E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Dension Gateway 500 installation

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2011, 12:47 PM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok just went through every single Dension thread (about 4 pages) trying to find out if anyone did a DIY on how to install the Dension 500 if you just have CDC prep but no CDC. Seems like no one did.

Car details:

BMW 520d E60 22.09.2005
MASK 6.5" radio, no sat nav, no BT, no CDC but CDC prep (cables in glovebox)

The dension comes with 2 fibre cables: 1 labelled "CDC side" and 1 labelled "Car side".
Since I have no CDC I assume I simply need to connect the 2 fibre cables from the glovebox to the "Car side" cable and plug that into the Dension, as per the image below right?
The "CDC side" cable will not be used correct?

Also I will be using an Autologic machine for the enabling, will the Dension need to be in Gateway more of Bypass/CDC mode?
Attached Thumbnails Dension Gateway 500 installation-capture.jpg  
Old 11-26-2011, 03:04 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: MY07 525xi Silver Gray
Model Year: 2007

Yes I did exactly this more than 3 years ago ... so you probably not searching extensive enough, anyway the post 'bout my install:

http://forums.5serie...ndpost&p=725161

I didn't even use the fiber cables from Dension kit I simply re-use the pre-wired CDC (of course after re-arrange the factory jumper).
Not sure how in Autologic as I simply use OEM iPod interface to code it and of course the Dension must be in in Gateway mode if you put it in Bypass it'll not be seen.

GL!

Originally Posted by sd_dracula
Ok just went through every single Dension thread (about 4 pages) trying to find out if anyone did a DIY on how to install the Dension 500 if you just have CDC prep but no CDC. Seems like no one did.

Car details:

BMW 520d E60 22.09.2005
MASK 6.5" radio, no sat nav, no BT, no CDC but CDC prep (cables in glovebox)

The dension comes with 2 fibre cables: 1 labelled "CDC side" and 1 labelled "Car side".
Since I have no CDC I assume I simply need to connect the 2 fibre cables from the glovebox to the "Car side" cable and plug that into the Dension, as per the image below right?
The "CDC side" cable will not be used correct?

Also I will be using an Autologic machine for the enabling, will the Dension need to be in Gateway more of Bypass/CDC mode?
Old 11-26-2011, 04:37 PM
Senior Members

Yeah that's it, my setup looks exactly like the OP's photo in that thread, see below. Thanks

One last question.
After I open up that black connector which loops the car's fibre cables together, I assume those 2 green car cables plug into the dension Car side cable which is circled below (2nd photo) right?
Or would I need to put the green cables in the same connector where the power cables for CDC are then plug into dension cable?
Attached Thumbnails Dension Gateway 500 installation-capture.jpg   Dension Gateway 500 installation-img_0583.jpg  
Old 11-26-2011, 05:51 PM
Members
Senior Members

Well, yes & no, after break out the black box you circled on the 1st pic then I just re-use the black connector end (on the right side of the pic) from Dension kit on your 2nd pic (after break it out too), as I mentioned previously I didn't even use the fiber lines that came from the Dension kit 'cuz having the fiber lines that are too long will just complicate storing them 'cuz you can not kink the fiber lines and the glove compartment don't have much room.

Just be careful w/ the directional of the beam or you'll get at least SOS warning (among others) lit up like X-mas tree on your iDrive.

Yeah that's it, my setup looks exactly like the OP's photo in that thread, see below. Thanks

One last question.
After I open up that black connector which loops the car's fibre cables together, I assume those 2 green car cables plug into the dension Car side cable which is circled below (2nd photo) right?
Or would I need to put the green cables in the same connector where the power cables for CDC are then plug into dension cable?
Old 11-27-2011, 02:32 AM
Senior Members

Ah ok got it. So no point using the orange cable just plug the green car ones in the black connector of the orange cable and plug that into the dension.
If I supply power to dension and no fibre connected will it emit a red light so I know which port is sending/receiving?
Old 11-27-2011, 02:38 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 520d - 19" 172s- Remapped - LCI taillights V6 cables - LCI xenon headlights - Denison 500 with BTA1500 - led interior lights - OEM led number plate lights Planned mods: Folding mirrors - Modmynav kit - High gloss shadowline trim -

Sounds like you may have solved your problem but this was the DIY I used if it helps

https://5series.net/forums/topic/750...nt-have-a-cdc/

Also, check out page 7 of the below link outlining a MOST bridging connector, which you may need.

https://5series.net/forums/topic/715...d/page__st__90
Old 11-27-2011, 04:35 AM
Senior Members

Thanks jas. On the first link you put up it looks like there are 2 bridging MOST connectors (circled in red below). My car only has one and there aren't any of them in the Dension package.
Am I missing something?
Attached Thumbnails Dension Gateway 500 installation-capture.jpg  
Old 11-27-2011, 07:32 AM
Members
Senior Members

'cuz that small black box that bridge the loop came from BMW not from Dension, why complicate thing ... by going w/ 2 bridge blocks you basically extend the fibers using the orange from the Dension kit and you'll run into storing the fiber (are you planing to put the Dension box away other than in the glove box?) otherwise just simply pop open all the ends and replace all done.

If you like to do it like the pic using 2 small black box bridges you can buy it at the dealer.

Thanks jas. On the first link you put up it looks like there are 2 bridging MOST connectors (circled in red below). My car only has one and there aren't any of them in the Dension package.
Am I missing something?
Old 11-27-2011, 08:59 AM
Senior Members

Yeah I took the dension black connector apart,took out the orange cables and will just plug the green cables into that. Easiest way.
Old 11-27-2011, 03:11 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 530i N52
Model Year: 2006
Engine: n52

is this dension will let u play videos/music from usb stick?

Quick Reply: Dension Gateway 500 installation