E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

dangers of DIY

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 06:12 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: A Car

u probably forgot to plug something back such as the heated seats, DSC etc. This will cause the seats not to move. Dont ask me how I found out. LOL
Old 08-03-2011, 07:03 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: A Car

u probably forgot to plug something back such as the heated seats, DSC etc. This will cause the seats not to move. Dont ask me how I found out. LOL
Old 08-03-2011, 07:25 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 Monaco Blue 535i Sport/Premium Package

Originally Posted by mwolfe
I will be taking apart my dash--AGAIN --to try to find the electical problem. I will update the results after the weekend. Wish me luck.
did you ever get this figured out?
Old 08-03-2011, 08:03 PM
Members

Thanks for all your concern. I was waiting until I had info before I updated.

Just to summarize and hopefully shed a bit more light: I was installing the ModMyNav reverse camera and had the dash apart. Most of the wires were installed except for the wire from the harness to the reverse light (I have a 6SP MT, so those of you who have intalled the camera know what I am talking about). I had to put it all together before completing the install. It all worked though. The next week, I had it all apart again, finished the install, and replace all the dash components. I should note that it took me over an hour to re-install the the control unit (I think that is what it is called) due to the tight spaces and all the new wire harnesses. During that fiasco, there was a fair amount of pressure placed on the harnesses. After it was all together, I noticed that the seats would not adjust with the buttons but would readjust when the door was openned, the DSC is inactive, the seat heaters do not work, and the PDC does not turn on/off with the button but is ok when in reverse. I hope to get time this weekend to try again, otherwise it will be another week since I am going to Maui next week for a much needed vaca.

I am a "glass-half-full" kinda guy and want to report: THE MODMYNAV REVERSE CAMERA IS WORKING FLAWLESSLY!! Huge Kudos to Kris with ModMyNav.com--that guy has the patience of a saint. THANKS, KRIS.

As soon as I get more news, I will update.
Old 08-06-2011, 08:52 PM
Members

Well--I finally got the time to have another go at it. I took apart the dash again, thinking for sure that there was a loose wire harness. Everything was plugged in firmly, I followed the wire bundles in the dash as far as I could, I took down the glove compartment again--all for naught.

Frustrated and pissed, I pretty much resigned myself to bring the car into a repair shop with egg on my face and pay through the nose for an electrical diagnosis and repair. I decided to press on. I went with my first instinct and decided to check the fuses. I brought out my laptop, openned the picture from ANTTI and began the search. Once I openned the emergency kit in the truck lid I noticed where the photo came from (inside the kit). I started by looking for the fuses of the components that were effect. Got to fuse #74--it was blown--I changed it--AND IT ALL WORKED. Thank you, Antti. I bet the fuse went when I unhooked the pos (+) terminal from the battery.

That is a huge weight off my shoulder. all is well that ends well.

Thanks everyone for all your support.

MIke

edit 2:
Another pic:

[/quote]
Old 08-06-2011, 11:58 PM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: Bmw 530d 2004

Excellent!

- Antti -