E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Dension Gateway 500 & BASIC Audio system in car

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2008, 02:42 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 E60 520d - 1995cc-177bhp, Business audio, Adaptive Xenons, ACS Roof & Trunk Spoilers, M6 Kidney Grill, ///M Badging, Carbon Fibre Door Lock Pins, ///M Wheel hub caps,

Hello all!

Again, the best place in the world to discuss the E60's!!!

You all have helped me understand/solve problems before with my new E60 520d and now i come across another problem so looking for your help...

This is in regards to getting USB capability for my iDrive for MUSIC purpose.

I Think the Audio system i have is the basic Business Audio system...i think! Coz i dont know where it woudl be written for sure.
The setup is - a "cd" slot below the Climate control buttons, this CD slot has all the favourite buttons and volume control buttons. thats the one... And this plays only Audio CD's and sometimes MP3 cds too, with occasional "DISK IS NOT READABLE" error. i hope u have all got what i mean. I DO NOT Have a DVD drive below it. But i do have a 6 CD Changer in the dashboard. (This plays only audio cd - not mp3 cd).

My car comes without any navigation at all. and it is with 6.5" iDrive screen.

NOW on enquiring with the dealer, got to know that the USB Retrofit is not possible coz this audio model doesnt support it! Maybe i think it is because of the lack of navigation and some other stuff... ACM + USB thing is also not possible.

SO FINALLY i decided to go for the Dension Gateway 500 (GW51MO2 model - as with this model i can still keep my 6cd changer)

Now my query is :
Will i get to see the filenames on the iDrive screen with my current setup of iDrive screen/audio system, and dension. ?

I have read the forum on this a lot, but couldn't come to a clear conclusion. this is in regards to what the cd text is. Currently when i play Audio CD from the cd changer, i dont get any cd text, nor does it come up in the high end version here which has Navigation.
I am wondering, if i dont have any display from the USB of Dension, on my iDrive, how am i supposed to change the songs, folders, etc? Some people said if i have a cd changer which supports MP3 cd, then only i can have text displayed on iDrive..

I am totally confused as to what the result will be after fitting the Dension Gateway 500 (GW51MO2).

If someone here has similar setup, can they please upload their pics also as to how they change songs and folders of files stored in their USB Drive connected thru the Dension.

Sorry for the lenghty post, it might be confusing, but thats the best i could explain in max details!

Seeking your help everyone...thanks!
Old 08-30-2008, 06:14 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

To get the text on your iDrive you need mp3 set up on your HU. If you can play mp3 in your single CD then you are fine. CDC are not mp3 enabled.
Old 08-30-2008, 07:00 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 E60 520d - 1995cc-177bhp, Business audio, Adaptive Xenons, ACS Roof & Trunk Spoilers, M6 Kidney Grill, ///M Badging, Carbon Fibre Door Lock Pins, ///M Wheel hub caps,

Oh wow, Thanks a ton! Bruce!
u r a life giver! bruce, are u 100% sure on this, n sugge
t i just go buy the dension gateway 500? u n me seem to have similar vehicle setup! u have dension in urs?

Thanks!
Old 08-30-2008, 11:30 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

PM GW500 who works for Dension and confirm this. Or try support (at) dension.com
Old 08-30-2008, 12:34 PM
Members

PM Sent to GW500! waiting for his reply now!
Thanks again, bruce!
Old 08-30-2008, 01:07 PM
Members

This is a rough picture of my car's audio system.

Dension Gateway 500 & BASIC Audio system in car-bmw_e60_interior.jpg
Old 09-01-2008, 11:52 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 03 BMW E60 520i - Steptronic - Black Sapphire - Style 116 wheels (Pirelli PZero Rosso) - PDC - Beige Dakota Leather - Dark Poplar Wood

I'm also confused about GW500 and whatever you can use it with business radio. For this reason I bought a business navigation (M-ASK) which comes with professional radio and is mp3 capable. I was planing to install it this week but it seems that my mechanic will not be able to do it and I have to wait until next week. I will post more as soon as I perform the retrofit. In the mean time If you proceed with the installation of GW500 please post the results.
Old 09-05-2008, 12:04 PM
Members

Kekkos, I am getting it installed tomorrow. Keeping my fingers crossed that everything works mickeymouse! Will surely update here once it is done, and how the outcome is.

Keep a lookout for this thread...will update very soon!

Thanks a lot Bruce_Miranda & GW500 for all the help you guys given me!
e60.net rocks!
Old 09-06-2008, 09:05 PM
Members

Sorry to inform the installation went kaput!

It was working only in the NON-TEXT mode! and its outright horrible! I think dension should not even make a "non-text" mode thing at all! feel so ashamed on the product the way it works in the non text mode!

Last option now is to try to "enable" ipod connectivity from the Workshop Computer... Will be doing it tomorrow first half, hope that solves the problem. Else, will return back the unit to the dealer! last hope for having usb in my car! argh!
Old 09-09-2008, 09:57 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 03 BMW E60 520i - Steptronic - Black Sapphire - Style 116 wheels (Pirelli PZero Rosso) - PDC - Beige Dakota Leather - Dark Poplar Wood

This is bad news. I'm going to upgrade my M-ASK to Business Navigation this Thursday and if everything goes well I'll install GW500 next Monday. Enabling ipod option rather than CDC maybe is a key factor in our case. Good luck with the ipod option.

Quick Reply: Dension Gateway 500 & BASIC Audio system in car