E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Continental + Michelin High performance Run-flats

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2005, 10:39 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by UUronL' date='Mar 18 2005, 10:34 AM
Without getting too OT here, I'm simply asking if there is a technical reason that would make it inadvisable to substitute Ultra High Performance tires for the runflats??

Specifically:

-Might the suspension/brakes/DSC be set up or tuned for the run flat tires' dynamics?
-Is the FTM going to constantly alarm if I use nonstandard tires?

I have driven hundreds of miles on spare tires, both skinny and normal - both of which bore labels admonishing me not to travel above 55mph or go more than a certain total distance.? The general concensus is that these warnings and scare tactics amount to nothing more than legal butt-covering.? I drove 70-80mph for hundreds of miles with no problems whatsoever.
[snapback]103316[/snapback]

Here's my experience with switching the tires. I put Michelin Pilot Sport A/S on the OEM rims instead of the runflats for my 'winter' setup. I use 19"rims and Max Performance tires for my 'summer' setup.

I found the handling with the Michelins was 'softer' than with the runflats. The ride was much better, but the turn-in response was not as good. The runflats have very stiff sidewalls, so you will see some decrease in turn-in response if you substitute standard tires onto the 18" rims. There is no problem with mounting or the tire pressure monitor, you merely have to use Idrive to reset the FTM. The chassis tuning is not 'disrupted' by using the standard tires, but at least with the Michelins, I felt the car was not as responsive.

With the 19" wheels and tires, the car rode better, braked quicker, was way, way more responsive, and felt like it picked up 30 horsepower. The 19" profile gives you a stiff sidewall, and my wheels are 10 - 12 lbs lighter than the OEM wheels. If you're not having problems with the runflats, and want to keep the same 18" wheels, I would consider sticking with the runflats. If you really want to improve your performance, get lightweight 19" wheels and Max Performance tires. Unbelievable difference.
Old 03-18-2005, 11:36 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i Mystic Blue/Black Leather Type 124 Wheels

Question is how will the run flat Michelin PS2 perform againt the normal PS2

Its one of the best Max Performance tires out there and now the only difference is the run-flat feature
Old 03-18-2005, 12:24 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

Originally Posted by speedracerF4i' date='Mar 18 2005, 02:18 PM
[quote name='UUronL' date='Mar 18 2005, 10:34 AM']
I have driven hundreds of miles on spare tires, both skinny and normal - both of which bore labels admonishing me not to travel above 55mph or go more than a certain total distance.? The general concensus is that these warnings and scare tactics amount to nothing more than legal butt-covering.? I drove 70-80mph for hundreds of miles with no problems whatsoever.
[snapback]103316[/snapback]
Why did you do that for?
[snapback]103378[/snapback]
[/quote]

I procrastinate and I work long hours. Not a good mix.