E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Continental + Michelin High performance Run-flats

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2005, 12:20 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 545i Mystic Blue/Black Leather Type 124 Wheels

Michelin has released the Michelin PS2 "Zero Pressure"

and

Continental has released the Sport Contact 2 SSR

They have been released with the new 3 Series so 5 Series sizes might not be available yet, but the PS2's are comming on E90 330i with 18" wheels
Old 03-17-2005, 12:20 PM
Senior Members

http://www.michelinman.ca/catalog/tires/Mi...retype=3&tire=3
Old 03-17-2005, 01:05 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 530d Sport - Carbon Black, Black Dakota Leather, Media Pack (satnav, bluetooth, CD changer), heated font seats, through load

No 245/40/18
Old 03-17-2005, 01:10 PM
Senior Members

They had to start somewhere, shure they will add more soon
Old 03-17-2005, 02:13 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

Originally Posted by E60Speed' date='Mar 17 2005, 05:10 PM
They had to start somewhere, shure they will add more soon
[snapback]103008[/snapback]

Question. I've got a 530i Sport on order and I've been wondering. Do you -have- to use run flat tires? I noticed that my sports package comes with a space saver spare. Other than the hassle of changing a tire (and looking silly driving on a skinny), is there any reason why I wouldn't want to use normal tires? I suppose in theory it could cause problems with the FTM, but based upon my limited understanding of how the flat tire monitor works, it shouldn't matter what tires are mounted right?
Old 03-17-2005, 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by UUronL' date='Mar 17 2005, 06:13 PM
Other than the hassle of changing a tire (and looking silly driving on a skinny), is there any reason why I wouldn't want to use normal tires?
[snapback]103043[/snapback]
How about the most obvious reason, which you appear to have overlooked -- safety??? Since you can still drive the car at a reasonable speed for a significant distance without air pressure in the tire, the run flats ensure that you should not lose control of your vehicle if any of the tires lose pressure.

In cars without run flats, this is a serious safety risk if there is a blowout. Honda felt so strongly about the improved safety of run flats that it made run flats standard on its Odyssey minivan.

If you don't care about safety, then by all means trade in your run flats for non-run flats.
Old 03-18-2005, 06:20 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i 6 spd Sports Package | NAV | PDC | Logic 7 | BT retrofit | SW V13.3

Originally Posted by Guest' date='Mar 18 2005, 12:09 AM
[quote name='UUronL' date='Mar 17 2005, 06:13 PM']Other than the hassle of changing a tire (and looking silly driving on a skinny), is there any reason why I wouldn't want to use normal tires?
How about the most obvious reason, which you appear to have overlooked -- safety??? Since you can still drive the car at a reasonable speed for a significant distance without air pressure in the tire, the run flats ensure that you should not lose control of your vehicle if any of the tires lose pressure.

In cars without run flats, this is a serious safety risk if there is a blowout. Honda felt so strongly about the improved safety of run flats that it made run flats standard on its Odyssey minivan.

If you don't care about safety, then by all means trade in your run flats for non-run flats.
[snapback]103187[/snapback]
[/quote]

Very true. However lets look at this in perspective. The RF technology still has its ride trade offs although this should be gone in a couple of years. Your post implies that we have all been endangering ourselves for the last 30 years of driving on non RFs.
Old 03-18-2005, 06:47 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Guest' date='Mar 18 2005, 02:09 AM
[quote name='UUronL' date='Mar 17 2005, 06:13 PM']Other than the hassle of changing a tire (and looking silly driving on a skinny), is there any reason why I wouldn't want to use normal tires?

[snapback]103187[/snapback]
[/quote]

I'll have to vehmenently disagree with you here. Saying 'if you don't care about safety...trade in your runflats' to a car ehthusiast is ridiculous. I can brake in a shorter distance and hold the road better in the dry and in the wet with my Max Performance tires than you can with your runflats. Whose car is safer? Besides, losing control of the car because you have a flat tire is not the main safety problem, it's getting out of the car and changing the tire. Look at the causes of auto fatalities in the US, and check out how many people were killed because they lost control of their car due to a flat tire.

Then check out how many people were killed because they were on a cellphone. Do you use a cellphone in the car? Better stop if you want to be safe. Check out how many people were killed because they weren't paying attention to what they were doing. Check out how many people were killed because they were poor drivers and exercised bad judjement. Have you taken an advanced driving course?

The fact is, the overwhelming majority of traffic accidents have one cause: bad driving. If you really are that concerned about safety, improve your driving skills. Or if you really want to be safe, don't drive at all.
Old 03-18-2005, 07:34 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

Without getting too OT here, I'm simply asking if there is a technical reason that would make it inadvisable to substitute Ultra High Performance tires for the runflats?

Specifically:

-Might the suspension/brakes/DSC be set up or tuned for the run flat tires' dynamics?
-Is the FTM going to constantly alarm if I use nonstandard tires?

I have driven hundreds of miles on spare tires, both skinny and normal - both of which bore labels admonishing me not to travel above 55mph or go more than a certain total distance. The general concensus is that these warnings and scare tactics amount to nothing more than legal butt-covering. I drove 70-80mph for hundreds of miles with no problems whatsoever.
Old 03-18-2005, 10:18 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: MY05 545i Jet Black with Auburn interior. SMG, Logic7, Sport Package, Comfort Seats, Navigation.

Originally Posted by UUronL' date='Mar 18 2005, 10:34 AM
I have driven hundreds of miles on spare tires, both skinny and normal - both of which bore labels admonishing me not to travel above 55mph or go more than a certain total distance.? The general concensus is that these warnings and scare tactics amount to nothing more than legal butt-covering.? I drove 70-80mph for hundreds of miles with no problems whatsoever.
[snapback]103316[/snapback]
Why did you do that for?

Quick Reply: Continental + Michelin High performance Run-flats