E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Dension GW 500

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2010, 06:08 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2011 535 Xi

Hello!
I know this topic is all over the place, I've looked

However i can't find a definite answer on my question. 2004 530i without mp3, without CDC, first thing is to Install the unit, then get it coded for mp3 playback right? what about blouetooth? How does it work? This question for those who are using GW500 bluetooth: It mutes the speakers?

If some of you can take a second and respond to these questions i would greatly appreciate it!

Thank you
Old 12-20-2010, 10:06 AM
Members

Old 12-20-2010, 11:18 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

not sure if you already found your answer, but what I know, you'll need to have MP3 playback programmed, as well as CDC prep. I'm also still a little hazy on all this, but planning to get a Dension for Xmas, so I'll be trying to figure this out again soon, no doubt.

GL
Old 12-21-2010, 05:44 AM
Administrator

Received 101 Likes on 97 Posts
My Ride: 530xi
Model Year: 2007
Engine: N52

Originally Posted by v_therussian
not sure if you already found your answer, but what I know, you'll need to have MP3 playback programmed, as well as CDC prep. I'm also still a little hazy on all this, but planning to get a Dension for Xmas, so I'll be trying to figure this out again soon, no doubt.

GL
+1
Old 12-22-2010, 06:50 PM
Members

Thanks,
I'm thinking of getting dension on Christmas as well

Old 12-23-2010, 02:10 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

Originally Posted by zamestytel
Hello!
I know this topic is all over the place, I've looked

However i can't find a definite answer on my question. 2004 530i without mp3, without CDC, first thing is to Install the unit, then get it coded for mp3 playback right? what about blouetooth? How does it work? This question for those who are using GW500 bluetooth: It mutes the speakers?

If some of you can take a second and respond to these questions i would greatly appreciate it!

Thank you
Need MP3 coded - Good to have but not absolutely necessary. Without it all you loose is track names on the idrive.
CDC coded - YES or iPod MOST coded in. Without this Dension won't work.
Bluetooth - You will need the Bluetooth option coded into your car. It does mute the speakers.

Once you understand how the Dension works, it suddenly becomes clear what you need to do.

Dension is simply fooling the car to think that its a CDC/iPOD, Bluetooth or TV(for AVR). Thus if the car has any of those missing it won't work. Problem is that Dension thought that everyone had access to an Autologic garage that could simply turn options on. BMW dealers cannot turn options on without the modules actually being there.

The bright side is that the Dension annouces itself on the MOST as the iPOD, so if you can convince a dealer to code this as an iPOD kit then you will be good. But good luck telling them to code it as an ipod without actually having the ipod kit installed.
Old 12-23-2010, 05:21 AM
Members

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda
Need MP3 coded - Good to have but not absolutely necessary. Without it all you loose is track names on the idrive.
CDC coded - YES or iPod MOST coded in. Without this Dension won't work.
Bluetooth - You will need the Bluetooth option coded into your car. It does mute the speakers.

Once you understand how the Dension works, it suddenly becomes clear what you need to do.

Dension is simply fooling the car to think that its a CDC/iPOD, Bluetooth or TV(for AVR). Thus if the car has any of those missing it won't work. Problem is that Dension thought that everyone had access to an Autologic garage that could simply turn options on. BMW dealers cannot turn options on without the modules actually being there.

The bright side is that the Dension annouces itself on the MOST as the iPOD, so if you can convince a dealer to code this as an iPOD kit then you will be good. But good luck telling them to code it as an ipod without actually having the ipod kit installed.

Thank you bruce_miranda!

Now i have to shop around!
Old 12-30-2010, 12:56 AM
Members

I have just installed one, here in Aussie land, it is very hard to get the BMW dealer to do any programming. I found a local Autologic garage that had never seen a Dension and offered to program the modules for free if I showed him how to install the unit and how it worked.

Worked out great, as my car had to have both the ipod / blue-tooth modules programmed for the unit to work. I have installed an old 16g ipod nano (that no longer worked due to battery issues) and this now works great via the gateway section. The bluetooth again works well, in that it works as part of the car, lists all my contacts etc.

So best option I can see, is to find a Autologic garage ask them how much to do the Dension program (It is an option under upgrades) it took about 5 min to program but the system looks like it is going to do a full upgrade. However it only updates the code that is selected.

My next option is to install / fit the mic at a location close to the roof. I was hopping to use the existing wires however I can not find any doc's on what to use.

Hope this helps, I love the unit, as it gives the feel of a factory option.

If your in Adelaide SA - see www.bmconnections.com.au They can now do this program.

Regards,
Troy
Old 01-06-2011, 05:49 PM
Members

Thank you Troy