofit, front windshield with green band. Waiting for trunkopener button from Hobi :)

I don't have the tv option but do have Nav Pro. Is retrofit possible and what can you do with digital TV???? The reason that I didn't take the tv option is that I also testdrove a Range Rover that had it and the image on the tv was snowwy, blurry and looked like nothing + faster than 6 km/h it went off.. If the image is nice like my tv at home I would really want to have it even if you cannot watch it when you go faster than 6 km/h
Old 08-01-2004, 08:23 AM
Super Moderator

Well, retrofits are allways possible... It's all about the price. I don't think this will be very expensive, since you have the nav pro and the CCC, so this is just an add on! The reception of analogous TV is poor when you are in an area where there are a lot of houses. Here in Frankfurt I get three stations (out of possible 30+), and they are not that good. Digital TV will give you an almost perfect reception, even when the car is in motion. In Germany they plan to bring DVB-T allover Germany and stop the cable service.
If you have digital TV in the Netherlands... I don't know. This service is called DVB-T, Digital Video Broadcast Terrestrial and they have just started this service in Germany.
If you have DVB-T in the Netherlands go for it. This will be very nice!
And the guys on the above mentioned website are even working on a solution to get the signal from the BMW TV tuner displayed, even when the car is in motion... Once that module is out and BMW brings the ability to watch movie DVD's on the nav drive (planned for September/October this year - software update), you can have it all...
Old 08-01-2004, 08:35 AM
Senior Members

my dealer says that you dont need nav pro for the tv function. if you build a E60 on bmw.co.uk it says that you only need advanced aircon to make the make the Tv work.

BTW what is CCC?
Old 08-01-2004, 08:42 AM
Super Moderator

CCC is the car communications computer, the advanced version of the M-ASK, the multimedia audio controller.
If you have nav pro or advanced air con you get the CCC.
So your dealer knows about the requirement of the CCC and is right therefore, that you don't need the nav pro, since the CCC is there when you have advanced A/C.
BUT you also need the bigger screen, that comes with the nav pro. That is a requirement according to BMW...
Old 08-01-2004, 10:12 AM
Contributors

My Ride: [i][b][u]Since 19 august 2004[/u][/b][/i]: [color=red][b]530i[/b] High Executive[/color], Silvergray with beige interior, Popular wood, Servotronic, Sportssuspension, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, pappelmaser braun wood, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels, Logic 7, Steptronic, alarm class 3, electric sunscreen in the rear and suncreens for sidewindows, Comfort seats, heated seats, Xenon with headlightwashers, Adaptive corner lights ALC, Advanced airconditioning, lightpackage, Nav Pro, 6 cd changer, side airbags rearseats, bluetooth siemens S55, chrome kidneys, gearlever with wood, voice recognition retrofit, front windshield with green band. Waiting for trunkopener button from Hobi :)

Originally Posted by Iceman' date='Aug 1 2004, 10:23 AM
Once that module is out and BMW brings the ability to watch movie DVD's on the nav drive (planned for September/October this year - software update), you can have it all...
I don't think we have the digital tv over here yet.. Haven't heard of it yet.. but if it's here I think I need it bad (hehehehe, need to convince the wife of course).

Iceman do you think the DVD watching on the nav drive will be possible without having the tv tuner.. I really really really want this!!! I have a Tony Benett DVD (live in San Francisco) and watched/listened to it in my father in law's E-Class and it I almost couldn't steer anymore because my manhood blocked the steeringwheel. It sounded sooooo damn good!
Old 08-01-2004, 10:14 AM
Contributors

I know Iceman, this one is too easy.. I'm tempted though....

Quick Reply: digital tv tuner