E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Custom CAI and Head shield

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2013 | 04:38 PM
Members

Default Custom CAI and Head shield

Hey guys, I figured I'd post my latest project so I could get some feedback from all of ya. So for the past month I've had the mod bug and have dropped more than enough money into my 545i. I was looking for some performance mods and after the ram air scoop I figured I'd get a CAI, but after reading the reviews of the AFE intake and the problems with heat soak i figured hey im an engineer time to build my own setup! So I went out to my local auto parts store, picked up a Spectre cone filter and some high temp engine paint. I then took a trip to home depot and bought a sheet of aluminum to make a heat shield and some weather stripping for the edges. I made a template out of some aluminum I had laying around and when I was satisfied with my design, I traced it onto my new piece of aluminum and put it together. In the end I ended up paying something like $55 dollars on everything and about 2 hours or so. After driving the car for a week I can definitely feel a difference. I have not dynoed the car so I can't say this is actually working but I know I havent lost any power. I have taken the car on multiple long hard drives and when I feel the filter its cool to the touch, but when I touch the heat shield it burns. Here are some pics!Name:  IMG_1649_zps1b166562.jpg
Views: 21
Size:  172.3 KBName:  IMG_4333_zpse5ebd64e.jpg
Views: 34
Size:  176.1 KBName:  IMG_6763_zpsaadde761.jpg
Views: 20
Size:  174.5 KB
Old 08-21-2013 | 07:04 PM
Senior Members

Nice work on the heat shield! Did you build a template with cardboard?
Old 08-21-2013 | 07:06 PM
Senior Members

What are the two clear/white looking hoses that route near the washer fluid filler cap?
Old 08-21-2013 | 07:53 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: Alpine E60, '09 535i-Premium, Sport and Comfort Access PackageMods: Lux H8 V3 Angel Eyes, Weisslicht LED license plate lights, Interior LED lights, RPI Scoop, Matte Black Grills, Smoked LED side markers & side reflectors, 35% tint all around, and a 3

Looks good.
Old 08-22-2013 | 04:23 PM
Members

I think I may do this, I've been on the self engineering mood lately, trying to think of all different crazy things to do. I'll give this a go, follow the way you did it and hope for the best.

Only question is how did u measure how high to cut the heatshield so it's flush with the hood closed?
Old 08-23-2013 | 10:14 AM
Members

My Ride: 2007 530i 2010 X5
Default intake

very cool. I think I found my next weekend project.
Old 08-24-2013 | 04:29 PM
Members

I actually made my template out of aluminum but I think cardboard would be much easier to use. Those clear hoses are from my oil catch cans. I have a thread somewhere about that project. I chose clear so I could see if oil was going through or not. As for measuring the height I just used the stock box and measured how tall that was and took like half an inch off so I could fit the weather stripping.
Old 09-22-2013 | 04:23 PM
New Members

My Ride: E60 01/04 545i - 19" Alloys

Nice work on the CAI AllBlackBMW! looks impressive! I just bought a replacement filter for my car before i browsed through the threads....

found my new weekend project coming up

any issues that you bumped into to note?
Old 09-23-2013 | 09:45 AM
Members

Originally Posted by ma_tty_d
Nice work on the CAI AllBlackBMW! looks impressive! I just bought a replacement filter for my car before i browsed through the threads....

found my new weekend project coming up

any issues that you bumped into to note?
I did this last week, for $50 and some spare time its an awesome project.

Car feels like it can breath better and changed my exhaust note a bit with my straight pipes. ( for the good )

Something to note: wear gloves when cutting aluminum/sheet metal I forgot to, ended up cutting myself several times and bleeding all over the place. Also with that particular intake cone, its a little bit of a tight fit, but nothing problematic, just surprised me because it looked like there was going to be more room.
Old 09-23-2013 | 12:47 PM
New Members

My Ride: E60 01/04 545i - 19" Alloys

Originally Posted by nothingbutbmw
I did this last week, for $50 and some spare time its an awesome project.

Car feels like it can breath better and changed my exhaust note a bit with my straight pipes. ( for the good )

Something to note: wear gloves when cutting aluminum/sheet metal I forgot to, ended up cutting myself several times and bleeding all over the place. Also with that particular intake cone, its a little bit of a tight fit, but nothing problematic, just surprised me because it looked like there was going to be more room.
thats not a bad price at all maybe i'll do it this weekend if i get bored

The weather is going to warm up pretty soon over here... will be a good test cheers for the info

Quick Reply: Custom CAI and Head shield