E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Could modules on AE's cause adaptive headlight malfunction?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2013, 06:43 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2010 BMW 535 X-Drive | Sport, Premium, Cold, Nav | OEM MTech Kit | MTech V3 3.0 AE | RDash Plate Lights | Interior LED | 6000K Fogs | SAT Retrofit | Continental DWS | Jehnert Speakers | Gloss Vinyl Roof | Custom Ambient Amber Match LED Interior |
Default Could modules on AE's cause adaptive headlight malfunction?

So I installed my Mtech V3 AE's on my LCI with Xenon and about a week later, I got a adaptive headlight malfunction. To be completely honest, I installed the bulbs, and put the modules (those long squares) in the housing and closed up the unit with the seal. I thought this was the only way to install without having condensation buildup from not resealing the light housing.

Could this have been a concidence, possibly? But I can't help but think that maybe the square units caused the malfunction. Am I doing something wrong? I have since put back my stock halogens and been hesitant to reinstall my AE's but want to rid myself of the yellowish lights!

And apologies if this has been discussed.

Thanks everyone
Old 03-07-2013, 08:58 AM
New Members

Its unlikely that is causing the light to come on, but I could be wrong. Those are resistors. When you put the halogens bulbs back in are you still getting the message?
Old 03-07-2013, 09:03 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: MY07 525xi Silver Gray
Model Year: 2007

... maybe whatever you put into the already-cramped-housing obstructed the headlight adaptive movement?
Old 03-07-2013, 09:28 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2010 BMW 535 X-Drive | Sport, Premium, Cold, Nav | OEM MTech Kit | MTech V3 3.0 AE | RDash Plate Lights | Interior LED | 6000K Fogs | SAT Retrofit | Continental DWS | Jehnert Speakers | Gloss Vinyl Roof | Custom Ambient Amber Match LED Interior |

Yes, they are the resistors and I can't help but think that those obtrusive squares prevented the headlight adaptive movement. Thus, causing a malfunction. I'm no longer getting the light because I changed back to stock halogens, brought in for service, and dealership replaced them.

In my defense, I did research and found that the adaptive headlight has malfunctioned on it's own and my service records indicate that they found no evidence of aftermarket causing the malfunction.

I guess my question is, for everyone using aftermarket AE's with adpative headlamps, how/where are you putting the resistors?
Old 03-07-2013, 11:26 AM
New Members

Well the projector is what moves not the housing. I have a pre-lci Hid and I've had my Ae's in there for some time with no issues. I work at a dealer and we have had cars that come in with the adaptive lights not functioning. The motors inside the headlamp house apparently just die. So it might have been a coincidence they stopped working after you installed them.
I just put them to the inside the headlamp closests to the radiator side. and close the lamps.
Old 03-07-2013, 01:17 PM
New Members

Well, that's what the service advisor had told me because I asked how it could've died. He says he gets a few of them a week and the motor moving the headlight will occassionally just fail. I just want to make sure I'm not going to have to go back for the same reason in the near future. I'll reinstall and try putting the resistors closest to the radiator side tonight.