E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Connecting a Laser Pro 'Parking sensor'

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2007, 11:26 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 BMW 535d Mport, Carbon Black, Black Leather, stepped M167s, Visibility Pack, Media Pack, auto dimming mirror, full individually updated 200 W amp and speaker package including new door panels.

Just got a box full of goodies which in total are a Laser Park Pro kit.

In the installation book, it says connect the power spades to your battery terminal, just loosen the bolts and slide them in.

There is no battery in the engine bay, just a big reg flap and a bar sticking out of the weelarch.

Where do I connect these terminals without disrupting anything else in the engine bay? The rest of it looks straightforward but this is the bit I am stuck on.

Also, does anyone have an idea where to get a power feed from in the car as I dont want to use the cigar lighter socket.

thanks
Old 10-13-2007, 06:46 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 BMW 535d Mport, Carbon Black, Black Leather, stepped M167s, Visibility Pack, Media Pack, auto dimming mirror, full individually updated 200 W amp and speaker package including new door panels.
Thumbs down

has anyone installed one of these please?, and if so, where did you put the head, and where did you get power from?
Old 11-14-2007, 03:49 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545, Titanium Gray II, 6 Spd, CWP, Sat, LPP Laser Defense, V1 (hard-wired), iPod, 38% ceramic tint, CDV delete, H&R Street Performance Coil Overs, Forced Air Induction, DriveData Pro Camera System (4 cams), M5 Front Bumper

Originally Posted by jazzdude' post='481072' date='Oct 13 2007, 09:46 AM
has anyone installed one of these please?, and if so, where did you put the head, and where did you get power from?
JazzDude,

Sorry that I'm just seeing your post a month later.....

I can provide you with some assistance if you'd like. Please PM me if you'd like some specific help / advice.

In the meantime...

First off, it sounds like you have the wireless fitting kit as well, if you've got instructions to use the cigarette lighter and attach part of the unit directly to the battery terminal. If I'm correct, then first off it's not required to use the wireless configuration. Whether or not you want to do that depends on your views regarding your preferences on the hook-up.

I'll try and go over the pros and cons of a wireless LPP installation.

Pros:
- Faster hook-up
- No firewall punch-thru
- No drilling holes / "customization" of the dash, etc. to mount controls, LED, buzzer, etc.
- "Audio node" warning unit can be mounted virtually anywhere. It can also be switched off.
- Cheetah makes wireless radar detector interfaces which will also broadcast to the Audio Node receiver in the passenger compartment.

Cons:
- Lose ability to program the unit
- LPP unit cannot be turned off
(e.g. if you have the unit on "permanent" mode, you can not turn it off if desired after it has activated)
- The wireless Cheetah "audio node" must be either plugged into the cig lighter or hard wired from under the dash
- Lose the mute button, flashing LED, etc.

I have installed a wired setup in an E60 a few times, so when I have time I'll attempt to post some instructions and pics. Also, see some of my other posts, including my tutorial from awhile back on where / how to I installed a Lidatek laser jammer on my previous 5 series.

RR