E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Dension 500 and BTA 1500..please help

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2010, 05:47 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: BMW 520d e60 Dec 2006. Business Radio. BMW 316i E46 2003

Hi there ,
After reading about dension 500 with BTA 1500 i decided to get it installed to my car.

I have a E60 Dec 2006 with M-ASK unit. no CD changer or navigation.
Car still still under Aprroved used car warranty.
Firstly i gave car to dealer as I drive was slow for ugrading software. When dealer tried to upgrade software MASK unit crashed so he replaced it. CD head unit was still not playing MP3 but audio CD was showing text on screen. SI i think car was still not MP3 enabled.

I bought Dension 500 and BTA 1500 and installed it as per instruction and help from this forum. Its correctly installed as 3b according to latest dension install guide.

I took car to a ndy who had autologic Diagnostics. ( he had never installed dension before but he was happy to help) .
After connecting Autologic it showed few updates were available but decided straight to go for retrofit as were worried is MASK unit crashes.
In retrofit section there was option for Dension 500( which enables CD changer and IPOD option ( and DEnsion with Telephone option. car was coded for dension with tel.

Now problem is I drive screen shows CD1-6 but i m not able to select as greyed out.
When there is no CD in head unit it doesnt even show option for CD1-6

I have tried various Dip switch settings but still no luck.
Indy tried to code for MP3 retrofit as well but its giving error saying not able to communicate with Telephone and CD changer unit.
I tried upgarding the firmware on Dension but its not upgrading either ( it doesnt take .ROM file and leaves it like that )
Blue LED on dension does stay on. it charges iphone in bypass mode but not in gateway mode.

Indy said dension could be faulty so i ordered another dension but that doesnt work either.

I m gutted!!

Now indy thinks that it could be problem with MOST as maybe Optical cable is not connected to back of head unit. I m not sure if that can be the case as I get red light in optical cable at CD changer port.

I m screwed now as after spending money and time no result. I also risked my warranty being invalidated.

Should i take it to indy to get MOST cabling looked at ? How big is that job ?

Should i give up ? Can retrofitting option be erased so that BMW dealer never knows that MASK unit was aletered

Please help guys ... Lot of member here got it installed and working like a charm

Thanks a lot
Old 02-07-2010, 02:38 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 520d - 19" 172s- Remapped - LCI taillights V6 cables - LCI xenon headlights - Denison 500 with BTA1500 - led interior lights - OEM led number plate lights Planned mods: Folding mirrors - Modmynav kit - High gloss shadowline trim -

Hey, I was pretty much the same position as you. My car build date is Oct2006 with no CDC, no sat nav and no MP3. I went to an Indy on Mon and the coding never worked. They phoned Autologic helpline and eventually figured out that I need a most ring part. (I also had a red light in fibre optic cable showing and blue light on aux port before fitting this part). The MOST part enables the fibre optic to go in a circle (like a circuit basically) and takes no more than a min to fit. It goes on the right hand side of the golvebox and no parts need to be removed.

If your Indy knows were the MOST ring is then I would get the part and go back to him. I can get the part number if you need it and it only costs £14ish.
Old 02-07-2010, 02:39 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 520d - 19" 172s- Remapped - LCI taillights V6 cables - LCI xenon headlights - Denison 500 with BTA1500 - led interior lights - OEM led number plate lights Planned mods: Folding mirrors - Modmynav kit - High gloss shadowline trim -

After the MOST ring was fitted, Dension with tel was programmed and I know have song names showing and bluetooth.
Old 02-07-2010, 03:05 AM
Members

thanks very much jas

I hope this MOST ring does for my car. where did you buy it from ? is it BMW OEM part ? do u have part number for it?
Did your Indy code it for Dension + tel option on autologic ?
Did your car need coding again after fitting MOST ring ?
Did you enabled MP3 as well or just coding for dension worked ?

cheers
Old 02-07-2010, 05:45 AM
Senior Members

the most ring is an OEM part and I purchased it from a dealer. As I understand it, without the part the fibre optic does not make a loop which resulted in communication problem when carrying the programming (did the error when your Indy was programming say cannot communicate?).

Part number is in this thread (first post) https://5series.net/forums/topic/715...d/page__st__90

After the part was put in the programming was redone and all worked fine. The programming on both occasions was dension with tel option. Nothing else, like MP3 or CDC, was programmed but I will check if MP3 works now

Anything else you need to know just ask
Old 02-07-2010, 01:54 PM
Members

thanks for all this info.
In my case i think indy was able to code car for dension + tel as it shows CD1-6 and telephone on i drive but he coudnt do any further coding or update for MP3 as it was giving eror ( cant communicate with bluetooth and cd changer/ipod unit )
I hope this MOST part will sort out problems , it might need re coding but indy should be able to do that. I wwill speak to indy tomorrow if he knows about this MOST part and how to connect it

By the way how id soud and mic qualty with BTA 1500 ? was Mic cable long enough for mic to fixed near Visor or interior light . It looks as if might be a bit short

Cheers
Old 02-07-2010, 10:49 PM
Senior Members

The wire is long enough - I just wired it to the same place last night but the mic is rubbish. I have to shout for the other person to hear me. I'll be looking into a new mic now
Old 02-10-2010, 08:32 AM
Members

i got this bmw part number 61136931507 (Diagnosis interface MOST ) from BMW. I cant figure out where it fits in glove box. does it fit between optical cable or there is a socket for it ? I phoned the indy who didnt know about it ?
Could someone give me more info about how and where it fits ? is it DIY job ?

Thanks
Old 02-11-2010, 01:52 AM
Senior Members

I have circled where I believe the part goes. I don't know exactly it fits but it took my Indy a few seconds to swap parts.
Old 02-11-2010, 01:54 PM
Members

Thanks very much jas.
I got a indy who phone BMW technical support guy and finally managed to fit. Dension worked straight away and didnt need recoding .
I get song text from USB and i phone.
bluetooth is fine and surprisingly microphone volume is not bad after using volume patch and microphone volume settings .

Only problem is i cant get Iphone 3GS to upload phone book to dension , i have writted to dension support to see if they have any idea.

dension is a great piece of kit when its working

Thanks

Quick Reply: Dension 500 and BTA 1500..please help