E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Dension Gateway GW500 + iPhone 4

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2010, 06:47 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 05 545/6

Originally Posted by nigxdoof
Oh, I got a response from Dension:

"Hello!

A new docking cable will be available in a few weeks which should sort out charging and connection problem with iPhone 4G.

If you have further questions, please feel free to contact us again.
If your problem is solved, please still provide us feedback, so we know you are satisfied and can close your ticket.

Best regards,
Dension Support Team
www.dension.com"

I emailed them again to see when exactly and how much and where we can purchase. I hope it'll be the right fix. I'm going to try something too tonight.
that's weird, mine both worked great without new cables. my money's on your extender being loose
Old 07-30-2010, 08:10 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

Could it be the dins? I'm concerned now, if there's a chance it may not work at all... probably not, but still... Mike, can you please post if/when you get it to work and how? Thanks for all the help
Old 07-30-2010, 08:25 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 05 545/6

Originally Posted by v_therussian
Could it be the dins? I'm concerned now, if there's a chance it may not work at all... probably not, but still... Mike, can you please post if/when you get it to work and how? Thanks for all the help
just for info, the *youngest* of our two GW500s is a year old, so if you're looking to buy a new one or one originally purchased in 2009, you should be good to go. Perhaps Mike has an older unit? but then he would have had issues with the charging.

Mike, what version of the firmware are you running? I'm running 2.19 on one and I think 2.11 on the other and they both work. Current is 2.22 and I'm about to upgrade to it.
Old 08-05-2010, 05:17 PM
Members

I have been having issues with my setup. I have a 2G ipod touch. When I updated to 4.0 I started getting weird issues. It does play music (though I can't really control what plays). Several artists show up as <ERROR> (though it is different ones every time). My full list of artists does not load. Menus take a very long time to pull up. Basically, it doesn't work.

I updated to the latest firmware on the Dension and that didn't do it. Another option is to get the latest idrive software update. Does anyone think that will do anything?

I tried a friend's iphone with 4.0.1 and it worked (both a 3GS and a 4G). Only 4.0 is available for the ipod touch. Does anyone's ipod touch with 4.0 software still work with the Dension Gateway 500?
Old 08-09-2010, 08:54 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 E60 530i, 2012 E70 X5 35i
Model Year: 2004

Hey V... for some reason it works now. I have no idea.. but it works.. so freaking odd... Just wanted to let you know. Also it could be that I jailbroke my iphone, but i doubt it.
Old 08-09-2010, 04:56 PM
Contributors

I think its the cable, guys - just like someone here said they were told by Dension - you need the new cable. I'm not sure it is out yet, but it is supposed to be out soon.

Mike, thanks for letting me know based on what you said, and jherm said before you, I actually do think it is the software that helped - in your case, it was a jailbreak. I'm not planning to j/b mine though, so I'll probably just get the new cable when it comes out.
Old 08-09-2010, 07:20 PM
Contributors

I think its the cable, guys - just like someone here said they were told by Dension - you need the new cable. I'm not sure it is out yet, but it is supposed to be out soon.

Mike, thanks for letting me know based on what you said, and jherm said before you, I actually do think it is the software that helped - in your case, it was a jailbreak. I'm not planning to j/b mine though, so I'll probably just get the new cable when it comes out.
There's a bijallion reasons to jailbreak.. one of them is apps.. fo... f ree! heh. So many games man! Trust me. its well worth it.
Old 08-09-2010, 08:10 PM
Contributors

I just don't use any of the stuff I don't already have on my iPhone... I don't know... I jb'd my old 3G and it became a total POS speed-wise, so I returned it back to OEM spec. I like everything I have on my 4 so far - no reason to need anything additional. Besides, I don't wanna craze about my phone - its just a tool, that I have to use sometimes, its already taking up too much of my attention lol

anyway, where were we? Oh yeah, I think I'll place an order with fantactic 5 this Friday (payday ) for a Dension and get started on trying to do the CDC prep and KMP3 coding ASAP - still looking for a place that could do it on the cheap
Old 08-10-2010, 05:19 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 530i

I just don't use any of the stuff I don't already have on my iPhone... I don't know... I jb'd my old 3G and it became a total POS speed-wise, so I returned it back to OEM spec. I like everything I have on my 4 so far - no reason to need anything additional. Besides, I don't wanna craze about my phone - its just a tool, that I have to use sometimes, its already taking up too much of my attention lol

anyway, where were we? Oh yeah, I think I'll place an order with fantactic 5 this Friday (payday ) for a Dension and get started on trying to do the CDC prep and KMP3 coding ASAP - still looking for a place that could do it on the cheap
I feel the same way about my new iPhone. But I might jailbreak it if and when I get the iPad, because I heard you can piggyback off the iPhone for internet access via wifi. That means you won't need an additional data plan on the iPad. Now, that's sweet...
Old 08-10-2010, 06:16 AM
Contributors

I'll tell you now from my jailbreaking experiences. My old 3g was slow to begin with and all I did was install apps and worked great. And I had task manager and multi tasking.

With the new Iphone 4. I have it mainly to install free apps and performance is exactly the same and I also list the memory up on the task bar to see how much memory it takes. Also with SB settings, it helps uses the toggles for any settings you want to change around.

Jailbreaking is so easy now, you just go to the website and it takes 1-2 minutes tops and you're done. And Jailbreaking also became legal two weeks ago that is why everyone's pushing out new jailbreak techniques.

And tethering is a great feature for us jailbreakers.

Dont forget to be able to play SNES ROMS and Emulators... I could go on and on about jailbreaking. I just recently converted a handful of people to it with the Iphone 4 and 3GS. They were adamant about not doing it until I showed them the benefits and if you dont like it, Just back up your phone and restore it and its gone.

There is this one feature I forgot to mention, you can use VNC to remote into your phone and control it. I dont know what you can do potentially, but its freaking cool! Only plus I think is using the keyboard of your computer on your iphone... (I dont know the reasoning but its an option) LOL.

Facetime without wifi, Wireless Syncing, Backdooring into files of the Iphone. I'll keep rambling on and on and on.

I guess it comes down to if you can give me a good enough reason to not jailbreak it, I'll stop and support that idea, but if the reason is BS like "I just dont want to." I wont stop. HAHAH

Quick Reply: Dension Gateway GW500 + iPhone 4