E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Dension or BMW Ipod Integration ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2009, 05:30 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the six CD auto changer set-up in the glove box on my 2008 E61 and want to change that to an ipod integration.

Which is the better kit for this, the BMW / Apline part or the Dension kit ?

Anyone have them fitted and can give some benefits of one over the other please ?

Already checked if the car can play Mp3 by burning some onto a CD-ROM and it can play Mp3, so no need for an Idrive reprogram.
Old 12-20-2009, 05:46 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: MY07 525xi Silver Gray
Model Year: 2007

Go w/ Dension but it'll cost more.

Look like your car is an LCI so already have USB & AUX input so your additional primary advantage going w/ Dension probably only not run into number of song/playlist limitation.

But if you are on LCI why need Dension or iPod module? All you need is USB-iPod cable and all set

Where are you located?
Old 12-20-2009, 06:02 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by BlaSTiWi' post='1077011' date='Dec 20 2009, 10:46 AM
Go w/ Dension but it'll cost more.

Look like your car is an LCI so already have USB & AUX input so your additional primary advantage going w/ Dension probably only not run into number of song/playlist limitation.

But if you are on LCI why need Dension or iPod module? All you need is USB-iPod cable and all set

Where are you located?
I have the LCI model and currently run the ipod through the AUX, port, but that's a pain because of the cable, power etc and no playlist on Idrive.

I am in Europe so the cost of the BMW Ipod kit is approx $260 and should plug straight into the MOST bus from the CD changer as a plug-and-play.
Old 12-20-2009, 09:12 AM
Members

My Ride: 04 545i sport, stick, L7, sat, nav. Charcoal/ runflat/ cdv delete. Suede headliner/ trunk, 3 way front speakers, four 8" subs in rear shelf, ACM, iPod dock in ash tray using gateway 500 with MP3 text and video on screen, MRTM aluminum pedals/ door pins, 10 farad cap, sound processor, line conditioner, 2 amps ( 4x100 and 2x200)

Originally Posted by higher' post='1077012' date='Dec 20 2009, 07:02 AM
I have the LCI model and currently run the ipod through the AUX, port, but that's a pain because of the cable, power etc and no playlist on Idrive.

I am in Europe so the cost of the BMW Ipod kit is approx $260 and should plug straight into the MOST bus from the CD changer as a plug-and-play.

After you install the BMW iPod kit "plug and play" you need to get ready for the trip to the dealer for the "plug and pay" programming. Here in the US the dealers charge about $280 for any CIP programming.

The Gateway 500 would be plug and play with no programming needed since you have CDC and MP3. The Gateway 500 is the way to go, it has 5v charging for newer iPhone/ iPod, usb, and full on-screen menu control. If you go with the BMW Alpine kit make sure to check its charging compatibility list before you buy it. Last time I checked it did not charge 6th generation iPod/ iPhone products.
Old 12-20-2009, 10:11 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: MY07 525xi Silver Gray
Model Year: 2007

So you don't have the 6FL option (I think) ... do you have the USB port option? Which allow iDrive a complete control of the iPod via a special USB/AUX plug? If not than go w/ Dension.

Originally Posted by higher' post='1077012' date='Dec 20 2009, 09:02 AM

Old 12-21-2009, 06:22 AM
Members

My Ride: 2007 E63, loaded, 6M, Sport, CIC/combox, DIRAC retrofitted.

Originally Posted by BlaSTiWi' post='1077124' date='Dec 20 2009, 02:11 PM
So you don't have the 6FL option (I think) ... do you have the USB port option? Which allow iDrive a complete control of the iPod via a special USB/AUX plug? If not than go w/ Dension.
Following this thread and I have a few thoughts to consider...

If you have a 2008 car just look in your console and see if you have a combo USB and aux jack on the front inside vertical wall. If you do, then you really are set. I recently had a loaner 2010 5-er from my dealer and it had that set up and a cable. I tried it out and it was a better interface than my OEM ipod kit... Gave more music selection options, etc. on the iDrive screen - and it runs under "Aux" on iDrive - and knows right away it has an iPod connected - rather than being spoofed as a 6-disc CD changer - which is how I access the iPod in my 2007 car. If no such combo jack on your 2008, then...

I have the OEM ipod kit which was installed and programmed by my local dealer - and a spec.dock installed where my ashtray used to be. For $30.00 extra, they sent me a "Cable Jive" charging adapter which allows the OEM piece to charge my iPhone 3GS just fine. I think you could get that little adapter by itself if you run a search for it or visit web site/call spec dock and see what options they offer you. I think the only reason that later iPods and my iPhone would not charge is that the pins must be switched from 1394 (Apple spec) to a USB spec - if I recall correctly what a techie friend told me. Bottom line is that a simple in-line adapter piece no more than and inch long and having a male and female stock iPod jack - like what goes into bottom of your iPod - will convert the wiring leads in that factory iPod cable and allow charging of your iPone/later iPod. Check into it...