E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Custom Kidney Grill

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2008, 03:51 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I need my own OEM grill to be painted Platinum Grey Metallic, how much is a fair price for this process, and i heard my car will have to be noseless for a whole day.
Old 11-08-2008, 03:58 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2009 Alpine White e92 M3

you can buy custom painted grills for about 100 I think.
Old 11-08-2008, 04:03 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

Where are you located? Perhaps a member close to you can recc a shop close to you for a good price. Make sure they strip the chrome off the grills before painting. A day would sound about right tho, just to allow the paint to dry correctly...GL
Old 11-08-2008, 04:19 PM
Members

Im located in West Los Angeles, but I also work in Downtown LA, so either location works, n thanks guys.
Old 11-08-2008, 04:20 PM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F13 M6

PM sent welcome and enjoy the forums.
Old 11-08-2008, 04:31 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Alpine White on Black interior, Sport and Premium Package, Steptronic, Navigation, Xenon Adaptive Headlights, Mtec V2.1 angel eyes,Hoen Fog Lights, Full M-Tech kit, ACS pedals, LED plate lights, CF Steering Wheel badge, CF Titanium trim, OE

and enjoy the forums!!!
Old 11-08-2008, 04:38 PM
Contributors

My Ride: See sig :)

Originally Posted by jacobazizi' post='716016' date='Nov 8 2008, 04:51 PM
I need my own OEM grill to be painted Platinum Grey Metallic, how much is a fair price for this process, and i heard my car will have to be noseless for a whole day.

1. Take grills off the car
2. using a 800grit sand paper, sand them down even so the chrome finish is no longer shiney. You may want to go lower grit, but 800s nice, may take longer, but will make it smooth.
3. Using a self-etching/bonding primer (sticks to plastic, abs etc) spray 2-3 coats evenly.
4. Allow to dry/cure overnight. (I know its along time, but this way you know if you will have no future problems of peeling, bubbling up.)
5. Inspect surface, if bubbles, ripples, drips, go back and sand that area, and re do another coat or 2 of primer.
6. Allow to dry
7. Using whatever color (In my case I used black duplicolor trim spraypaint) spray 2-3 coats of paint.
8. At this point go over the whole surface using a 1500-2000grit sandpaper, using "wet-sand" method. (keeping it wet and lubricated with soap at all times) DONT APPLY TOO MUCH PRESSURE
9. The surface yes wont be shiney at all, look scuffy etc... no problems! Using a laquer based clear coat (duplicolor) spray down a good 3-4 clear coats! This will make the color pop out, make it shiney and last a long time!

If anythings confusing holler... I am not affiliated with duplicolor, its just a good brand rofl. This is my own write up, so copyright tbal 2008. rofl jk
Old 11-08-2008, 04:40 PM
Members

Originally Posted by euro2nv' post='716044' date='Nov 8 2008, 05:31 PM
and enjoy the forums!!!
Thank you, I've only had gotten my 528i for a month, but im trying to do everything quick, ive done tints and roundels already, and i think grill are also a nice n cheap cosmetic enhancement.
Old 11-08-2008, 04:46 PM
Members

Originally Posted by tbal' post='716049' date='Nov 8 2008, 05:38 PM
2. using a 800grit sand paper, sand them down even so the chrome finish is no longer shiney. You may want to go lower grit, but 800s nice, may take longer, but will make it smooth.
3. Using a self-etching/bonding primer (sticks to plastic, abs etc) spray 2-3 coats evenly.
4. Allow to dry/cure overnight. (I know its along time, but this way you know if you will have no future problems of peeling, bubbling up.)
5. Inspect surface, if bubbles, ripples, drips, go back and sand that area, and re do another coat or 2 of primer.
6. Allow to dry
7. Using whatever color (In my case I used black duplicolor trim spraypaint) spray 2-3 coats of paint.
8. At this point go over the whole surface using a 1500-2000grit sandpaper, using "wet-sand" method. (keeping it wet and lubricated with soap at all times) DONT APPLY TOO MUCH PRESSURE
9. The surface yes wont be shiney at all, look scuffy etc... no problems! Using a laquer based clear coat (duplicolor) spray down a good 3-4 clear coats! This will make the color pop out, make it shiney and last a long time!

If anythings confusing holler... I am not affiliated with duplicolor, its just a good brand rofl. This is my own write up, so copyright tbal 2008. rofl jk
Thats wayyy too crazy for me to do, n plus im not that technical of a person, just want some local dealers
Old 11-08-2008, 04:50 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

Originally Posted by tbal' post='716049' date='Nov 8 2008, 05:38 PM
6. Allow to dry

Nice write up tho tbal..should post that in the DIY section...

Quick Reply: Custom Kidney Grill