E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Dension Gateway 500 Questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2008, 01:34 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

I want to purchase and install a Dension Gateway 500, but I'm not sure if I can. Is a cd changer mandatory, or is pre-wiring enough? My car is pre-wired for a cdc, which I think means I have a cable, but no hardware. I thought all I needed to do was update the software to recognize the cdc, and the install would be plug and play.
However, the local dealer is telling me that it's not possible to update the software to recognize the cdc without actually having the cd changer installed (which they charge over 1k for), is this true? I hope there is someone else who installed the Gateway 500 who can help me out.
Old 08-26-2008, 09:29 AM
Members

Originally Posted by robbgreene' post='654083' date='Aug 25 2008, 10:34 PM
I want to purchase and install a Dension Gateway 500, but I'm not sure if I can. Is a cd changer mandatory, or is pre-wiring enough? My car is pre-wired for a cdc, which I think means I have a cable, but no hardware. I thought all I needed to do was update the software to recognize the cdc, and the install would be plug and play.
However, the local dealer is telling me that it's not possible to update the software to recognize the cdc without actually having the cd changer installed (which they charge over 1k for), is this true? I hope there is someone else who installed the Gateway 500 who can help me out.

Same question for me - i dont have changer, but want to put Dension in (I do have E60 wiring can for rear camera, audio/video plugs, etc)
Old 08-26-2008, 10:41 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

I think we need a E60.net rental service for modules. What your dealer is saying is absolutely correct. The way the BMW system works is its polls the device and only if its found will it allow your dealer to programme it in. So what you need to do is find a CDC and install it - then take the car into your dealer and get the CDC programmed. Then sell the CDC off to the next guy who wants to do this. You need to do the same thing with the TV module in case you want to install the MOST interface for video.
Old 08-27-2008, 07:00 AM
Contributors

Thank you for confirming that Bruce, your insight is very much appreciated. Looks like I'm going to have to settle for the BMW iPod interface, since that seems to be much more inexpensive.
Old 08-27-2008, 07:12 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

Is does have its drawbacks as well. Look at ebay and source a cheaper CDC and then once programmed in you can put it back up for sale. The Dension gives you ipod, USB and bluetooth all within the same unit. You can even extract the video from your ipod using the Dension.
Old 08-31-2008, 02:13 AM
Members

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda' post='654762' date='Aug 26 2008, 08:41 PM
I think we need a E60.net rental service for modules. What your dealer is saying is absolutely correct. The way the BMW system works is its polls the device and only if its found will it allow your dealer to programme it in. So what you need to do is find a CDC and install it - then take the car into your dealer and get the CDC programmed. Then sell the CDC off to the next guy who wants to do this. You need to do the same thing with the TV module in case you want to install the MOST interface for video.
This is absolutely not the simpliest way!
If you don't have a CDC, all you need to do is to install Gateway 500 and at the dealer enable IPOD option (the similar one as for the OEM BMW iPod interface). The Gateway 500 fully identifies itself as an iPod interface so the diag comp won't realise the difference.

The other thing, if you have CDC and KMP3 option enabled, you don't need to visit the dealer as you can use Gateway 500 and orig CDC in paralell.
Old 08-31-2008, 08:08 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 E60 520d - 1995cc-177bhp, Business audio, Adaptive Xenons, ACS Roof & Trunk Spoilers, M6 Kidney Grill, ///M Badging, Carbon Fibre Door Lock Pins, ///M Wheel hub caps,

Originally Posted by GW500' post='658346' date='Aug 31 2008, 03:43 PM
This is absolutely not the simpliest way!
If you don't have a CDC, all you need to do is to install Gateway 500 and at the dealer enable IPOD option (the similar one as for the OEM BMW iPod interface). The Gateway 500 fully identifies itself as an iPod interface so the diag comp won't realise the difference.

The other thing, if you have CDC and KMP3 option enabled, you don't need to visit the dealer as you can use Gateway 500 and orig CDC in paralell.

Hey there GW500,

In my case, i have a CDC currently, and my single din cd slot plays MP3... so do i still have to go to the dealer to enable the IPOD option? as u said me in the PM? am a little confused.
Old 09-01-2008, 12:29 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Insane Devil' post='658764' date='Sep 1 2008, 06:08 AM
Hey there GW500,

In my case, i have a CDC currently, and my single din cd slot plays MP3... so do i still have to go to the dealer to enable the IPOD option? as u said me in the PM? am a little confused.
Sorry, I was not sure whether you have CDC or not.
If you have CDC, MP3 and a car with new PROGMAN version (a '08 car must be fresh enough) then you can make the install without visiting the dealer!
Old 09-01-2008, 04:09 AM
Members

Originally Posted by GW500' post='659006' date='Sep 1 2008, 09:29 AM
Sorry, I was not sure whether you have CDC or not.
If you have CDC, MP3 and a car with new PROGMAN version (a '08 car must be fresh enough) then you can make the install without visiting the dealer!
Hey GW500,

Does the same apply for video? I have CDC/mp3 playback/prof nav(CCC) but I dont have a TV module. Will the new upcoming AVR unit allow me to watch video from my ipod? Or will I need to get some module fitted and coded by the dealer?

Thanks
Old 09-01-2008, 04:22 AM
Members

Originally Posted by MrBimmer' post='659076' date='Sep 1 2008, 02:09 PM
Hey GW500,

Does the same apply for video? I have CDC/mp3 playback/prof nav(CCC) but I dont have a TV module. Will the new upcoming AVR unit allow me to watch video from my ipod? Or will I need to get some module fitted and coded by the dealer?

Thanks
Hi!
All you need a Gateway500 and an AVR. The BMW diag computer at the dealer will recognise those as an iPod interface and a TV-Tuner.
After enabling process you can watch iPod video on CCC.

Quick Reply: Dension Gateway 500 Questions