E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Debadge or Rebadge?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2006, 06:17 AM
JDN
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by black530e60' post='221048' date='Jan 8 2006, 03:39 PM
The previous owner debadged the car and had the numbers in the glove box. At first I hated it but now I'm kind of getting used to it and can't decide whether or not to put it back on. The numbers no longer have the adhesive tape so I probably have to buy new ones. Not sure of the cost or how difficult it would be to get them lined up perfectly. Any opinions? Leave it alone or put it back on?
I debadged, but will put the numbers back when I sell it along the lines suggested by Bimmer32. Meanwhile, other motorists who may be confused by the debadging, can get a taste of what's under the hood on a need-to-know basis -- assuming the Remus didn't give it away.

If the debadging is a problem for you, put the numbers back on or get a body shop to do it for you. I would not buy new numbers, and then have to go through the alignment process myself. The only person that ever asked whether I had a six or eight cylinder, checked the grill before I answered.
Old 01-09-2006, 07:33 AM
Contributors

Keep em off. Every car looks just that much cleaner and smoother without these numbers or letters on their paint. When the designers complete their product, I'm sure they get pains in their sides when the badges and numbers are put on. I've debadged every car I've ever owned, and that includes very expensive ones too. I just like the look.
Old 01-09-2006, 08:24 AM
Senior Members

I always debadge my cars. I think it looks better w/o badge. If I had a 545i/550i I would do it for the reason to not show off. In Sweden it's important to not brag in front of your customers. I know a guy who has a SL55 AMG, he drives a Peugeot 407 Diesel when he meets his customers.
heh dad does that. He drives a Volvo s60 for meeting clients. Its 'good enough' without being OTT. On weekends he blasts around in his Porsche.

Although every so often we goto a meeting in my 5 or his Porsche if we need to make an 'impression'. Depends on clients i suppose.

As for debadging...

My car is debadged and tbh i prefer it. Noone is sure what i have under the hood as a result. It could be a 520/523 or it could be a 530 (cant be 550 because no chrome grill)
Although this isnt the main reason... it just looks cleaner and the car is symetrical without the badge.

The eye is naturally more pleased with symettry supposedly hence it looking 'better'.

Just my 2 cents
Old 01-09-2006, 10:22 AM
MAK
Members

[quote name='black530e60' date='Jan 8 2006, 09:39 PM' post='221048']
The previous owner debadged the car and had the numbers in the glove box. At first I hated it but now I'm kind of getting used to it and can't decide whether or not to put it back on. The numbers no longer have the adhesive tape so I probably have to buy new ones. Not sure of the cost or how difficult it would be to get them lined up perfectly. Any opinions? Leave it alone or put it back on?

The only badge needed is that one in the middle of the trunk... it says it all... forget the rest of the graffiti thats for the masses and that's my two pence worth!
Old 01-09-2006, 11:17 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '06 530i, Titanium Silver, Gray Leather, Sports PKG, Premium PKG, Sound PKG, Cold PKG, STEP Tranny, Power sun shades, fold rear seats, rear seat heating, PDC, Nav

Originally Posted by miss525i' post='221136' date='Jan 8 2006, 04:34 PM
I say rebadge it...people always ask me if it's the 3 series before they look at the badge not that there is anything wrong with the 3 series...but it is an E60 after all
Absolutely, show your digits!
Old 01-09-2006, 11:32 AM
Members

My Ride: 525i SE Black Saphire, Black Dakota Leather, 116 type alloys

If someone else has taken the trouble to debadge then I'd just leave it alone. I'm not on either particular side of the fence as my old e39 came debadged and my e60 came with it on. (My wife's E46 is the ES model which comes debadged as standard).

Unless you have a strong preference just live with what you inherited and enjoy the driving experience!
Old 01-09-2006, 04:05 PM
ipp
Senior Members

My Ride: 07' 530d - M-Sport - Titanium Silver / Black Dakota leather 08' 120i - M-Sport - Alpine White III / Black Sensatec

Originally Posted by Trev550i' post='221369' date='Jan 9 2006, 12:22 PM
Simple answer. Rebadge it so that it looks factory.
Outside the US debadge is a factory option just like heated seats or whatever... Your's 'Looks factory' has nothing to do with it! In Europe it's a common choice, looks cleaner. No car has been designed to have that ugly looking sign glued to it's back!
Old 01-10-2006, 12:15 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E61 535d sport, Silver Grey/grey/maple. 20" Hartge Nova 7. Previously 19" staggered 172s

If you bought the car for yourself, leave them off. Never have understood the reason for tacky little numbers (manufacturers advertising?) on an expensive piece of kit like a car.

If you bought the car to impress the world, put them back on.
Old 01-10-2006, 01:44 AM
Senior Members

I'd leave them off - I dislike the asymmetry that a badge gives.

Personal choice of course.

I recently followed a new 318i cabriolet (you can tell by the single exhaust) where the owner had stuck an aftermarket "M" badge on the boot - lame
Old 01-10-2006, 04:13 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW 545iA Black Sapphire
Model Year: 2005
Engine: 545i

the badging issue again......

basically it comes down to this mate :

if you like aesthetics = off
if you have an ego = on

both of the above = on
none of the above = flip a coin...