E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Denison Gateway 500 questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2010, 12:42 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all

I wanted to add the Denison Gateway 500 to my e60 currently has media package professional, inc a 6cd disc changer.

How easy is the gateway to install?

Also i wanted to add the AVR kit for video, is this easy to add on? (i know it needs to be programmed to add the TV option)
Is the instillation a DIY job?
Many thanks
Old 10-14-2010, 01:18 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 525d MSport 19" 172s Leather - Heated No-Nav, M-ASK, MP3 Playback, BMW Ipod Interface, CD-Prep

Since you already have the 6cd changer - it should be a simple swap to replace the changer with the Gateway. It should just work after that (assuming your car is relatively new - it probably already has the coding for playing mp3s). I installed the BMW ipod interface myself on a car without cdc and even that was pretty straightforward (but did need coding for the cdc). There's plenty of info on here to help you.

Adding the AVR I don't know... Someone else will need to chime in for that!
Old 10-14-2010, 01:26 PM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

diy
Old 10-14-2010, 01:33 PM
Members

Thanks guys for the quick and straight to the point response!
Yes the single cd slot and DVD player does play MP3 cd's and shows the text.

Bruce, ive been reading a lot about your LCI conversion cables i WILL be coming round this this sometime soon, shame my car was just like 2ish months before LCI came out!
Old 10-16-2010, 04:32 AM
Members

My Ride: BMW E61 525D 2008 m-sport

Originally Posted by msport530d
Hi all

I wanted to add the Denison Gateway 500 to my e60 currently has media package professional, inc a 6cd disc changer.

How easy is the gateway to install?

Also i wanted to add the AVR kit for video, is this easy to add on? (i know it needs to be programmed to add the TV option)
Is the instillation a DIY job?
Many thanks
Hi

I've installed Dension GW 500 and AVR in my E61. The GW 500 is quiet easy, but the AVR module is more complicated. This is because you have to remove the HU and install an adapter cable in the back of the HU. There is not much space in the back of the HU so it?s a bit tricky to place the wiring on the adapter but it?s possible. Another problem it to get the car coded for TV activation. My local BMW dealer was no able to do this. I manage to get the HU coded by Patryk on this forum that did it remote.
Old 10-16-2010, 10:20 AM
Members

Originally Posted by haugejan
Hi

I've installed Dension GW 500 and AVR in my E61. The GW 500 is quiet easy, but the AVR module is more complicated. This is because you have to remove the HU and install an adapter cable in the back of the HU. There is not much space in the back of the HU so it?s a bit tricky to place the wiring on the adapter but it?s possible. Another problem it to get the car coded for TV activation. My local BMW dealer was no able to do this. I manage to get the HU coded by Patryk on this forum that did it remote.
Do you have business sat nav or professional sat nav with 8.8" widescreen ?
I take it the dension is much better than thebmw iPod retrofit kit ?
How many sources can you now get with the dension , can you still add tv module as well , or does dension allow a digital tv / DVD / iPod videos , and rear camera etc ?
Old 10-16-2010, 11:16 AM
Members

My Ride: BMW E61 525D 2008 m-sport

Originally Posted by GhostWorks
Do you have business sat nav or professional sat nav with 8.8" widescreen ?
I take it the dension is much better than thebmw iPod retrofit kit ?
How many sources can you now get with the dension , can you still add tv module as well , or does dension allow a digital tv / DVD / iPod videos , and rear camera etc ?
I have nav professional. I think this is required for the AVR modul. The OEM tuner only work if the Dension GW 500 is in bypass mode. You can add a non OEM TV tuner and there is tree audio/video input plus the Ipod. You have Ipod, Rear camera, DVD and AUX AV
Old 10-16-2010, 11:58 AM
Members

Any DVD player recommend and tv tuner ?
Can the tv tuner be controlled idrive as well as the DVD player ?
Old 10-16-2010, 12:13 PM
Members

Seen son half din DVD player on eBay for £70.00 and free view box for 50.00
So DVD on DVD input and tv on aux a/v input on dension ?
Old 10-16-2010, 01:34 PM
Members

Originally Posted by haugejan
Hi

Hi Haugejan

Thanks for the reply (boost in confidence!) haha yeah i was thinking i'll just do the gateway for now and see if i really need the AVR router, as tempting as it is i doubt i'll hardly use it! but then again if i want to do something id rather just get the whole set in once and all. Coding will be an issue though...

Thanks

Quick Reply: Denison Gateway 500 questions