E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Dension Gateway 500 Installed!

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 01:55 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BlaSTiWi' post='931835' date='Jul 3 2009, 08:05 PM
You'll need to get iPod interface enable coding (or at least CD Changer). GW500 will use the CD#1-#6 menu as it act like a CDC.
I was going to ask the stealer to book me in for the iPod and CDC upgrade. After reading other posts and the manuals I wonder if that might cause a problem. The new Dension manual suggests the IPOD software upgrade, as you did above. Older documentation suggests a CDC software upgrade.

I have a M-ASK. If I get CDC and IPOD, is there a risk that the GW500 will work but not show the text? On the flip side, I don't want to pay for the IPOD software upgrade and then find I needed the CDC upgrade as well. Can anyone help?

I also want to go for the BTA-1500 soon. Should I ask for the Bluetooth software upgrade as well?
Old 07-06-2009, 02:33 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: MY07 525xi Silver Gray
Model Year: 2007

I don't think you can get both iPod & CDC coding since they are exclusive to each other, also when BMW do coding you have to have the device present so to enable CDC you must have the changer online as the programming station will check for the device first and same goes to the iPod coding.

Now you probably wondering how you gonna do it for the iPod coding ... well ... hookup the GW500 (w/ dip sw. #1, #2 & #6 up) make sure it's online it will act (GW500 will announce itself) as an iPod module when BMW programming station check for an iPod module for enabling iPod during coding.

'bout the text, there bunch of members here that can NOT play MP3 on their in-dash CD player but no problem using factory iPod module and/or even after they upgrade to GW500 as I think the text ability is included in iPod coding.

Not sure 'bout Bluetooth stuff from Dension since my car came factory equiped.

GL!
Old 07-06-2009, 02:37 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 05 545/6

Originally Posted by chulann' post='934390' date='Jul 6 2009, 05:55 PM
I was going to ask the stealer to book me in for the iPod and CDC upgrade. After reading other posts and the manuals I wonder if that might cause a problem. The new Dension manual suggests the IPOD software upgrade, as you did above. Older documentation suggests a CDC software upgrade.

I have a M-ASK. If I get CDC and IPOD, is there a risk that the GW500 will work but not show the text? On the flip side, I don't want to pay for the IPOD software upgrade and then find I needed the CDC upgrade as well. Can anyone help?

I also want to go for the BTA-1500 soon. Should I ask for the Bluetooth software upgrade as well?
you can't do the bluetooth software unless the module (in this case, the BTA-1500) is present in the car when they do the software upgrade. if it's something you want do it now, so that you'll get all the software in one download and not have to pay the dealer another 150 quid when you get the bluetooth.
Old 07-09-2009, 06:04 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by nigxdoof' post='803917' date='Feb 28 2009, 12:52 PM
Hey Mitch,

I'm sure it'll work for yours. My car is older than yours and has the least options. I didn't even have a CDC. with my 09/03 build, everything was limited until i got my hands on it and figured out how to put better modules in it. (Ipod, Bluetooth, aluminum trim, m5 smg shift knob, lci tails, Euro spec headlights, LED turn signals, etc....)

So it'll definitely work for your car, its just a matter of installing it.

SO I have iDrive, can play MP3 in indash changer, but have no 6 disc changer. I can install this correct? once installed assuming I still need the Ipod programming correct?

Thanks
Old 07-09-2009, 06:48 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 BMW ///M5 V10

HOW DID YOU INSTALL THIS?!?! NONE of the plugs i was given will plug into the car's wiring. what do i do?!
Old 07-09-2009, 08:02 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: MY07 525xi Silver Gray
Model Year: 2007

You have to pry open & split the changer plug then take out the fiber jumper & plug it into the GW500 then splice the power from the other part of the changer that you split to power the the GW500, if you going to keep the changer you have to daisy chain it from the GW500 using the fiber jumper (and plugs) provided in the kit. As the manual said be careful and watch where the direction of the light in the fiber cable as it may trigger iDrive SOS malfunction.

Owww ... BTW you do know that Dension Gateway 500 is NOT an OEM BMW part, right? So it's not like hooking up either OEM CD Changer and/or OEM iPod interface but there are a bit more work to get the integration going.

It'll work but require proper install but the install itself isn't all that hard as I did mine myself but based on your first impression I would recommend you to have a professional installer do it for you.

GL!

Originally Posted by BMWPower06' post='937972' date='Jul 9 2009, 09:48 PM
HOW DID YOU INSTALL THIS?!?! NONE of the plugs i was given will plug into the car's wiring. what do i do?!
Old 07-11-2009, 12:16 PM
Members

These guys have the Dension for $479 everyday.

http://www.bumperplugs.com/orderformpop1.html
Old 07-24-2009, 02:49 PM
Members

Got the software upgrade done today. The dealer came back and said that I needed a ?10 fireoptic cable to connect to the back of the stereo but that the software upgrade had gone through. He said the iPod connection wasn't working due to the cable but the Bluetooth should (it doesn't, as far as I can see). So he's going to get details on what I need on Monday and then let me know. He mentioned that the software update may need to be reapplied but they will do that for free.

OK, it doesn't work but I'm quite happy with Wollaston's BMW in Northampton. They told me before they started that it was non-BMW so might not work (fair enough) and overall have taken a very fair attitude to the whole thing. Will update as I get it....
Old 07-24-2009, 08:28 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 530i
Model Year: 2004

Originally Posted by BuzzedHornet' post='939571' date='Jul 11 2009, 04:16 PM
These guys have the Dension for $479 everyday.

http://www.bumperplugs.com/orderformpop1.html
Is this place legit? Have you ordered from them before? $479 is a great price.
Old 08-17-2009, 03:29 PM
Members

Hi,
Just became a new member with a new (used) bmw 07 525i with Nav. Definitely missing the ipod integration and after research, it seems like the dension is the better option.

I don't have the CDC and don't have the ipod retrofit kit, my systerm plays MP3 songs on my in-dash CD slot. I am learning that I need to install the dension kit (need some cutting wires for power etc), and the ask dealer to program the system for ipod retrofit kit.
I haven't opened this BMW yet and I am not sure if I can do the installation myself - although I would like to do it myself.

Is there a fiber optic cable already coming to the glove-box? I actually haven't been able to find a single internet installation/FIY for the E60 to add ipod kit in glove box, that didn't have CDC? If a CDC is installed ,it is fairly easy. But without CDC, I think we need to reach the back of the CCC/head-unit (& I read some drilling too) and might also need additional parts? Can anyone please help?

thanks a lot
PN
07 525i blk/blk, Nav, Prem, Xenon

Quick Reply: Dension Gateway 500 Installed!