E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

D2S Bulbs

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 09:21 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E60 550i, Ducati 748

Originally Posted by cleung
if you have small hands you can probably do the swap without removing the headlight unit. However its not very hard to remove the headlight unit and its much easier to install with the headlight unit taken out.
Do you have to remove the bumper cover? I tried the other day to remove my headlight and it seemed like the bumper cover needed to come off.
Old 05-24-2012, 09:29 AM
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: M5
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by E60_550i
Do you have to remove the whole headlight housing to replace the bulbs? If so do you have to remove the bumper cover? (sorry newbie question)

Originally Posted by E60_550i
Do you have to remove the bumper cover? I tried the other day to remove my headlight and it seemed like the bumper cover needed to come off.
You need to remove the headlights no matter what. Unless you have hands that bend in directions only possible with CGI, you will be unable to do the kind of work required.

Removing the headlights requires simply removing the high beam cap, uscrewing the bolts, and then taking out the headlight in a strange angled pull out motion. Not hard to do.
Old 05-24-2012, 11:28 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60

Can't remember what site I ordered the bulbs from buy let me try and find the packaging. The bulb install is pretty basic, 1st- 100% take off the headlights by unscrewing the two black screws located at the top and bottom. Be real carefull when taking off and on as the sharp edge of the bottom in most portion of the headlight is your pivot point of taking off and putting on the headlight. That sharp point of the headlight likes to scratch the front bumper so be carefull. 2nd place the headlight upward on the engine and be carefull not to over extend the wire connecting it or have the headlight fall. I'd put a towel on the engine and place headlight on it. Unscrew the black plastic cover. Place it on a safe spot so it won't fall in your engine. Than carefully turn the xenon HID box shaped adapter piece off. I believe my had two clips holding it down on both sides. Carefully remove the bulb. Don't grab the bulb but grab the plastic piece on the button. Install new bulb and attach and the adapter and clips. Make sure to look and remember how everything is attached and positioned when taking it apart. Its relatively easy but take your time.
Old 05-24-2012, 11:31 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60

Btw don't order bulbs off eBay what ever you do!!! People in china are making fake Phillips bulbs and putting the name Phillips and even a fake product number on it. It's a major scam. Thow $50 more a get yourself bulbs that will last longer and work better
Old 05-24-2012, 02:45 PM
Members

My Ride: E60 550i, Ducati 748

Originally Posted by umnitza
taking out the headlight in a strange angled pull out motion.
lol thats helpful I got the whole headlight loose, but it seemed like there was something on the bottom keeping it behind the bumper cover which is what made me think the bumper cover needs to come off.